Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have have been a user of the Treo 600 for over two years. I accepted its shortcomings of no working ear phone, weird resets, low battery and unreliability with Sprint Network at the worst times. I stayed with it since the benefits made up for the shortcomings. I received my 650 two weeks ago but was hesitant on upgrading after reading the posts on board. I learned what I needed to do and proceeded today to upgrade the 600 to the 650. I am not a power user but an ordinary user using the treo 650 to assist in sales for my company. I was pleased that all was info moved over and the sync worked just fine after upgrade. My only problem came with sprint since they needed to send me to level two to get phone activated. The operator was putting in the wrong Hex code and the level two guy said lets start over and immediatly found the problem. Good job Oklahoma Sprint call center (Ben). I also left myself several messages at my home land line to hear voice clarity--the headset was the best but overall it was very good using speaker phone or non speaker phone. Here is what I found to be best and worst on 650 after one day of use:

1)Blazer flys on downloads--Vision worked great.
    2)Color and clarity of Screen is awesome
    3)No slowdown when I dialed from contacts book
    4)Camera and Camcorder are really neat but not needed for business
    5)More ring tones are nice
    6)Speaker phone worked well (My bluetooth device is backordered so I could not try). Older headset worked well to.
    7)Better signal at my house than before
    8)Better Security --locking phone after an hour of not using is an option.
    9) NIce to have a line for appointments on main screen

Concerns I have:
    1)Seems like I have more clicks to get to somewhere like messaging, tasks etc.
    2)All my favorites did not seem to come over, Learned how to make web bookmarks as default screen which is nice when I click on Web.
    3) I cannot figure out how to put my favorites in alphabetical order (any help appreciated)
    4)Sprint BCS does not let one set synch levels for times to check email but I believe Sprint on recent download of software removed this feature. Does this mean I must manually do this from now on?
    5) To do's are now Tasks and buried in applications button--hard to find.
    6) Only have 2.5MB left which I guess OK since not power user with a bunch of third party apps. I see how to use a memory card for Tunes etc.
    7)USB cord does not give power when plugged into like 600. Now I must make sure I get a second battery, buy a car charger, second power adapter or make sure I don't forget to hook up at home. If battery is better not an issue.

Overall I am very satisfied so far. I look forward to exploring more applications that will improve the 650 value proposition and make me money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larrydann
    6) Only have 2.5MB left which I guess OK since not power user with a bunch of third party apps. I see how to use a memory card for Tunes etc.
    Larry, thanks for your sharing your experiences in your review. A few quick questions though. You said you only have 2.5 MB free in ram but don't use that many 3rd party apps. However could you please list the apps that you did install and the number of records in your address book, calander etc? I would be curious to know, thanks!

Also, you may want to invest in a mem manager like PowerRun etc to free up more ram in the future...

7)USB cord does not give power when plugged into like 600. Now I must make sure I get a second battery, buy a car charger, second power adapter or make sure I don't forget to hook up at home. If battery is better not an issue.
    FYI, I recall reading that Boxwave was shortly going to release a new minisync cable for the Treo650/T5 that was compatible with the new (athena) multiconnector...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Actually the USB cable DOES charge the battery, just very slowly. You won't see charging indicated, but it you watch the battery meter over an extended period of time, you'll see the battery level go up.

Nate
  4.    #4  
    Day three of using the Treo has resulted in the following experience:
    1) I now have 2M of 23.7 left. Biggest App is Sprint BC 1100k, Contacts are 191K, PICS 357K, but I see the Splash code is 400Kx3apps plus,which I won't use and word to go is 909K( ? not sure what this is) which I am not using. I think I will start by trying to delete Splash apps to free memory up. No cookies being stored
    2) I could not get 650 to Sync with all my new info added in contacts, memo's ect. I am little freaked out but wonder if I was suppose to have pwer cord plugged into Sync cord like it says in the book. I rebooted PC, switched USB ports but did not do a soft reset. Nothing -no sync at all. Had to leave office and will try in AM again
    3)Blazer is flying, phone sound is good (BC device on back order for free from P1), front screen makes me more productive, email from SPrint BCS works great/fast-(all I need), SMS is great, tasks are fine and missed calls and SMS's are now notated very nice.
    4) Delay in making calls noticable but due to Treo Central I aniticipated and all the calls showed up in a few seconds. Bummed but can handle issue.
    5) Blazer links inside a URL took a couple clicks to work but so impressed with Vision

I just hope I can get this sync issue figured out since it worked Sunday fine when I installed and transferred the data over. Will need to manage memory filling up. Any suggestions appreciated.
  5.    #5  
    Day FOUR of using the T650 has resulted in a succesful Sync after learning from the Board I needed to have my USB checked off in the Treo Palm folder on PC. Also it was good to know it does charge with USB cable if only a little. I am also watching my P key since so many have said it can get stuck ( I think about this now when I am typing on 650 keyboard hoping it will not be the last P depression). I am traveling in sales and cannot afford to stop and return because my P does not work-ouch! All is well now on keyboard.

ON a negative note I have seen the t650 go into about 6 Soft syncs by itself today. What could be causing this? Also the last one at lunch turned off the phone and caused me to miss one call and two emails I was waiting on. I did not realize it was off until I returned to office. My other concern is the 2.2M remaining free space. I need to get some of the apps off like Zap, Splash etc. HOw do I delete these--on my computer in Palm folder-then sync up?? Any help appreciated.

All else is working very well.
    Versa Mail causes the most reset problems for me. I delete one of it's databases on the device and then it is fine again.
  7.    #7  
    How do you delete on device since I don't use versamail. I tried to sync again but nothing. I have COM1 checked off in setup and put in system tray in start up. I am non techie and had to do none of this or know anything about this on Treo 600. In bummed out mode again since baffles me why it won't resync and it as been resetting itself all day.
  8.    #8  
    DAY IN THE EVENING. I just went through the whole Sync issue today with Palm tech support. I did not create the backold folder when I upgraded from 600 although this board said do it I opted not to since not a power user. Well after 2 days of soft resets and finally no syncs at all, I called P1 tech support and did a hard install on their suggestion. James at P1 was great walking me through the reinstall and it all worked fine. He admitted their was something in the backup folder that is causing these soft resets It sounded like engineering is going through code line by line to find culprit and would soon have a patch out fixing most of these issues. Also my memory went from 2.2M to 11.9 available-wow. I was not using any third party apps accept Sprint BCS for email so my 600 brought some serious junk over. Unfortunatly, I had to call back to P1 for help in getting everything moved over including network settings, bookmarks, BCS etc, web vision working--I was able to sync fine (after one last soft reset) and now phone was back to the way it was working before all the resets but with a ton more memory. I am a sales rep and not very techie so kinda freaked me out but learned alot about adding files to 650. Should have told us this day one but now it all works on this awesome device. So save the Palm file backup in a new backupold named folder, do a hard reset, check the box to sync from desktop settings on contacts, calenders, task etc than sync. Call P1 and have them help you move all the other needed stuff over. About a 30 minute wait for tech support.

We shall see how the Sync's go over next two days and I will report back. Earpiece not working on 600 was alot less stressful than 650 but when it works what an awesome device.
    Hm.. there definetely seems to be a memory problem.

How can a non power user, with the standard preinstalled applications only have 2 mb left in the first days of use. That is less than 10%.

And he is still wanting to explore other applications to make his Treo more valuable to him.

Does PalmOne really want to explain ALL its customers, even non-powerusers, that they need to go out and buy a thirdparty launcher app and moreover request a free 128mb SD card from PalmOne?
    Quote Originally Posted by u_m_rasmussen
    How can a non power user, with the standard preinstalled applications only have 2 mb left in the first days of use. That is less than 10%.
    That was after upgrading directly from the 600 to the 650.

I find this VERY interesting:
    Also my memory went from 2.2M to 11.9 available-wow. I was not using any third party apps accept Sprint BCS for email so my 600 brought some serious junk over.
    I'm not trying to discount the memory issue, but there seems to be clear evidence that the 650 is much happier starting fresh, rather than being upgraded from a previous device.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Agreed - I am restoring my apps one at a time to see if they cause any incompatibilities or memory problems. In fact, for all but the most essential apps (Business Connection & DateBk5), I try to put the apps into the \Palm\Launcher directory of my SD card.

On the otherhand, Larrydann, you said you used a Treo 600 for two years? Typo, or early early adopter?
  12.    #12  
    12/13--one official week of using the 650 has passed. After the initial start-up issues and having Palm techs walk me through a total re-install, I must say I am very pleased. I also now have 14.4mb free since I reinstalled and eliminated so much junk like Splash apps off the phone. In fact, I used the camcorder this weekend to take a couple 30 second pics of some golf swings. Blazer worked great on checking stock quotes on Yahoo and Sports scores on Yahoo. My only problem still is I must do a SOFT RESET when I sync up. When I get a minute from business issues I will call Palm to see what is up with this. My Jabra headset showed up and although it shows a billing charge on the packing slip I was told my P1 I would not be charged--we shall see. I will try to get this working tomorrow. Any comments on the Sync issue or Jabra headset would be appreciated. My current headset from the Treo 600 has had great clarity when used with the 650 and no complaints on the other end. I started using the Treo 600 in October of the year it came out-2003, I believe. P1 just needs to make it easy for us no techy biz types but if your starting from scratch, you should have no problem--Rimm users at a party could not believe their eyes over the weekend and all wanted one. Once sync issues go away I am 100% pleased!!
  13.    #13  
    10 days later I would like to report my Treo 650 is doing a fine job except it will not sync unless I do a soft reset first. I will call P1 today and see what they think could be the problem as well as search board. Other hassle is all my addresses that use to pop up on 600 using SMS are gone but I am sure they are in the backup file that did not get moved over. Anyone know what this file is called? I will also ask P1 if they can help.

Bluetooth is working good and I can live with Jabba piece sent with phone. Just don't let the 650 get more than three feet away or you will get static. All clear an no static when in cradle in my car which is about 3-4 feet away. Very Happy and Blazer is doing great catching all the sports, biz, world news through YAHOO.
  14.    #14  
    Current update with Treo 650. I still must take the battery out for a soft reset before the 650 will Sync with my W2K PC. I have tried to call palm and was in transfer hell last Friday with SPrint Service and never talked to anyone. I guess Palm great tech support is gone--anyone know how to call them direct.

1) What am I missing with Sync issue. Never had this problem on 600

2) Using Sprint Personal connection for email-excellent. Now I am going to go back and install Docs to go so I can open word and excel docs.

3) I am Sales manager and not technical. I like all functions of Treo 650, can live with the delay when you dial (noticed a blue blank screen yesterday for about 3 sec before call went out which was new). Sending Pics are fun but needed for my job.

4) Not sure what to expect with my next call to Sprint Tech support. Just started over with SMS addresses since not a big deal. I know they are on my 600 files in the backold area--can't find them.

Good luck to all.
    Sound like you may still have some old 600 files on PC. I would try knowledge base on p1 site and see if you can find the solution there.

It KB doesn't help, you can call P1 support direct at 813-313-4913.

Good luck.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Current update with Treo 650. I still must take the battery out for a soft reset before the 650 will Sync with my W2K PC. I have tried to call palm and was in transfer hell last Friday with SPrint Service and never talked to anyone. I guess Palm great tech support is gone--anyone know how to call them direct.

1) What am I missing with Sync issue. Never had this problem on 600

2) Using Sprint Personal connection for email-excellent. Now I am going to go back and install Docs to go so I can open word and excel docs.

3) I am Sales manager and not technical. I like all functions of Treo 650, can live with the delay when you dial (noticed a blue blank screen yesterday for about 3 sec before call went out which was new). Sending Pics are fun but needed for my job.

4) Not sure what to expect with my next call to Sprint Tech support. Just started over with SMS addresses since not a big deal. I know they are on my 600 files in the backold area--can't find them.

Good luck to all.

Dial ##377 on your phone after the reset to see what the cause is. I was having the same issue after every hotsync, and found out it was "Wordview+" which is part of Docs to Go7. I deleted and reinstalled, and now it works fine. Sometimes files get corrupted for no apparent reason.
    Glad you're happy with your 650. Small price to pay for the ultimate all-in-one utility
  17.    #17  
    Jan 29th and for the most part I have been extremely happy with the 650 but I have not had a chance to call Sprint or P1 to get the hotsync issue fixed. I just take the battery out once a day and then sync up. I am sure it is something simple but the sales quota I have keeps so busy I just don't have time to call. The sending of pictures with a sprint voice mail embedded has been so impressive. I have taken pictures of current customers, recorded a sound bite and forwarded to a prospect. At a recent IT Security conference the Palms vs Blackberry's were very close with several large companies using Good technology on the 600's.

I just gave up on the free Jabra headset. It worked fine but was just not loud enough and the damn earpiece was so annoying. I just bought the Motorola BT device. Worked great first time but now it stopped working so will try to reinstall BT connection. These little issues really cause me to waste alot of time. It worked great, clarity was good, distance for use was good and sound excellent--then it just stops working with 650 for no apparent reason.

Would recommend 650 to all even with the sync and now BT issues which must be a configuration issue since it was working fine for a while.
    I've had my T650 since mid-Dec. I did clean install of my apps moving only what I needed from T600. That seemed to work well.

One thing that is annoying is the blank screen after you select number from contact or just plain slow dialing when picking from last number list or call log. It so long you think you did not click anything.

If device as double the processor speed why is this so slow?
    Palm Pre and a nice collection of Treos: 755p, 700, 650, 600, 300 and Palm Pilots, Visors, and Sony Clie
    I recently upgraded from my trusty T600 to the 650. I believe that the 650 is the unit PalmOne should have released in the first place, but it is still not everything it could be and I have a few opinions about the new model:

1) The screen is awesome. The grass is greener and the air a bit sweeter now that photos, text, and graphics look like they should; clear and crisp.

2) The keyboard has much better visability in low or no light situations. Interestingly though, I find it harder to type with one thumb than with the 600 because the keys are farther apart. When using two thumbs, there's no comparison, the new one is much better.

3) The 5 way nav button on the 600 is better. The new one is smaller and does not feel as refined. Also, it is placed too close to the top row of keys. And I have not been able to find out how to assign functions to the up, right and left directions like on the 600 (down displays the favorites menu). I agree with Larry that it seems to take more navigating to get to the stuff I want.

4) The dedicated Send and End keys are nice, but not necessary. I dialed and ended calls just fine before.

5) The speaker is still marginal at best. My wifes cheapo Sanyo flip phone has an awesome speaker phone, why can't my $600 smart phone be just as good? And why does the speaker have to be on the back. Why can't they just make the earpiece the speaker? I'm no engineer, but it seems like common sense.

6) I know it's a trade off to have a removeable battery, but the chassis is not as sturdy as the 600. One occasionaly gets the feeling of cheapness with the 650.

7) Finally, and I hope that the guys from PalmOne are listening, it really cheeses me off that none of the accessories from the 600 work on the 650, except for the side cases. I will not buy two cradles and all of the goodies I bought for my 600 becuase you guys are trying to make a few extra bucks. Besides, the new power plug feels so cheap that I'm constatly afraid of it breaking off. And why doesn't the USB sync cable act as a charger? It occupies the whole data port including the power port. What's the deal with that?

All of this said, I like the 650. I give it a B+ overall.
  20.    #20  
    3/15/2005-Decided to give a quick update as I wait for my plane. Treo 650 has exceeded my expectations. I still have not called P1 or Sprint to get the Sync issue fixed. Sometimes it works fine other times I have to take the battery out and do a soft reset. I also learned from the board when using MOT BT device, if I hit the mute button and then un mute it makes the call loud enough I can hear over sound of my car engine. Was so annoying to have not enough volume. I hope they turn up the sound since I don't think it is Motorolla issue. All considered, it is working fine except for the Sync--which I guess are the old app files still residing from 600 but I can't remember how you go in and add files and delete. I am going to try the ##377 but most of the time the Sync never starts until I do a soft reset. The phone is awesome for what I need if for--TO MAKE MORE SALES!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast