Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I'm on the fence between these two devices (with the Audiovox 5600 still in the running - hey, it's free). I have BES support, which pushes me toward the 7100. The BB/Sprint/P1 solution may be available in Q1 '05 - when BB service is available on the 650 does that sway any 7100 users to the 650? Just curious if the push email is the only reason to favor the 7100.
    Just curious if the push email is the only reason to favor the 7100.

Having used both devices, I cannot honestly think of any other reason to use the 7100t over the 650.
    Last edited by mobileman; 12/07/2004 at 05:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ree Nigne
    I'm on the fence between these two devices (with the Audiovox 5600 still in the running - hey, it's free). I have BES support, which pushes me toward the 7100. The BB/Sprint/P1 solution may be available in Q1 '05 - when BB service is available on the 650 does that sway any 7100 users to the 650? Just curious if the push email is the only reason to favor the 7100.
    Hmmm. I have a Sprint T600 and have been thinking of switching to a BB7100 to get the push e-mail (company has BES and will buy the device for me), but I would love to stay with the Treo (or upgrade to the 650) if I could get the Blackberry e-mail. Are you saying that there's some chance that I may be able to use my Treo to get my e-mail through the BES server? And that it may be available within a few months? Is this anything more than a rumor?
    Quote Originally Posted by danielg280
    Are you saying that there's some chance that I may be able to use my Treo to get my e-mail through the BES server? And that it may be available within a few months? Is this anything more than a rumor?
    No it is not a rumor:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=6824

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/425-1.htm

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer
    I think I may go get the 7100, I'm tired of waiting on the GSM 650. What to do - What to do?
    Ask yourself if you'll still truly be happy with your 7100 AFTER the GSM 650 is readily available, or will you regret the decision and realize that you only bought the 7100 out of impatience to get something already.

(I know I've personally almost jumped ship a couple of times /pda2k, nokia 9500, Sony Ericsson 910/ but I know that once the 650 comes out I won't really be happy so I wait. I hate waiting but what are gonna do.)
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    I just read this article. I guess if this is the kind of use Forbs types get out of their devices, then I should change my use pattern if I ever want to be filthy rich

Seriously though, his benchmark application was almost solely email and only the delivery of email (nothing to say about two-way synching of mailboxes). So it basically was a comparison between a "VersaMail device" vs a Blackberry in email delivery. Seen in that light, no one could win against a Blackberry at this point. VersaMail is decent (and does much more than he judged it on) yet has some bugs still. Blackberry mail is considered a gold standard in email deilvery and it has been around a long time.

It's easy to see why he thinks the blackberry device is much better. If email delivery is your most important use and you could care less what else your device could do, you'd be wasting your money to go with anything else.
    Last edited by silverado; 12/07/2004 at 07:08 PM.
    It is more than just the “Gold Standard” email that makes the 7100 special. It is stable, quick and easy. When my belt buzzes I can pull my 7100 out like a gunslinger and quickly see what’s up—no pushing an e-mail button etc…

The 7100 cannot touch the 650 as far as capability (no camera, no docs to go, blazer rocks, no ereader, etc), but for quick calendar/contacts/email coupled with a great phone, it seems hard to beat. It is subjective, but I just feel like my 7100 always works quick and easy.

That being said, I do carry both the 650 and 7100 (and sometimes my iPaq 6315 too since I am a loozer) because no one device pulls it all together for me. The 650 is closest to my ideal on all crieteria, but the 7100 just feels more stable and efficient for basic connectivity/pda. Perhaps as I use the 650 more that will change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    Ask yourself if you'll still truly be happy with your 7100 AFTER the GSM 650 is readily available, or will you regret the decision and realize that you only bought the 7100 out of impatience to get something already.

(I know I've personally almost jumped ship a couple of times /pda2k, nokia 9500, Sony Ericsson 910/ but I know that once the 650 comes out I won't really be happy so I wait. I hate waiting but what are gonna do.)
    At the 7100T's price point, it is a hard to lose proposition. Plus, you have 14 days to try and return if you don't like it
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman
    Having used both devices, I cannot honestly think of any other reason to use the 7100t over the 650.
    Based on these forums and my knowledge of the 7100T, I would say price, voice quality, blue tooth quality, size/weight, durability (e.g., if dropped), stability and calendar management (bb synchs calendar OTA as well). Security might be better/more seamless.

I have an easier time installing Java apps as well (the runtimes are included but I'm not sure if they are on the 650...they weren't on the 600)
    Based on these forums and my knowledge of the 7100T, I would say price, voice quality, blue tooth quality, size/weight, durability (e.g., if dropped), stability and calendar management (bb synchs calendar OTA as well). Security might be better/more seamless.

1. Pricewise the 7100 wins. However, to get it to do the things the 650 does out of the box, the price becomes nearly the same.

2. The voice quality on my 650 is easily better than my old 7100. I always felt the 7100 was to low, even at maximum volume.

3. For basic calander management maybe, but it doesnt even come close to intermediate to advanced functions the 650 has, and don't even get me started on the terrible contact management on the 7100.

4. Java apps do load fairly easy on the 7100, but there are so few java apps to load that have been designed for the 7100. To be honest, Now that the new Blazer is so improved, I will probably not even load the new java client when it becomes available for the 650 (no more reqwireless for me).
    2. The voice quality on my 650 is easily better than my old 7100. I always felt the 7100 was to low, even at maximum volume.
    Can't assess vs. the 650. Compared to the 600, I know that those that I call often compliment me on the new phone (for call quality) or think I'm on a landline. My wife loves the new call quality. Might be the difference between Tmobile and Sprint in Chicago. I also based this on some of the forum user complaints that the 650 sounds digitized (which is similar to my experience on the 600).

Java apps do load fairly easy on the 7100, but there are so few java apps to load that have been designed for the 7100. To be honest, Now that the new Blazer is so improved, I will probably not even load the new java client when it becomes available for the 650 (no more reqwireless for me)
    The Java apps don't have to be written for the 7100T (Java). Many mobile phone games, etc. work. Other than the java apps at Magmic and reqwireless, there aren't that many robust Java apps out there that I know of off hand (just a slight plus).

I would be curious at how fast reqwireless is on the 650...must smoke.
    The Java apps don't have to be written for the 7100T (Java). Many mobile phone games, etc. work. Other than the java apps at Magmic and reqwireless, there aren't that many robust Java apps out there that I know of off hand (just a slight plus).
    Yep, I know. There are 1000s of midlets out there that will probably work with the 7100. The problem is, most of them are crap.

Magmic does make some nice games though.

As for sound problems on the 650, mine has none (knock wood).
    3. For basic calander management maybe, but it doesnt even come close to intermediate to advanced functions the 650 has,
    I read today that the 650 doesn't have a week view anymore? I'd love to learn what has been added (truly) as I have a good sense of the 600 but not the 650.

Here are the 7100T major calendar functions (assuming BB turned on):
    -accept calendar invites (integrated with email). One nice feature here is that you can "view calendar" and it goes to the time slot (in Notes on my PC it goes to the day but not the time)
    -Create new entry with invitees (doesn't check free time on other user's calendars a big minus)
    -HUGE: Over the air (OTA) synchronization with my Notes calendar. If my admin is adding appointments while I'm out-of-the office (e.g., I'm on a day trip on Friday and she adds a meeting for Monday morning). Changes get pushed immediately.
    -Go to date
    -Repeating appointments
    -Prev/next day/week
    -View week (almost exactly like the 600)
    -View month
    -View agenda (long running list of appointments)
    -Preferences (initial view, default reminder, start/end of day, First day of week, Confirm delete, length of time to keep appointments.

Doesn't show tasks or other non-calendar date-related items (is this where it falls short?)

and don't even get me started on the terrible contact management on the 7100.
    This seems pretty close to the Treo 600 for me. I can search by last name or first name, search, etc. The fields seem basically the same. What is the major difference. Not challenging you just want to learn the differences.

From the address book on the 7100T, you can initiate email, calls (it prompts for the number you want to call), SMS, etc.

I can also do lookups on our corporate directory (major plus)
    Has this thread turned into a 7100T informercial?
    Please point out where it has gone off topic.I can't represent the 650 side but it will likely be useful to some based on the PMs I have received.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins

I may just buy it to tide me over until the GSM is released.
    That was definitley a biased review. I'm using versamail to check email on my company account as well as aol; no problems whatsoever.
    The keyboard on the Blackberry is in no way shape or fort better than the treo; tapping a key three times defeats the purpose of even meshing all those letters together in the first place!

To each their own; this review was definitley biased; The treo comes loaded with the palm apps we've all grown up with for years. That in itself is priceless.
    Let's not even touch the memory expansion issue on the blackberry!
    I may just buy it to tide me over until the GSM is released.

If your expecting a similar experience to the treo, I think you will be dissapointed.

I originally got mine to tide me over until the 650 was released. Besides all the issues I had with the phone that I have discussed in this thread, I found after a couple of weeks, I was just bored of it.
    My 650 has a day view, week view, month view, and agenda view. I don't know what others are talking about when they say it doesn't have a week view.

Quote Originally Posted by camartin
    I read today that the 650 doesn't have a week view anymore? I'd love to learn what has been added (truly) as I have a good sense of the 600 but not the 650.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by quagsire
    It is more than just the “Gold Standard” email that makes the 7100 special. It is stable, quick and easy.
    Maybe for you. I was commenting on what the reviewer said. He basically compared the two as email push devices, a contest with any modern Blackberry device will win.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast