Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I purchased a Treo650 last Thursday night, and it's been a frustrating situation with CompUSA (Auburn Hills, MI) since.

First, I told Sprint Customer Service that I wanted a 1yr contract. This is how I and the manager at COMPUSA understood it as. So he rings me up for a 1yr contract rebate.....$100.

I then go home, and on Friday I get online at SprintPCS.com and find out that I have a two year contract. OK. So I think it over and decide to keep it, but now I want the difference from COMPUSA. A 2 yr is a $150 rebate. I call Sprint Customer Service to verify this, and the operator states that COMPUSA should give me an instant rebate....the difference. And that I should give COMPUSA the following rebate number...#########, and that they should enter this into their system so they can give me my instant rebate.....in this case $50.

I go back to COMPUSA, stand around for about 45 minutes and am told that the guy who handles the rebates is not there. A different manager tells me to "COME BACK Tomorrow at 1 pm".

Well unfortunenately my son gets sick, and I can't get back till today. I go in, and another manager fixes my receipt to state a 2 yr contract, but tells me that since the register did not spit out any rebate receipts, he can't give me the difference. He can't give me any rebate at all! I tell him the rebate number, and he balks at it,stating that it has too many digits, and so the register won't take it......."SOOOORRRRRY".

I call Sprint Customer Service, and they the operator tells me that COMPUSA should have given me an instant $150 rebate. I tell her they're a bunch of baboons...that don't now what they are doing....

Apparently, COMPUSA has the inventory of Treo650's, but they don't have it setup in their rebate/electronic tracking whatever system. As of today, it's not even on their website. And that's the frustrating part.....all the managers and sales people seem to refer to the website for heavenly intervention when they don't have a clue as to what is going on.....

Anyhow, sorry for venting, but I am very frustrated, and angered that people are getting $150 rebates, and I'm not. If I return the unit I lose out on the 15% restocking fee.

Sooooooo....can anyone give me advice on who I should sue.....anyone know any good lawyers? I must admit that I've been to the store 4 days in a row, and have wasted about 5 hrs of my time on this.

By the way, I love the Treo650.
    Last edited by 2smart4phone; 12/05/2004 at 11:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Do yourself a huge favor while you still can- call sprint and (politely) demand that since you signed up for the ONE year contract you should get a ONE year contract. That extra $50 is not worth being tied up with sprint (or any other provider). Good luck
    Call Sprint while at CompUSA with a manager. Let them discuss it on the phone so each can experience the frustration.
    Call Sprint. Ask for retention. Tell them your plight. Tell them you would like to cancel. Do not mention 15% restocking fee. Do not give them ANY reason to believe you are inclined to stay with them. Point out that as a Treo650 user, your ARPU (they'll know) is likely to be higher than the average customer's. Then ask for the $50 as a credit on your bill. If they say "no", ask for a supervisor. If they say "no", ask for THEIR supervisor. Be polite. Be patient, but DO NOT be a push over, and make it quite clear you are not taking "no" for an answer. CompUSA is THEIR partner, and as such, it's up to them to cover for their mistake. If none of that works, hang up. Then go online and write to the District Manager, Regional Manager, Divisional Vice President, Vice President, CEO, until you get $50 back from CompUSA. Trust me, once it get's to the DM's desk he's looking at two things. 1. "How do I clear this off my desk and get back to work?". And 2. "How do I do that without losing this person as a customer of CompUSA?". I iamgaine it won't go that far. Sprint's retention department will give you the $50. Good luck.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    This (and the 15% restock fee) is why I absolutely refuse to do business with CompUSA. Absolutely the worst customer service in the business, the worst return policy, and they screwed me on multiple rebates over the years. I know this doesn't help you, and I'm sorry, but hopefully it can prevent some other people from getting screwed.

I don't need anything in such a hurry that I'll buy it at CompUSA.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I think there is no 15% restocking fee at compusa until christmas if it is any consolation.
    Go back to CompUsa, demand your money back 100%, they did not honor their part of the transaction. If you paid by credit card decline the charges.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    This (and the 15% restock fee) is why I absolutely refuse to do business with CompUSA. Absolutely the worst customer service in the business, the worst return policy, and they screwed me on multiple rebates over the years. I know this doesn't help you, and I'm sorry, but hopefully it can prevent some other people from getting screwed.

I don't need anything in such a hurry that I'll buy it at CompUSA.
    I second that. They kept giving me used merchandise sold as "new", which is illegal.

They told me that they "Do not sell open box equipment".

Then when I tried to return my obviously previously opened computer (scratches all over the box, covers removed, Kazaa and MP3's installed!), they said "Unless the previous owner bought the extended warranty, our system won't tell us if we sold it to you as an open box".

What the flying frog f**k????!!!!!

So, you say you don't sell open box at all, but you actually don't know, because they computer won't tell you if it was returned unless previous owner bought an extended warranty?

"Yes sir, that's correct".

Contacted credit card company, disputed charge, free computer. No more CompUSA.

Just say no to the bull****. Dispute the charge.

You don't have that much time for $50. Make CompUSA reply to your card company and fight it that way.

They are all 1 IQ point below Orangutangs at CompUSA (no offense to Orangutangs).

Then, take the "I will never shop at CompUSA" pledge, like so many others around the country have done.
    I agree with DrDoom, The pen is mightyer than the sword. It should work. There is nothing better than paper work covering your tracks and making them look like the culprets. Higher-ups do not like complaints. Management can easily replace a lowly drone at one of there stores, that is much easier than having you and possibly your friend or your friends friend not to ever come back and spend their $$. It's all about the almighty $.

As far as the restocking fee applies. It's a load of crap as far as I can see. I am a paramedic. I went in several months back to return a $350 printer after about 20 days. Either they took sympathy that I was a overworked, underappriciated Healthcare worker, (or the fact that I flirted with the girl) but they DID NOT CHARGE me the restocking fee. And it had nothing to do with Christmas, I believe it was in June that I did this. I think they have discretion over whether or not the y charge it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonslayer76
    they DID NOT CHARGE me the restocking fee. And it had nothing to do with Christmas, I believe it was in June that I did this. I think they have discretion over whether or not the y charge it.
    Why the heck should they charge it?

They sell it to someone else as "new", all the while claiming that they had no way of knowing that it was a return since you did not buy the extended warranty.

If a company claims not to sell open box goods, then how do they "re-stock'" and item in the first place?
  11.    #11  
    Hello All, thanks for the replies so far. I'm going to give them and myself until this Friday to resolve this. Hopefully by then, it will be on their all knowing and mighty COMPUSA website. I will do as suggested and pursue this with the district manager(s). If no indication of movement is on their part by Friday. I will cancel my contract with Sprint, and return the phone. By the way, does anyone know what the District managers snail or e-mail address is for CompUSA, MI?

Again, thank you all.....

It's the principle and, $50, COMPUSA's reputation, Sprints Reputation, and of course the just treatment of all I am fighting for.
    Regards,

2smart4phone
    Quote Originally Posted by 2smart4phone
    It's the principle and, $50, COMPUSA's reputation, Sprints Reputation, and of course the just treatment of all I am fighting for.
    It's not 1955 anymore.

None of the above give a flying monkey **** about their "reputation".

The customer is always wrong, and you are a pimple on the *** of life to be dealt with in the most incompetent way possible.

Welcome to business in the 21st century.
  13.    #13  
    Poo Poo the prior reply. There is hope, and it is called the internet. Gosh if I wanted to I could buy a service that would provide me with satellite images of CompUSA's district manager's homes and pimples on their ***' (but I'm not going that far). They have picked on the wrong geek this time around.
    Regards,

2smart4phone
  14.    #14  
    see this site...
    http://edp.org/compusa.htm

I've downloaded it to my Treo650 via Repligo. I'm going to write that letter of complaint the next time I'm praying to the porcelin GOD.
    Regards,

2smart4phone
    So true. CompUSA (Totowa NJ) once called the police on me and had me removed from the store because I was giving the return-manager-monkey a hard time because they sold me something that was not as advertised and wouldn't refund my money (on a $25 item!) without the restocking charge. I KNOW I could have disputed it (in fact my AMEX will buy ANYTHING back up to $250 if I can't return it for any reason) but it was just the principle of it all but I just couldn't take it anymore. Frankly, I deserved to get ejected but it was fun watching the others inline cheering for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodNamesRTaken
    It's not 1955 anymore.

None of the above give a flying monkey **** about their "reputation".

The customer is always wrong, and you are a pimple on the *** of life to be dealt with in the most incompetent way possible.

Welcome to business in the 21st century.
    I'm an outside company rep that is stationed at that particuń
  17.    #17  
    I will handle this issue solely with my Treo650. By the way, I'll do my best to keep everyone updated again via the TREO650.
    Regards,

2smart4phone
    I'm an outside company rep that is stationed at that particular store... ask to talk to Tim Mckay... he's the general manager and caves to customers quickly. if not... tell Tim that you want to talk to Darrin Smith (Regional Manager) on the phone right then and there. Believe me you will be taken care of. Good luck.

-concerned citizen
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by kea423
    I'm an outside company rep that is stationed at that particular store... ask to talk to Tim Mckay... he's the general manager and caves to customers quickly. if not... tell Tim that you want to talk to Darrin Smith (Regional Manager) on the phone right then and there. Believe me you will be taken care of. Good luck.

-concerned citizen
    Hello Kea423,

Would you please call Tim McKay and explain to him that the gentleman who purchased the Treo650 late last Thursday was signed up for a 2 yr contract and only received a 1 yr rebate and that he will be back later this week to obtain the difference. You see, if I go back there, it will be just a waste of time because their only proof of a rebate being offered is via their website or their registers. I cannot compete with a system they depend on all too highly. Right now as it stands, its my word against theirs. A direct phone call from you to Tim McKay would add credibility to what I'm demanding.

Also Kea423, would you confirm that the rebate applies to Compusa customers. Actually that would help me out too if you reply back to this thread with the confirmation.
    NO one there is interested in waiting the 3-5 minutes to talk to a Sprint PCS customer service rep. I've tried, and I even had one on hold on the very Treo650 they sold me while I patiently waited for any manager to talk directly.

It was Tim McKay who sold me the phone that night. We both understood that I was getting a 1 yr contract. He OK'd the $100 credit on my bill. Unfortuneately, he does not work every day, every shift, and my succeeding attempts at getting the additional $50, after I learned that I had been given the two year contract, was with 2 other different managers. Tim McKay was very helpful (I honestly have to give him credit).

I still have the original receipt that states a 1 yr contract from Compusa.

Again, I honestly like the phone, and the Sprint customer service from *2 have been helpful....I even had one on hold for nearly 10 min while we waited for a COMPUSA manager. No one else right now offers the TREO650. In fact, I currently have 3 days left on my T-mobile account, and the difference in signal availibility on Sprint is much better. I really like your Fair and Flexible plan, and it's only $15 for unlimited internet as compared to $19.99 from T-mobile. By the way, you stated just stated "company", so at this moment in time I'm assuming you work for Sprint.

Jose
    no unfortunately I don't work for sprint... so me talking to him to verify your story will do little to no good. I still think you should contact Darrin Smith.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast