1.    #1  
    Over a year after the T600 was released with a promise of Wifi compatibility slapped wrecklessly on the box, this great ability may be finally coming to both the T600 and T650. However, it's not PalmOne that is finally delivering on it's promises; it's our very own Shawdowmite.

After being spoon-fed excuses that the SDIO slot in the T600 is too weak and that a PalmSource/P1 Wifi driver for the T650 is being developed (don't hold your breath), I'm a little upset. I understand that companies put so much spin on whatever they do that you can't sort throught the muck, but if Shadowmite's driver does in fact work on the 600, then it will prove that P1 has been blatantly lying to its best customers for well over a year.

I've owned other smartphones before (Samsung i300 and i330), and I'm not afraid to switch to a PPC or another Palm OS phone in the future. The Treos are indeed great devices, but I feel like I've been taken.

While I am behind Shadowmite 100 percent, I don't believe I'll ever buy another PalmOne product if he succeeds.
    well, downfal is probably too strong of a word. P1 may count on the fact that most customers are not informed about P1's intentional and unintentional mishaps.

but completely agree with you. the only way to post a non confidence vote is over the purse. I would endure a less smarter phone from a more honest company. shame on them if they fool the customers that cheap way; any capital wipe-out would be well deserved for this short sighted greed.
    Last edited by beelzebueb; 12/06/2004 at 06:13 AM.
    I think he has already succeeded to the point of showing that Palm1 can make this driver available easily!
    Jim@treo1.com
    <a href="http://treo1.com">
    treo1.com
    One Stop, plain and simple
    <a href="http://treo1.com/index650.htm"> Visit our new Treo650 optimized site!!</a>
    <a href="http://palmoscentral.com"> Visit our new website palmOSCentral.com!</a>
    I still think too many people are putting too much blame on P1 for the WiFi thing. Do you really think P1 isn't smart enough to know how to implement it? They didn't due to pressure from the carriers. Possibly P1 doesn't have the same muscle or pull with carriers as Microsoft does, but clearly having WiFi is an advantage for P1 and a huge disincentive for the carriers. I'm sure not having WiFi was a business decision out of necessity for P1, and nothing else.

Send a message to your carrier and tell them you promise to use just as much of their services if they allow WiFi.
    After reading the thread on occassion on this subject and not wanting to re-read the whole thing, how close is Shadowmite?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    I still think too many people are putting too much blame on P1 for the WiFi thing. Do you really think P1 isn't smart enough to know how to implement it?
    I know they are smart enough. I'm just stating that they lied about it for over a year on the T600. If it was a carrier issue, they should have went about it in a little more classy way than making up the "shortage of available power" fairytale.

By the way BassinRVer, I think he's pretty close. If you're interested in using it, you should go over to the thread and post a donation. Shadowmite's probably quite a considerable bit of his own time and money on this, and I think we all should throw a little scratch his way.
    I know they are smart enough. I'm just stating that they lied about it for over a year on the T600. If it was a carrier issue, they should have went about it in a little more classy way than making up the "shortage of available power" fairytale.
    How can you say that? NONE of Shadow's drivers have worked on the 600 yet. Also, keep in mind that "working" and "working well" are two very different things. If Palm released a driver that crapped out half the time. Everyone would be on them for that instead of this.

I am of the mind that the carriers don't want WiFi. Either way...HANDSPRING lied about the SDIO on the box. NOT PALMONE. New company, new management.

One point I do agree with is that Shadow is working hard and definately deserves some praise and some kick backs.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    How can you say that? NONE of Shadow's drivers have worked on the 600 yet. Also, keep in mind that "working" and "working well" are two very different things. If Palm released a driver that crapped out half the time. Everyone would be on them for that instead of this.

I am of the mind that the carriers don't want WiFi. Either way...HANDSPRING lied about the SDIO on the box. NOT PALMONE. New company, new management.

One point I do agree with is that Shadow is working hard and definately deserves some praise and some kick backs.
    First, I hate to break this to you but Handspring = PalmOne. By purchasing the company they assume everything associated with it, including misleading advertising. I have had this confirmed.

Second, if they had a crappy driver, they could release it with the 'beta' or 'experimental' label on it.
  9.    #9  
    Shadow's been working on it for all of what, a whole week? He's not a multibillion dollar a year grossing company. PalmOne could have done it. Handspring could have done it. Instead they chose to feed crap to you and everyone else that owns a 600. You can't compare Shadowmite with P1.

Furthermore, when they merged, it's not like all of Handspring's work/employees/ideas automatically vanished into thin air. There is still an element of Handspring there. I don't hate PalmOne, but I'm also not a PalmOne apologist. I just think they did us wrongly.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    Shadow's been working on it for all of what, a whole week? He's not a multibillion dollar a year grossing company. PalmOne could have done it. Handspring could have done it. Instead they chose to feed crap to you and everyone else that owns a 600. You can't compare Shadowmite with P1.
    And you cant compare P1 to a multibillion dollar company. They have less than 700 employees, and made about $21 million net last year.
    I still think too many people are putting too much blame on P1 for the WiFi thing. Do you really think P1 isn't smart enough to know how to implement it? They didn't due to pressure from the carriers. Possibly P1 doesn't have the same muscle or pull with carriers as Microsoft does, but clearly having WiFi is an advantage for P1 and a huge disincentive for the carriers. I'm sure not having WiFi was a business decision out of necessity for P1, and nothing else.

Send a message to your carrier and tell them you promise to use just as much of their services if they allow WiFi.
    If this is true (and it may be) than why the hell doesn't the t5 have wifi built in?!

You can figure out some type of logic on why the treos dont have wifi, but why the tungstens don't really cannot be explained IMO.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    If this is true (and it may be) than why the hell doesn't the t5 have wifi built in?!

You can figure out some type of logic on why the treos dont have wifi, but why the tungstens don't really cannot be explained IMO.
    We don't ask questions about the T5. Just ignore it and hopefully it'll go away.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    P1 should release the source code to shaddow so he can finish this project. This is so stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike

T-Mobile has lots of WiFi hotspots, and sells access for $20/month. So there's a carrier that "wants" WiFi.

I don't have a WiFi card, but the Zire driver patch posted in another thread loaded in my Treo 600 and appear so far to have caused no harm, at least.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    T-Mobile has lots of WiFi hotspots, and sells access for $20/month. So there's a carrier that "wants" WiFi.
    Exactly! But I haven't heard many people say they'd be willing to pay extra for WiFi access. Besides, most people want to access their WiFi networks in their homes, so that doesn't really relate to the T-Mobile plan. If the carriers had a way of billing you for any WiFi access, I bet we'd have WiFi on the 650. Of course we'd then be complaining about the cost .
    I think all of this proves it's not PalmOne being the bad guy, but rather Sprint, who obviously wants us to use their Vision plan.
    I still think too many people are putting too much blame on P1 for the WiFi thing. Do you really think P1 isn't smart enough to know how to implement it? They didn't due to pressure from the carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by robber

Ummm... well there goes my theory from a technical perspective . I'll still stand by it from a "business-practice" aspect. I guess both P1 and the carriers are culpable.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by RWerksman
    And you cant compare P1 to a multibillion dollar company. They have less than 700 employees, and made about $21 million net last year.
    I'm sorry I didn't check their financials for last year. Oh yeah, and I said grossing too. I was just making a comparison of one amazingly talented guy to a large company.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    Where did Handspring/PalmOne (HS/P1) make up a "shortage of available power" fairytale? Brighthand has an article from SanDisk (who stands to make money from the project) saying that there's not enough power availble. That's the only information anyone has been able to hint at the power issue, and it's not coming from HS/P1.

People can say that Sprint is the bad guy, but they have Wifi hotspots just like T-mobile. They could make money from it. Also, it doesn't explain why the T5 doesn't have built in wifi as someone mentioned.

The radios don't interfere and P1 would have suggested, because then you could simply just turn off the phone part and run wifi without interference.

Lastly, the easiest answer would be that the communications stack is built to run only off the carrier network. That whole concept is blown away by the fact that reverse DUN works.