Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tks for the info.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  2. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    The 650 is my first Palm product so please excuse my dumbness, but, how does Note Pad work? Will it appear as an icon on the screen that you access and then write, or does it tie into some existing program?
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    PabloTX,
    Is there a way of getting the files from my laptop to my SD card without a card reader?
    Tks
    Like sxtg said, I use Card Export II. It allows the Treo's SD Card to work as a USB drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    The NotePad app doesn't do Graffiti... it's a freehand doodling app similar to DiddleBug. Think of it as an electronic sticky note!
    Right. I was a little twisted on the semantics.
    So, are these apps worth the frustration of not being able to hot sync?? I have a card reader, but it's on my wifes laptop.... bla bla.

Any reports?
    Need gift ideas?

Check out www.mynextclick.com

StarTac -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 600
    i think so, notepad is great, I have used it alot. havent used the voice recorder much yet, but it works... handy to have i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    The NotePad app doesn't do Graffiti... it's a freehand doodling app similar to DiddleBug. Think of it as an electronic sticky note!
    Very well said!
    Quote Originally Posted by hub
    The 650 is my first Palm product so please excuse my dumbness, but, how does Note Pad work? Will it appear as an icon on the screen that you access and then write, or does it tie into some existing program?
    Note Pad is a seperate program from all others. On traditional PDAs it is access by tapping the Note Pad icon (a yellow sticky pad with a pen drawing a swirly on it) from the applications launcher. From there it launches Note Pad, here's how it works on my T3:
    1) Tap Note Pad (program launches). In the top corner you will see Note as the menu tap, and then a left arrow, how many notes you made and which one this is (eg 23 of 42) and the a right arrow. The arrows are for navigation. In the top right corner is a box where you can assign you current note a category (just like Contacts and applications)
    2) Below the menu bar you will find a Time stamp (eg 10:55 am), it is highlighted, so any writing (or typing on the Treo) you do will automatically edit the time stamp to whatever you prefer. That will be the title of this memo. On the far right of this line is a date stamp, which you cannot change.
    3) Below the title bar is a big empty space with a scroll bar. This is you note area. Simply draw on the screen. Scroll up and down for more space (the are you can use is limited).
    4) Below the note area are four buttons: [Done] [New] [Delete] [a picture of a pen]. Pressing done will take you to a listing of notes, but I'll discuss that later. New and delete are self explanatory as well, so I'll skip to the penthingy. Tapping on it will bring up a menu of four editing tools: thin, medium, and thick pens, and an eraser. It's a very fool proof operation.
    5) Now, tap the Note menu tab at the top. It will read Record, Edit, and Options.
    (A) Record: Under record you will find New Note, Delete Note, Beam Note, Send Note, and Compatibility. Pretty self explanatory, except for compatibility, which allows you to beam new notes(say from my T3) to older Palms, like a Palm IIIc.
    (B) Edit: Undo and Clear Note. Well, duh.
    (C) Options: Font, Alarm, Details, and About Note Pad. Font simply allows you to change the size of the title and date stamp (bigger and/or bold). Alarm is a fun one; select a date and time and you can then be awakened by your own little drawing of a happy squirell. Or whatever else you put there. A little alarm clock will appear to the right of the date stamp. Details allows you to assign a category (pretty reduntant since you can do that without going to the menu) and mark this note Private. About Note Pad will give you the version info (mine's 2.2.1).
    6) Now that you've drawn your happy little squirell (that's an order), tap Done. You will be presented with the Note Pad listing (tada.). At the top is a menu tab reading Note Pad and a category selector (works just like everything else). The menu gives you Record and Options. There's nothing new under Record (in fact, there's less), so we'll explore Options: Font, Preferences, Security, and About Note Pad. Preferences gives you a half screen window reading Note Pad Preferences with the help 'i' econ in the top right corner.
    (A) Below that is Sort by: Alphabetic, Date, and Manual. Manual allows you to tap and hold to drag a Note to a different position in the list.
    (B) Below Sort by is Alarm Sound: With a list of alarms. If you've installed any larger alarm lists for datebook (such as Emerald Sounds), those alarms are available here too.
    (C) Below Alarm Sound is a check box with Confirm note delete?. When selected, deleting a note will present you with a Delete current Note? [OK] [Cancel] dialog, no such thing happens when not checked.
    (D) Below are three buttons: [OK] [Cancel] [Color...] Tapping color opens a 2/3 screen dialog reading Select Colors (i). Chose Pen or Paper and select the color you desire; it will display how it would look in a box to the right. Bottom buttons are [OK] [Cancel]
    7) Security allows opens a dialog reading Change Security (i) with the option of Current Privacy: Show Records, Mask Records, and Hide Records. Mask Records will cover any Private notes with a gray bar (tapping it will prompt for your password), and Hide Records will make them invisible until you enter said password.
    8) Below the menu bar on the listing is, well, the listing, configured however you selected in Preferences. Tapping a listing will open that Note for reading and editing. At the bottom is a button that says [New].
    9) That's all, 'kay?
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I migrated to the Treo 650 from a Kyocera 7135. The Kyocera had a really nice app that incorporated Memos, Note Pad, and Voice Memo (when the memo button was pressed and held, a voice memo could be automatically recorded) in a single interface nicely. Anyway we can get that PRC?
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    I migrated to the Treo 650 from a Kyocera 7135. The Kyocera had a really nice app that incorporated Memos, Note Pad, and Voice Memo (when the memo button was pressed and held, a voice memo could be automatically recorded) in a single interface nicely. Anyway we can get that PRC?
    Nope, that was custom made by Kyocera specifically for the 7135.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    In order to install this easily on my Treo 650, I just emailed myself the files from my desktop. SnapperMail downloaded them on the Treo and offered to install them. Worked perfectly.

I really like Note Pad, because it's a quick and easy way to jot down a quick reminder ("what parking spot am I at again?" "what time do I need to go down and fill the meter?" etc.)

The next project was how to get these doodlings to sync to the computer. (In my case, a Mac.) I still had the Note Pad conduit from a previous Palm installation so I activated that. I also copied over the "Note Pad" application from my wife's iBook (she has a Zire 72 and thus has a syncable Note Pad.) And then I sync'ed... lo and behold the entries did, in fact, show up on my computer! Unfortunately the doodlings just show up as "static". The titles and dates are there, but the doodlings are not being read properly. Hopefully a replacement desktop app can be written to properly recognize the "Note Pad.dat" file that's being written to my user profile on sync. I will email Florent Pillet, the developer of iTreo, to see what he can come up with.

Another setback was that while the first sync worked, subsequent syncs resulted in a HotSync error. Only when I switched the defauly sync settings for the Note Pad conduit to "Handheld overwrites Macintosh" was I able to get it to sync multiple times consistently without fail. This isn't a huge deal since you can't create Note Pad entries on the desktop app anyway (you can delete them though.)
    Can someone just find the PNG library so we can figure out a way to export the notes out of the 650? Diddle bug doesn't seem to work on here either, and I used to draw maps and rough site drawings and email them to my colleauges. I can't do this anymore
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by starrwulfe
    Can someone just find the PNG library so we can figure out a way to export the notes out of the 650? Diddle bug doesn't seem to work on here either, and I used to draw maps and rough site drawings and email them to my colleauges. I can't do this anymore
    When you say "find the PNG library" what do you mean? Are you saying this is a file preinstalled on other Palms we'd need to extract and install on the Treo 650?

I am able to export but the doodlings don't appear properly, so I just assumed it was a desktop application support issue.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by starrwulfe
    I am looking through my wife's Zire 72, which (natively) has the NotePad app... using FileZ I can't find this "PNG Library" file, so I wouldn't know what to copy...

any help on this would be appreciated.

My Mac OS X conduit syncs the NotePad entries but the doodlings just appear as staticky glitches. It would be nice for an accurate sync so I can actually see the doodlings on the desktop as well.
    Thx to mg48 for posting "backups" of these files. I was unable to install them with the desktop installer but mailed them to myself and used Sanppermail to install and Note Pad now works on my 650 ... not too well though. The problem is that the resolution of my drawing and handwriting is horrible. It's much worse than my Tunsgten T which is also 320x320 and a larger physical screen.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SofTTware
    Thx to mg48 for posting "backups" of these files. I was unable to install them with the desktop installer but mailed them to myself and used Sanppermail to install and Note Pad now works on my 650 ... not too well though. The problem is that the resolution of my drawing and handwriting is horrible. It's much worse than my Tunsgten T which is also 320x320 and a larger physical screen.
    Yeah, the drawings are pretty horrendous. I wonder if DiddleBug and/or BugMe work better?

http://diddlebug.sourceforge.net/

BugMe even has a desktop companion app to view the drawings. (PC only, unfortunately)

http://www.electricpocket.com/bugme-palm/
    http://www.electricpocket.com/bugmeviewer/

Any others?
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Diddlebug resolution is comaprable to Notepad.

Both apps let you pick a finer "pencil line" width than the default; that may help.
    Last edited by ERicJ; 12/30/2004 at 03:38 AM. Reason: spelling
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    Both apps let you pick a finer "pencil line" width than the default; that may help.
    Indeed it did; dunno how I missed that. Thanks!
    THANK YOU! I just noticed today that there's no note pad on my 650. I installed the prc's with Filez & now I have notepad again, woohoo!
    i managed to get Note Pad onto my Treo 650 and it's a little choppy but other than that I can't beam them unless I use "compatibility" under the menu and at that it only a blocky form of my note. But that's okay because it's better than not having it all all! I got v2.3 from a Tungster 5. It supports that five way dial pad on the Treo.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast