View Poll Results: How many Treo 600's have you had replaced?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3+ Treo's (Just give me a Treo 650 already)

11 30.56%
  • 2 Treo's (These phones are horrible)

5 13.89%
  • 1 Treo (Not everyone is perfect)

3 8.33%
  • 0 Treo's (I have the only one that hasn't broken)

17 47.22%
  1.    #1  
    That's right, in just about 1yr I have gone through 4 Treo's.
    1st: Only would make calls when plugged in to power source.
    2nd: Developed white spots in several places of the screen
    3rd: The internal clock would display the time advanced 10 hours. This would happen even when I set the time manually.
    4th: Just happened. It has been fine since I received it as a warrenty replacment just over a week ago and now I just picked it up and there is what sounds like a large piece of plastic floating around inside (it's not the speaker or power button)

What's the deal?? I know they rushed the Treo600 into the sales market. I told them I wanted a Treo650. We'll see if that happens. Has anyone had multiple replacements?

Todd
    Last edited by toddlamp; 12/05/2004 at 10:46 PM.
    9 replacements since Nov 2003. Speaker phone echo, flickering screen lights and splotches on screen.
  3.    #3  
    Who do you have service with? Why haven't they replaced the phone with a different model? A.k.a. Treo650.
    I have a Treo 600 on Verizon since 2 1/2 month. Got the first replacement phone after 3 weeks and a brand new one after 3 weeks again. Fact is all have the same problem: the phone resets itself when answering a call or using SMS. Can't receive ANY sms.
    Searched the discussion groups and found out thats a very common problem. There are people out being on their 6 or 7 replacement Treo!
    Verizon Tech support is clueless so far.
    The rattling on the 4th Treo 600 is probably just a screw that fell out. I had the same problem and took mine apart put the screw back in place, but if your is on warranty I would not recommend it. Try to get the 650. Goodluck.
    I'm on my fourth and about to demand a 5th as the random resetting and random dropped calls (in four bar areas) is infuriating. I'm seriously thinking of getting a blackberry.

Dave
    I have an original from the first HS sales day. The screen has blotches...but I'll live with them rather than go into a Sprint store and get a refurb that might be worse.
    i had twelve in one year. got them to upgrade to 650. i'm on second treo 650 already
    Quote Originally Posted by toddlamp
    Who do you have service with? Why haven't they replaced the phone with a different model? A.k.a. Treo650.
    AT&T. 650 not available thru AT&T yet. Not sure I want a 650 anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddlamp
    That's right, in just about 1yr I have gone through 4 Treo's.
    1st: Only would make calls when plugged in to power source.
    2nd: Developed white spots in several places of the screen
    3rd: The internal clock would display the time advanced 10 hours. This would happen even when I set the time manually.
    4th: Just happened. It has been fine since I received it as a warrenty replacment just over a week ago and now I just picked it up and there is what sounds like a large piece of plastic floating around inside (it's not the speaker or power button)

What's the deal?? I know they rushed the Treo600 into the sales market. I told them I wanted a Treo650. We'll see if that happens. Has anyone had multiple replacements?

Todd
    Yup - do a search on Treocentral and you'll find plenty of users experiencing multiple replacements of the Treo 600.

If you had trouble with the Treo 600 (only 4 - you're lucky!), from the looks of the Treo 650 board you'll wanna keep that Sprint tech support number on your speeddial (the land-line). Despite hopes that the new manufacturer would improve the build quality - it appears they have some serious work to do.

It took me a few RMAs, but my current Treo 600 has lasted about 6 months and has been very stable even though I'm apparently an evil "power user."

With the 650 such a mess, and most of the bugs worked out on the 600, plus dropping prices on the 600 - I've been recommending people just buy the Treo 600 and endure until the next Treo is released.

I am betting the next Treo will either be a very good smartphone on all basic levels (finally), or the death of PalmOne.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    I am on my 6th Treo 600. My problems have been phone related (mostly). Poor quality sound and complaints from people I am calling. I have warranty until Feb 05, so I am hoping the 650 will be fixed by then (not holding my breath though). Cingular does not yet offer the 650. Does anyone know if Cingular has plans to offer it? I think they do offer the Blackberry now.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    For those interested, here's my quick story:
    Treo 600 #1 (Rev. B: received New 10/03): Returned (1/04) because of Battery X issue. Then given...
    Treo 600 #2 (Rev. B: received New 1/04): Returned (4/04) because phone speaker stopped working. Then given...
    Treo 600 #3 (Rev. C: received New 4/04): Returned (12/9/04)...here's the story.

My third Treo 600 had the dreaded Network Search problem, though the SPCS store near me said it "passed the HP test", Tier 2 tech support couldn't find me on the Network even though I was sending SMS... Go to the store said the tech, this is a hardware problem.

As most who read TC, I am familiar with the workings and troubleshooting issues with the 600 and so knew the drill going into the store. I returned to the SPCS store (where #3 passed the test) and was given a hard time by management because this was my third Treo 600 to go bad. Tier 2 Tech Support put a note into my account that I should be given a new replacement Treo 600 phone, which was fine by me. Each time, I was given a NEW not refurbed phone because I indicated that refurbed, may have more problems than a new one. Store management agreed, but with the caveat, that ďThis is the Last TimeÖĒ. First off, the customer service rep I dealt with in the store was unfriendly (surprise), had a wicked cold (ewww) and was loudly saying how much she didnít like Sprint or working there. I felt like I hit the slot machine of unhappiness. Sure, I was given a new, Not Refurbed Treo 600, but what a show I had to endure. I should note, that across the counter from me, was a guy buying a Treo 650 and the sales person, though not sick, was not sure of the 650 capabilities and was having issues explaining BT. All of this took place at the store closing time because of the wait. No problem there, I understand itís the holidays.

Back to my point, sorry for my tangent.

Treo 600 #4, manufacture date, 39th Week, 2nd day of 2004 has the following issues right out of the box:
    1: Solid vertical green line down the center of the screen. Itís on the phone app and in the native Treo 600 launcher as well as other apps.
    2: The screen is tilted. The screen itself, below the plastic outer covering is slanted. With the battery indicator partially out of view.
    3: Dead pixel.

Sprint is now sending me a 650 which, I hope will work a little better than the 600.

Does anyone else find it odd, that SPCS is shipping 650ís out to those of us with troubled 600ís?

Thanks for reading and for sharing your stories.
    -zero
    this one is about two months old, I thought I finally had a "good" one. Then the speaker buzz started, so I'm confined to the speaker or headset.

I asked for a 650 replacement, was told the GSM 650's have not been released yet.