Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman
    The only program I found to view and/or edit word and excel programs on the 7100t is $119.00. The treo 650 includes documents to go for free.
    Does the free DTG on the 650 allow editing? It didn't on the 600. Nonetheless, buyers of the 7100T will have plenty of change left to pay $119 after only spending $150ish on the 7100T.
    camartin,

What exactly does the BB offer that a Good + Treo solution doesn't? Or that a Good + BB Connect solution wouldn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by camartin
    After having used both the Treo and the 7100T I would say that you may have slightly understated the 7100T as it is truly a smartphone in every way that I need it to be (phone, web, games, extremely robust, push email, calendar synch and invites, Word, Excel and PPT viewing [some add programs to edit]. I'm not missing much (I use an iPod for music for many good reason over the Treo and video/digital cameras when needed). To me, the price, features, ease of use, durability and stability of the 7100T redefine the word "smart" in every sense of the word.
    As I had previously mentioned, I am happy that you like/enjoy your 7100, and that's what counts. Mobile devices are all about personal choices and perferences. One size doesn't fit all.

As for our difference in the definition of "smartphone", we just have to agree to disagree. I like the fact that, with the Treo 650, I don't have to carry an iPod for music-listening and a digital camera for pictures-taking. Sure, Treo 650 doesn't do those two tasks as well as an iPod and a digital camera, then again, I only have to carry one device instead of three. That's just the trade off one has to make.

Enjoy your 7100, and hopefully we will see you back in the Palm OS camp one day when a compelling product can lure you back.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I currently own the T600, and I am planning on upgrading next year to the T650 when VZW starts selling it. My bestfriend uses a BB 7100 and it definitely gets votes for aesthetic appeal. sync capabilities with outlook, and receives and sends email consistent with a BB 7750 does utilizing BES (fast and consistent pushes). And the ability to make calls on the 7100 is light year's ahead of the the other BB capable phones. At least for me, the BB 7100 falls down for the lack of the qwerty keyboard and the browser. The T600 is easier to type with, and the web browser seems to work much better - my friend and I compated side 2 side and even though the T600 doesn't have high - res, images were easier to see and read.

Typing emails on the 7100 was a nightmare. I think most power BB/Treo users are looking at the keyboard when you type a message. If you do this with the 7100, you will write a sentence that is complete nonsense - you have to look at the keyboard to choose the correct option each time the BB doesn't know which word you are actually trying to type. Maybe this gets better as the 7100 learns common words, but just typing a two sentence email for me was a nightmare.

So that's my view - T600/T650 wins hand down!
    Does the free DTG on the 650 allow editing? It didn't on the 600. Nonetheless, buyers of the 7100T will have plenty of change left to pay $119 after only spending $150ish on the 7100T.

It includes the full version of Documents-To-Go 7. I paid $399 for my 650.
    I think all devices that share phone, PIM, email, web as a core set of features should be compared. The reason is that the target audience of these devices are roughly the same unless you only want to appeal to the die hard gadget lovers who, IMO, seem to mostly value the amount of features that can be crammed into a device. The average user needs to make a decision and all devices should be considered depending on the individual needs of the user (a side-by-side feature comparison of all products with the core features above would be very useful)
    Kudos to the first person who creates this comparison table or who finds an existing comparison somewhere on the web it'd be very helpful!
    go.digital
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    camartin,

What exactly does the BB offer that a Good + Treo solution doesn't? Or that a Good + BB Connect solution wouldn't?
    My company is a Notes shop. They only support BB.
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo
    Typing emails on the 7100 was a nightmare. I think most power BB/Treo users are looking at the keyboard when you type a message. If you do this with the 7100, you will write a sentence that is complete nonsense - you have to look at the keyboard to choose the correct option each time the BB doesn't know which word you are actually trying to type. Maybe this gets better as the 7100 learns common words, but just typing a two sentence email for me was a nightmare.

So that's my view - T600/T650 wins hand down!
    My experience is that typing on the 7100T isn't a nightmare. The trick is to not pay attention to what is going on until the word is complete. There are very few words that require resolution by the user. We have several very happy users of the 7100T in my office and none have complained about typing being a nightmare (not taking away from your experience). It does take more than two sentences to train yourself on the new keyboard and the shortcuts, etc. that can help. Granted, the keyboard is going to be a deal breaker for some.
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo
    At least for me, the BB 7100 falls down for the lack of the qwerty keyboard and the browser. The T600 is easier to type with, and the web browser seems to work much better - my friend and I compated side 2 side and even though the T600 doesn't have high - res, images were easier to see and read.
    I agree the native browser isn't that great. Have your friend try Reqwireless which does a great job (easily 2X faster than the native browser) and pretty accurate at rendering pages. It also does a good job of only loading text first and then each image one-by-one (as long as the images aren't too large from a processing perspective).

Also, the BB browser has several emulation modes that you can try:
    -Blackberry
    -Openwave
    -Openwave (Gateway)
    -Microsoft IE
    -MS Pocket IE
    -Netscape
    I typically use the Microsoft IE mode with decent success (if I don't use Reqwireless...e.g., the BB browser is better with mobile.treocentral.com).

IMO, having high res significantly improves the page viewing experience compared to the Treo 600 regardless of layout (especially on image intensive sites).
    My experience is that typing on the 7100T isn't a nightmare. The trick is to not pay attention to what is going on until the word is complete. There are very few words that require resolution by the user.

I remember the 7100t had lots of problems with the word "are", it always came up as "see". Also, if you email users that are not in your contact list, it is close to being a nightmare to type their names in.
    The free DTG does allowing editing on the Treo 650. So with the additional package on the BB you are at $319 (I'm pretty sure the 7100T's price is $200 with contract) vs. the Treo's price of $450 with contract.

If you add in the price of mp3 players and the ability to do things such as SSH (which is key for my job), the Treo 650 is just as good a value. For some, such as myself, it's a better business tool than the BB.
    I remember the 7100t had lots of problems with the word "are", it always came up as "see". Also, if you email users that are not in your contact list, it is close to being a nightmare to type their names in.
    I choose not to use the word "are" (kidding). Once you "train" the phone on words like "are" it will guess are more often than "see" depending on the context.

There is a mode that guesses words and a mode that allows users to "double tap" words. Double tap is used for things like names that seen't easily guessed.

Also, for internal emails, I can look-up email addresses using our corporate directory via. the BES which is pretty efficient (I only need to know part of the name not the email address).

These see valid points. Certain parts seen't as easy but the tradeoff of larger keys on a smaller device see worth it for me (also, having large number keys for dialing is nice).
    I think I may go get the 7100, I'm tired of waiting on the GSM 650. What to do - What to do?
    Will Cingular get the BlackBerry 7100? Will they get any PPC's for that matter? Do you think they will be the first GSM carrier with the 650?
    I think I may go get the 7100, I'm tired of waiting on the GSM 650. What to do - What to do?

I think you need to ask yourself, what your going to be using the device for? If its mostly used for pushed email in a corporate environment, then you might like the device.

If you do not have access to a BES server, dont even think about getting one.
    These see valid points. Certain parts seen't as easy but the tradeoff of larger keys on a smaller device see worth it for me (also, having large number keys for dialing is nice).

I find the lenghth to actually be alittle bit longer, but it is narrower.
    I find the lenghth to actually be alittle bit longer, but it is narrower.
    and thinner and weighs less. The 7100T is actually 1/2 inch or so shorter (counting the antennae on the Treo).
    I think you need to ask yourself, what your going to be using the device for? If its mostly used for pushed email in a corporate environment, then you might like the device.

If you do not have access to a BES server, dont even think about getting one.
    I have been using a PC for redirection (while I set up my BES) and it is not bad at all. Certainly better than Sprint BC.
    and thinner and weighs less
    It definately weighs less. I actually felt it had a plasticy feel to it, while the treo feels more substantial. This ofcourse might differ from user to user.
    It definately weighs less. I actually felt it had a plasticy feel to it, while the treo feels more substantial. This ofcourse might differ from user to user.
    The treo does feel more substantial. I do tend to slip with the treo more though. They are both pretty easy to carry although the 7100's holster (with profiles) is pretty nice.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast