Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I can't agree. I have a 7100t, a 650, and a iPaq 6315 and the BlackBerry has the best battery life (by far) of the three.

Maybe my unit had problems then, because I found the battery to be far worse than the 650. The biggest problem for me with the 7100 was the screen. I just dont understand how anybody could buy a phone that is unuseable outdoors as the 7100t is.
    Quote Originally Posted by alee
    Businesses will pay more attention when PalmOne can deliver a device that is compatible with BES -- a true enterprise standard. Sure GoodLink is out there, but their market presence is still pretty small, and their licenses are fairly expensive compared to BES.

It was a nice and balanced review. The Treo gets appropriate kudos for a superior PDA functionality and good browsing capabilities. The RIM gets recognized for what it does well, email and battery life. RIM is adapting quickly to the market demands -- PalmOne has been a lot slower and more deliberate. Both companies can stand to learn a lot from each other.
    I disagree with a couple of your points here. First, Good link is not any more expensive than BES, in some instances, it is a cheaper and a better solution.

Second, the reviewer compared Treo 650's built-in Versa email with 7100's built in BES. That's somewhat apples and oranges. Versa is a client-based pull solution while BES is a server-based push solution. A better comparision would be between the 7100 and a Treo 650 with Visto and/or Seven email functionality.

Third, the reviewer failed to mention the faster processor, better screen, better bluebooth, memory expandibility, and more third-party software support on the Treo 650.

Sure, if a user's need is to simply check emails and take some phone calls, Treo 650 is certainly an overkill. However, if your need is for a smartphone that can do more than just email and voice, 7100, imho, falls short.
    They are different beasts. I compared the 650 running Sprint Business Connect, 7100t Running the BB Desktop redirector, and the iPaq 6315 running Smartner desktop redirector.

Email-wise—I do like the 7100t better.

The bent of any good business review will be “bang for the buck”, and for $200 the 7100t offers a lot. Is the 650 a better PDA?—Yes. Is the 650 more multifaceted?—Yes. If you are Joe business user who just wants mobile e-mail and basic PDA is the 650 worth it?-- probably not.

End of the day—I love all three of my phones but (without thinking about it) when I can carry only one—it is the 7100t.
    That review is absolutely the lamest thing ever! First of all, the reveiwer criticizes the 650 for have too many featues like a cam etc? HUH? This guy is NOT looking for a full fledged multifunction smartphone in his daily use and thus is the qualified person to write the review b/c he will NEVER be the type of user who will ustilize the Treo to it's full capabilities. All he really commented were the core email and phone functionalities in which he said the 7100 and 650 excelled respectively. Other than that, he does not go any further into the customization and apps available for either devices. With the 7100, the functionality you get out the box is it..there is really nothing else you can add to the device to increase funtionality. This is obviously not the case with the 650...

These two devices are completely different. One is a quasi-smartphone with good core email functionality (7100), while the other is a true full fledge smartphone/pdaphone with OS and various 3rd party solutions...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    That review is absolutely the lamest thing ever! First of all, the reveiwer criticizes the 650 for have too many featues like a cam etc? HUH? This guy is NOT looking for a full fledged multifunction smartphone in his daily use and thus is the qualified person to write the review b/c he will NEVER be the type of user who will ustilize the Treo to it's full capabilities. All he really commented were the core email and phone functionalities in which he said the 7100 and 650 excelled respectively. Other than that, he does not go any further into the customization and apps available for either devices. With the 7100, the functionality you get out the box is it..there is really nothing else you can add to the device to increase funtionality. This is obviously not the case with the 650...

These two devices are completely different. One is a quasi-smartphone with good core email functionality (7100), while the other is a true full fledge smartphone/pdaphone with OS and various 3rd party solutions...
    The review isn't the lamest thing ever. It wasn't intended for a typical treocentral member, but was written as advice for businessmen, and thus focused on the appropriatness of each device in a business context. (A lot of companies have policies against phone cameras hence the reason P1 offers cameraless treos.) In this sense I think the reviewer did a good job. As for how appropriate it is to compare a 650 to a 7100, I think since P1 is pushing the 650 at the Blackberry market (hence their deal to license the Blackberry software for push email on the 650) it's probably being reviewed in Forbes because P1 sent Forbes a review model. No one complained when Mossberg compared the 650 to the 7100 in his review, so why is it an issue now in this review?

As I've stated before I personally need/want/desire the 650 way more than a Blackberry but that doesn't mean it's the best device for every user. If P1 wants to be successful in taking marketshare from RIM they may want to look at some of the issues raised in this review.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    I thought the review was somewhat unfair. For one thing, I much prefer Treo's keyboard to 7100t's, and there must be people out there who feels the opposite. It's more of a personal preference IMO, and to say "7100t wins because I like its keyboard better" sounds, well, stupid. Secondly, while I think 7100t deserves to get praises for its email reliability, it's also somewhat unfair and simplistic to dismiss Treo's email capabilities when there are other email solutions for Treo that are much more capable and reliable than using versamail to check messages on Yahoo mail.
    I maintain that people like (or think they want) Blackberries (7100 or whatever - the idea is the same) rather than a full-blown device like a Treo due purely to marketing speak and user momentum. I talk with BB users at the airport or wherever and they say 'all I want is email' and 'I don't need all the rest of that stuff'. Therefore in their minds (along with all the BB users), all they need is a stripped down email device. They've all been brainwashed by RIM to not EXPECT MORE in a device. Typically, when I show those same users what I do on my 600 (much less a 650), they look at me dumbstruck. 'Why can't I do that on my BB' and 'wonder why we don't have those here at X Company?'
    The answer has multiple components, but the most simplistic view is the mass of BB users out there has been conditioned to only expect/need basic email access, reliably, all the time.
    When I explain my device can easily do THAT and a lot more, they usually scratch their head and kind of gaze at their BB, wondering why they went down that path.
    I jest, but you get the idea - palmOne's goal needs to be, and they're doing it with a ton of ads and marketing and such, is to change the market's ideas of what is needed in a device like this. Get people to expect/demand more, and then you'll see the Treo beating BB. it will be interesting to see if that happens....
    Look, the Treo may or not be better then the bb, but the real beauty of the Treo is the Palm OS and the ability at last count of over 10000 registered developers to build programs that through the forces of the market succeed or fail. To me, without a doubt P1 will prevail with a device for which the users at the end of the day have the greatest say on what works and what doesn't. No other OS has the strength to innovate and improve as the Palm OS. That is without a doubt the greatest thing it has going for it, and, thus, the Treo as well.

Those who compare are often not acutely aware of what it truely can do through the use of its apps that are very far reaching. It a shame that these pseudo reviewers don't consider this all important feature.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 12/06/2004 at 08:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbatsea
    I thought the review was somewhat unfair. For one thing, I much prefer Treo's keyboard to 7100t's, and there must be people out there who feels the opposite. It's more of a personal preference IMO, and to say "7100t wins because I like its keyboard better" sounds, well, stupid. Secondly, while I think 7100t deserves to get praises for its email reliability, it's also somewhat unfair and simplistic to dismiss Treo's email capabilities when there are other email solutions for Treo that are much more capable and reliable than using versamail to check messages on Yahoo mail.
    I will have to agree with you that the keyboard review is a highly subjective thing and I do question the 7100 winning on this point because I simply don't like the idea software solution for input that relies on a dictionary of know words since as the review pointed this input method fails with names/email address, not to mention the fun it takes out of deliberate misspellings.

As for email, as I said in a previous post, I think it's fair for a reviewer, especially in the context of a review for an average business user who is unlikely to spend much time customizing their device, to focus on the out-of-the-box functionality so in that sense P1 lives and dies by the choice of bundled email client. (Although a more complete review might/should have at least pointed out the option for users to add a different if they choose.)
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    As a typical business user, the Forbes article pretty accurately describes my sentiments.

I am a 7100T convert (from T600 and T300). My reasons include:
    -Wanted hi res but also needed to move to GSM for global travel and was unhappy with Sprint customer service (e.g., having to go to a store to replace a phone and endure 45 minute wait times to have the phone checked)
    -Need to connect to my work email. Blackberry is the only option offered
    -Dissatisfaction with T600 as I had to replace the unit a couple of times
    -Didn't like the specs that were coming out on the 650 (especially the memory bit as I was low with the T600)
    -Added applications on the Palm platform weren't valuable to me as many that I tried either: (1) weren't stable for me (e.g., Lightwav), (2) required expensive upgrades everytime the Palm platform was upgraded even slightly (Docs-to-go), (3) added a function to the device that should have been included natively (e.g., separate alarm application), or (4) tried to replace a function that is better suited to other devices IMO (e.g., MP3s and video recording)
    -The weight of the 7100T is MUCH less (in hindsite much more comfortable to use over long periods). I even dropped my 7100T on my hardwood kitchen floor last night and I can't even find a scuff mark and the phone still works great!! My Treo 600 would have been knocked out for sure (4' fall to a hard surface)

7100T pleasant surprises
    -Price to capability
    -Ease of use in non-US locations (seamless, turn on and phone/mail/calendar start working
    -Keyboard (with excellent backlighting)
    -Bluetooth range
    -Screen resolution
    -Java application loading (Texas Aces Holdem, Reqwireless)
    -Phone quality is outstanding in my location (4x better than Spring)
    -Battery life is good (holds up well to my day trip test)
    -Outstanding email/calendar synchronization (blackberry)
    -Separate alarm application (I didn't like having my wake-up alarm on my calendar on the Treo 600). Even allows you to ignore the alarm on weekends.
    -5 bars of coverage on T-Mobile at my house vs. 1 bar with Sprint (this is huge as I can now use my phone in the basement, etc.) and can take work calls at home
    -Given that it is a Blackberry, I never have to connect it to my PC

7100T not so great:
    -Not good for posting to web pages (spacing causes focus to be lost on text boxes, etc.)
    -Replaceable battery and charger expensive ($100 for both)
    -Native browser is slow. Reqwireless smokes, though
    -Some lack of coverage with T-Mobile (generally excellent but not as good in buildings)
    -Have to get used to the scrollwheel and menu system
    -Some minor usability issues with Bluetooth (if I hang up a call with the headset button after the other caller hangs up I end up calling that caller back).
    -Takes about two minutes to boot up after you replace a battery
    -Processor slower which shows up on graphic-intensive sites like engadget (the browser processes the images with an hour glass from time-to-time)
    -$40/month data fees for Blackberry

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that the Treo 650 bluetooth is better than the 7100T. My only argument is that it doesn't appear that the 650 bluetooth works as advertised with many of the profiles (based on feedback within TC) so I discount the value of bluetooth on T650 vs. 7100T where it works great.

I like the keyboard on the 7100 much more than my old T600. The keys are larger and flat, typing is accurate (you don't notice the two letter thing after a while). The T600 keys were too pointed and hard to press causing fatigue with long notes.

Finally, the key to my happiness with the 7100T was reflected in the Forbes article "My frustrations with the BlackBerry were minor compared to the much bigger issues I had with the Treo." The 7100T is a device that just works and I've found T-Mobile's customer service function to be outstanding (for early set-up issues/questions).
    Last edited by camartin; 12/07/2004 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Added data fees as a negative
    camartin ,

Have you tried using the 7100t outside yet? If you have, you'll notice that the screen washes out to the point you can't see a thing. Not being able to see the screen outdoors is a major problem for a cell phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by camartin
    As a typical business user, the Forbes article pretty accurately describes my sentiments.

I am a 7100T convert (from T600 and T300). My reasons include:
    -Wanted hi res but also needed to move to GSM for global travel and was unhappy with Sprint customer service (e.g., having to go to a store to replace a phone and endure 45 minute wait times to have the phone checked)
    -Need to connect to my work email. Blackberry is the only option offered
    -Dissatisfaction with T600 as I had to replace the unit a couple of times
    -Didn't like the specs that were coming out on the 650 (especially the memory bit as I was low with the T600)
    -Added applications on the Palm platform weren't valuable to me as many that I tried either: (1) weren't stable for me (e.g., Lightwav), (2) required expensive upgrades everytime the Palm platform was upgraded even slightly (Docs-to-go), (3) added a function to the device that should have been included natively (e.g., separate alarm application), or (4) tried to replace a function that is better suited to other devices IMO (e.g., MP3s and video recording)
    -The weight of the 7100T is MUCH less (in hindsite much more comfortable to use over long periods). I even dropped my 7100T on my hardwood kitchen floor last night and I can't even find a scuff mark and the phone still works great!! My Treo 600 would have been knocked out for sure (4' fall to a hard surface)
    If you wanted hi-res and GSM, the Treo will be able to do that (in about a month). I don't know when BB is scheduled to get 320x320 upgrade, but I think it's a ways away.

How could you not like the specs on the Treo 650 and then go with something with lower specs?

How can you not be satisfied with the memory when the added applications aren't valuable to you? If they aren't valuable, I would think you wouldn't have them and thus wouldn't have memory issues.
    The Forbes article hit dead on about VersaMail not doing it's checking thing. It still doesn't check my pop accounts when it's scheduled to. I hope Palm is working on a patch for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman
    camartin ,

Have you tried using the 7100t outside yet? If you have, you'll notice that the screen washes out to the point you can't see a thing. Not being able to see the screen outdoors is a major problem for a cell phone.
    I have but hasn't been that big of a deal IMO. Pretty much the same brightness as my old T600 so I guess I'm used to it. I don't spend very much time outdoors I guess.

The screen is pretty bright so I can generally see what I need or I turn around and cast a shadow on the screen with my body vs. trying to read the screen in direct sunlight (which would challenge most devices). I don't have any issues in cars, etc.

I'd be interested in seeing specs of the 7100T brightness vs. 650, etc. Or is it a matter of TFT or not? I would imagine most devices like this having difficulty in bright sunlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by camartin
    Most of your points were valid and reflect personal preferences. I respect that, and I am glad that you are happy with your 7100. However, these two points above from you post seem to contradict each other.

You said that you were not impressed with the specs, especially the memory issue. And the very next point you mentioned that you don't value the vast number of third party software much on the Palm OS platform. If this were your case, then the memory issue on Treo 650 shouldn't be a problem for you at all since you won't be installing many additional software.

As many others have already pointed out, comparing 7100 to Treo 650 is like comparing apples to oranges. 7100 is basically a cell phone with email function built in. Treo 650, on the other hand, is a true smartphone. Depending on what your needs are, one is certainly better than the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    If you wanted hi-res and GSM, the Treo will be able to do that (in about a month). I don't know when BB is scheduled to get 320x320 upgrade, but I think it's a ways away.
    You can't get BB and high res today in GSM on the Treo platform (let alone at an under $200 price point). I needed GSM very badly for work due to extensive non-US travel and couldn't wait. Also, at the 7100T price point it is hard to make a mistake. I can always switch over if I find a better platform in the future (that meets more of my needs).

How could you not like the specs on the Treo 650 and then go with something with lower specs?
    I had high expectations of what the T650 would be adding with the Hi Res, memory, blue tooth (e.g., DUN), etc. Was anticipating games, more family photos, better spreadsheet capabilities, etc. and the corresponding need for more memory. However, my need to be productive at work outweighs my need for a cool toy. I was willing to take "lower" specs at the gain of MUCH improved business functionality (for my situation)

How can you not be satisfied with the memory when the added applications aren't valuable to you? If they aren't valuable, I would think you wouldn't have them and thus wouldn't have memory issues.
    Memory impacts more than applications. It impacts the number of contacts that you can store, etc. In addition, the memory issue to me as much a signal of how Palm was making decisions about the platform as anything else. To me they failed the exam with that decision which has proven to be true in other areas as well.

I was a raving T600 fan and converted many. I've taken stock and had to re-think my priorities in a device like this. Stability, global access and robust business functionality rank high to me right now.
    This is a great thread as I've enjoyed reading the intelligent opinions expressed herein. This is a big reason why I come to treocentral so often -- to enjoy stimulating debate and dicusssion.

In regard to the article at issue, I agree with those of you who feel it is a balanced article and I agree with those of you who think it is a biased article. How can I do this??? Well, I think the article is balanced in that it presents the positives and negatives of both devices. True, the author does not get into the nooks and crannies of each device, but for a one-page article, I think he does a decent job. Where he goes wrong (this is the biased part) is that he attempts to declare a winner out of two incomparable devices. I think the average reader would be much better served if he had listed the positives and negatives of each device then recommended which device would be better for each type of user (e.g. simple corporate email-only user vs. corporate power user).

A much more useful comparison would have been between a Treo 650 and something like the MDA III.
    go.digital
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Most of your points were valid and reflect personal preferences. I respect that, and I am glad that you are happy with your 7100. However, these two points above from you post seem to contradict each other.

You said that you were not impressed with the specs, especially the memory issue. And the very next point you mentioned that you don't value the vast number of third party software much on the Palm OS platform. If this were your case, then the memory issue on Treo 650 shouldn't be a problem for you at all since you won't be installing many additional software.

As many others have already pointed out, comparing 7100 to Treo 650 is like comparing apples to oranges. 7100 is basically a cell phone with email function built in. Treo 650, on the other hand, is a true smartphone. Depending on what your needs are, one is certainly better than the other.
    After having used both the Treo and the 7100T I would say that you may have slightly understated the 7100T as it is truly a smartphone in every way that I need it to be (phone, web, games, extremely robust, push email, calendar synch and invites, Word, Excel and PPT viewing [some add programs to edit]. I'm not missing much (I use an iPod for music for many good reason over the Treo and video/digital cameras when needed). To me, the price, features, ease of use, durability and stability of the 7100T redefine the word "smart" in every sense of the word.
    After having used both the Treo and the 7100T I would say that you may have slightly understated the 7100T as it is truly a smartphone in every way that I need it to be (phone, web, games, extremely robust, push email, calendar synch and invites, Word, Excel and PPT viewing [some add programs to edit]. I'

The only program I found to view and/or edit word and excel programs on the 7100t is $119.00. The treo 650 includes documents to go for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by dulan
    This is a great thread as I've enjoyed reading the intelligent opinions expressed herein. This is a big reason why I come to treocentral so often -- to enjoy stimulating debate and dicusssion.

In regard to the article at issue, I agree with those of you who feel it is a balanced article and I agree with those of you who think it is a biased article. How can I do this??? Well, I think the article is balanced in that it presents the positives and negatives of both devices. True, the author does not get into the nooks and crannies of each device, but for a one-page article, I think he does a decent job. Where he goes wrong (this is the biased part) is that he attempts to declare a winner out of two incomparable devices. I think the average reader would be much better served if he had listed the positives and negatives of each device then recommended which device would be better for each type of user (e.g. simple corporate email-only user vs. corporate power user).

A much more useful comparison would have been between a Treo 650 and something like the MDA III.
    I think all devices that share phone, PIM, email, web as a core set of features should be compared. The reason is that the target audience of these devices are roughly the same unless you only want to appeal to the die hard gadget lovers who, IMO, seem to mostly value the amount of features that can be crammed into a device. The average user needs to make a decision and all devices should be considered depending on the individual needs of the user (a side-by-side feature comparison of all products with the core features above would be very useful)
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast