Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 82
  1.    #1  
    Last edited by onetwotreo; 12/06/2004 at 09:31 AM.
  2. #2  
    Your title is wrong.
  3. Quake97's Avatar
    Posts
    557 Posts
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    #3  
    That's actually a decent article. I'm was going to go out and get a 7100t today anyway, this just makes me feel better about it. My company doesn't have a Blackberry server, so I'll lose some functionality, but that's fine. I'm really just an email junkie, so the Blackberry may be better for me anyway.

    Joe
  4.    #4  
    thanks...I just edited it from T500 to T650.
  5. #5  
    I have used both devices, and like the treo650 alot better. I have posted this before, but I had a 7100t for a couple of weeks and couldn't stand it. Here are some problems I had with it

    1. The volume on the phone was way to low.
    2. The screen is COMPLETELY unreadable in sunlight.
    3. If your company doesn't have a BES, you lose out on the best parts of this phone.
    4. The OS seemed very sluggish to me.
    5. Almost no available 3rd party apps
    6. Terrible battery life.
    7. No expandable memory


    I am very suprised the reviewer said the keyboard on the 7100t is better than the 650.
  6. #6  
    I agree with mobileman. Having used both devices the Treo is a very, very clear winner to me. Why?

    1. the screen - huge difference in favor of the Treo.
    2. Blackberry PIM apps are more basic than the US Robotic's PalmPilot's - just awful!
    3. a real keyboard is important. Yes the BB 7280 is easier because of it's width, but I prefer the compromise of the Treo over losing a full keyboard like the 7100T.
    4. if you think Versamail is poor at rendering anything but text emails try the handheld email client on the BB. Even though there is a built-in HTML brower on thw BB, they don't link together. So HTML emails appear empty and I couldn't follow links to the web!

    there are other reasons too and the 650 isn't perfect by any stretch, but it is a very clear winner for me.

    Actually, these devices are aimed at different buyers anyway (cost for example) and I think the ONLY valid comparison would be with the BB 77xx series.

    This article is a waste of paper.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
  7. #7  
    The reviewer left out some key issues like, better screen, memory expandibility, MP3 player, more third-party software support, and more capable bluebooth on the Treo 650. This review feels biased.
  8. #8  
    What a waste of time to have to read that article. The ONLY thing I agree with is the deficiency of VersaMail, which I don't use anyway. For ANYONE to compare the BB favorably (OVERALL) to even the Treo 300, tells me that ignorance or bribery are at work. The clown calls himself a loyal Palm OS user? I really wonder about that considering that he had no alternatives for VersaMail.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  9. 1SFG's Avatar
    Posts
    191 Posts
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    #9  
    you guys are funny. if the 650 had won you'd be heaping praise on the guy. he evaluated two devices and gave his opinion on which one is the best. we're all here, well most of us are, because we've made the decision that we like the treo and/or palm os better. clearly, however, the consensus is that for ease of use and getting the job done, the blackberry is right there with the treo - if not a winner over the treo due to the simplicity of the device. as opposed to the treo which tries to do a whole lot of things and fails to get some of them right, the blackberry tries to do less and get it right. i don't own one - probably never will, but i won't knock it because i'm a fan of the treo...
    1st SFG (A)

    if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
  10. #10  
    as opposed to the treo which tries to do a whole lot of things and fails to get some of them right, the blackberry tries to do less and get it right
    I guessed you never used the 7100t, because Im still trying to figure out what it does right.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SFG
    you guys are funny. if the 650 had won you'd be heaping praise on the guy. he evaluated two devices and gave his opinion on which one is the best. we're all here, well most of us are, because we've made the decision that we like the treo and/or palm os better. clearly, however, the consensus is that for ease of use and getting the job done, the blackberry is right there with the treo - if not a winner over the treo due to the simplicity of the device. as opposed to the treo which tries to do a whole lot of things and fails to get some of them right, the blackberry tries to do less and get it right. i don't own one - probably never will, but i won't knock it because i'm a fan of the treo...
    I agree and disagree somewhat. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but I truly feel that this reviewer did a poor job of reviewing the two phones. I have no problem whatsoever that he likes the Blackberry more than the Treo. Heck, there are a lot of people out there who are just like him.

    The V7100 and Treo 650 are inherently two very different devices. The V7100 is more like a Honda Civic, basic and gets the job done. The Treo 650 is more like a Porsche 911, fast and more capable. Sure, both cars will get you from point A to point B, and if that's your major criteria in evluating cars, the Honda will win every time. But you don't see many reviewer put them in the same review, do you? That's where this reviewer failed, IMHO.
  12. #12  
    Rim did two things that Palm should have done:

    1. They aggressively marketed a PUSH email solution to businesses
    2. They aggressively marketed a cheaper handheld solution to businesses

    That is it. With a good serverside sync (activesync may do it) Palm blows the doors off RIM. take it from users of both - not someone who "hasn't tried" the BB.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
  13. #13  
    Remember that this review was in Forbes. The criteria by which the devices were evaluated changes based on the assumed end-user market. If Slash-dot or some other geek source reviewed both I'm sure that the Treo 650 would easily win the comparison, but having read the article I completely understand why the reviewer gave the nod to the Blackberry, and I don't think bribery was involved. The Blackberry won because of it's reliable simplicity. Blackberry's are all about easy-to-use, always on, reliable email and they do that very well. They are excellent business tools and business users have come to love them because they are so reliable. If email is the first and last thing you must consider then Blackberry is probably the way go. And the simplified contact/schedule software is a bonus not a detractor for a lot of people who want reliable ease-of-use above everything else. Finally, while the Treo wins hands down for expandability (through the huge library of software and the SD card slot,) I think that the review was deliberately focused on out-of-the-box functionality and for most non-techy business users out-of-box functionality is a far as either device will go.

    Personally I know that I could never be happy with a Blackberry over a full-fledged pda device like the Treo, but there are friends of mine for whom the Blackberry is perfect. So I don't think the reviewer is crazy or that the review has no merit when you take into account the assumed audiance of the review.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by perry_rob
    Rim did two things that Palm should have done:

    1. They aggressively marketed a PUSH email solution to businesses
    2. They aggressively marketed a cheaper handheld solution to businesses

    That is it. With a good serverside sync (activesync may do it) Palm blows the doors off RIM. take it from users of both - not someone who "hasn't tried" the BB.
    That is it??? Two pretty key moves!

    -rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  15. #15  
    I agree. Very, very key moves. They out-flanked Palm and you can really see it in the marketplace and in stock prices.

    But those advantages don't mean a BB is better. Just better sold and targeted.

    IMHO
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by perry_rob
    But those advantages don't mean a BB is better.
    Better is relative. Product A. may be better for some users, while Product B. may be better for other users. In the world of "smart" phones it is not one size fits all. So in spite of the fact that I would MUCH MUCH prefer a Treo650 personally, I will readily concede that a Blackberry is a better product for some business users who don't require the flexibility of the 650, but who do require the reliability and simplicity of the BB.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
  17. alee's Avatar
    Posts
    410 Posts
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    #17  
    In the end, email remains the killer application, and is largely why RIM has done so well. They have perfected email -- even PalmOne recognizes this with their relationship with RIM to license the BlackBerry technology. The Treo 650 needs to improve on ruggedness and real-time email delivery -- after this, it will be a different ball game.

    Businesses will pay more attention when PalmOne can deliver a device that is compatible with BES -- a true enterprise standard. Sure GoodLink is out there, but their market presence is still pretty small, and their licenses are fairly expensive compared to BES.

    It was a nice and balanced review. The Treo gets appropriate kudos for a superior PDA functionality and good browsing capabilities. The RIM gets recognized for what it does well, email and battery life. RIM is adapting quickly to the market demands -- PalmOne has been a lot slower and more deliberate. Both companies can stand to learn a lot from each other.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by alee
    In the end, email remains the killer application, and is largely why RIM has done so well. They have perfected email -- even PalmOne recognizes this with their relationship with RIM to license the BlackBerry technology. The Treo 650 needs to improve on ruggedness and real-time email delivery -- after this, it will be a different ball game.

    Businesses will pay more attention when PalmOne can deliver a device that is compatible with BES -- a true enterprise standard. Sure GoodLink is out there, but their market presence is still pretty small, and their licenses are fairly expensive compared to BES.

    It was a nice and balanced review. The Treo gets appropriate kudos for a superior PDA functionality and good browsing capabilities. The RIM gets recognized for what it does well, email and battery life. RIM is adapting quickly to the market demands -- PalmOne has been a lot slower and more deliberate. Both companies can stand to learn a lot from each other.
    You've hit the nail on the head (IMHO).
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
  19. #19  
    The RIM gets recognized for what it does well, email and battery life.
    Battery life on the 7100t is awful.
  20. #20  
    I can't agree. I have a 7100t, a 650, and a iPaq 6315 and the BlackBerry has the best battery life (by far) of the three.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions