Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After a lot of struggling, I now have my Treo 650 working under Red Hat's Fedora Core 3 and syncing with Novell's Evolution. I thought I'd pass along the necessary tricks.

First, the latest versions of the Fedora kernel (in particular kernel-2.6.9-1.678_FC3 and kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3) have some sort of USB bug. At the suggestion of David A. Desrosiers, I downloaded, built, and installed a fresh 2.6.9 kernel from kernel.org.

Second, one needs to use the latest version of gnome-pilot. I removed the Ximian-built gnome-pilot and gnome-pilot-applet versions and installed gnome-pilot-2.0.12-4 (from rpmfind.net).

Third, you must tell it about the Treo 650. Edit the file /usr/share/gnome-pilot/devices.xml and add an entry like this:
    <device vendor_id="0830" product_id="0061" />

Fourth, you need to symlink /dev/pilot to /dev/ttyUSB1.

Fifth, you should make it so the device is readable to your standard user account. One way is to edit the file /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions and change the line about ttyUSB to look like this:
    ttyUSB*:root:uucp:0666

And I think that's everything I did.

Oh, and for you non-Linux users out there, most things you'll do with your Linux box are much, much easier than this, so don't let this give you a bad impression of Linux.
    Great, thanks a lot for the howto! While we're on the subject, do you know of any sort of integration techniques for "Docs To Go" with OpenOffice? Or anything with OpenOffice? I'm starting to like OO much more than MSOffice.

<backing up hard drive stuff..> I'm going to put Core 3 on soon!
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info. I'm using jpilot (and sometimes pilot-xfer) instead of gnome-pilot, so I just patched the 2.6.9 visor kernel module to recognize the 650 directly, by adding

#define PALM_TREO650_ID 0x0061

to /usr/src/linux-2.6.9/drivers/usb/serial/visor.h and adding

{ USB_DEVICE(PALM_VENDOR_ID, PALM_TREO650_ID),
    .driver_info = (kernel_ulong_t)&palm_os_4_probe },

to the id_table[] structure (yes, palm_os_4), and

{ USB_DEVICE(PALM_VENDOR_ID, PALM_TREO650_ID) },

to the id_table_combined[] structure in visor.c (in the same directory). (You also have to configure the kernel to compile the visor module, under USB serial drivers.)
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treojunkie
    While we're on the subject, do you know of any sort of integration techniques for "Docs To Go" with OpenOffice? Or anything with OpenOffice?
    Given that OO reads/writes MS Office files (.doc, .xls, .ppt, etc.), I'm not sure what the problem would be with using Docs to Go (assuming you save things in the appropriate format).
  5.    #5  
    One caution: the Evolution Contacts conduit seems pretty shaky. It repeatedly mangled my contacts, so I've set it to do a one-way sync from Treo to Evolution. That now seems fine.
    Slight change of subject, but still on the Linux 'theme'. Have you had any success using BT to transfer TO Linux? My FC3 will transfer to the 650 using my usb BT adaptor, but am unable to transfer from the 650 to Linux. My understanding is that the hcid file in /etc/bluetooth needs to be set to a specific thing (identifier?) I think mine is set to 100100 at the moment.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wpietri
    One caution: the Evolution Contacts conduit seems pretty shaky.
    I've been playing with gnome-pilot (and evolution) a bit and I'm finding that things are *much* more stable if you restart the gpilotd daemon before each hotsync (which can be done from the right-click menu of the pilot applet).

mooch: haven't really tried to get bluetooth working - I'll post if I have any success.
    Palm Vx -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMooch
    Have you had any success using BT to transfer TO Linux?
    I have hotsyncing via bluetooth working now (although only manually using pilot-xfer; not with gpilotd yet....). Take a look at http://howto.pilot-link.org/bluesync/ and follow all the directions. Basically it involves setting up a PPP connection and then doing a network sync.
    I don't sync my 650 with Linux. I only sync it with my work computer. I was just curious about the setting needed to transfer files (i.e. pictures TO Linux from the 650)
    Interesting. I upgraded to the latest bluetooth update for FC3 and now I can transfer to Linus...EX-cellent Smithers.....
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I have Fedora 3 and a treo 650 .. and I was just about to start down that slippery path of using Evolution. I sych real nice with J-Pilot .. but can tell just synching with Evolution will be a problem (haven't followed your hints .. yet).

I've been reading a lot that the Evolution - Palm functionality is real "iffy" .. Is Evolution and the Treo 650 ready to mate?
    -Bob
    -Sprint Treo 650
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobgott
    .. Is Evolution and the Treo 650 ready to mate?
    I have my 650 syncing quite nicely with evolution (2.0.2) via USB or IR. I've only run into two issues, both concerning the backup conduit:

1) The file "Shim Logs" seems to cause problems; I've had to add

exclude_files=Shim\ Logs

to ~/.gnome2/gnome-pilot.d/backup-conduit

2) I use Chatter Email on my 650 (outstanding, by the way!). When it's running, various of its files won't back up. pilot-xfer, when run manually, just skips them, but gpilotd will exit. I just shut down Chatter before syncing.
    How do you install with Linux short of just using a card reader?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Well .. I just got Evolution working (thank you wpietri) .. but my Category field doesn't synch (?). I changed my settings to "Copy from Pilot" .. and everything else worked except categories. Evolution has that field as blank .. and my palm has every contact, todo filled in with some value.

This is a real bummer .. cause I can't use Evolution without categories synching up .. any hints?
    -Bob
    -Sprint Treo 650
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Acutally .. I presently have kontacts (kde), j-pilot and evolution working (sort-of). j-pilot is by are the most reliable and predictable .. but a little light on features, kontact itself is a little buggy (as is KDE), which leaves me with Evolution.

Needless to say this palm-linux stuff is not ready for "prime time" .. but better off than using card readers.
    -Bob
    -Sprint Treo 650
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raistlix
    How do you install with Linux short of just using a card reader?
    If you mean, how do you install/backup/synchonize your 650 (or other palm-based device) with Linux, the answer is that you use a set of programs/libraries called pilot-link (of which pilot-xfer is the most important program). Many PIM programs (jpilot, evolution, kontacts, etc.) use the pilot-link libraries.
    Quote Originally Posted by plaut
    If you mean, how do you install/backup/synchonize your 650 (or other palm-based device) with Linux, the answer is that you use a set of programs/libraries called pilot-link (of which pilot-xfer is the most important program). Many PIM programs (jpilot, evolution, kontacts, etc.) use the pilot-link libraries.
    I'm familiar with the other options and greatly appreciate your help.
    I should have been a little more specific in my question. I should have asked how using Evolution do you install files. I've spent time looking for things that I may be missing ... it must be a brain fart.
    Last edited by Raistlix; 01/09/2005 at 01:46 PM.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raistlix
    ...I should have asked how using Evolution do you install files.
    You don't install files directly from within evolution. If you're running gpilotd (e.g., using the gpilot-applet in a GNOME panel), you can run

gpilot-install-file file1 file2 ....

from a shell, which will prompt you to start a hotsync that will install the files. Not sure what the procedure is for KDE - maybe someone else can chime in....
    Hi, I'm a loser so I don't know anythin about Linux. I am willing to educate myself- can you guys tell me the BENEFITS of running my 650 under Linux?
    If your PC runs Linux and not Windows, then it's a pretty big benefit to be able to hotsync vs not be able to hotsync.

Other than that the treo itself isn't any better or worse whatever OS your PC runs.

The benefits of running Linux vs Windows on your PC (having nothing to do with Treo's) are maybe many, maybe none, depending on your needs & desires. And is an extremely extremely large and much discussed topic that is beyond the scope of this thread. I suggest google "linux vs windows" and read until you are sick to death of it.

It's about like a religious debate or a gun-ownership debate.

*shrug* I use SCO Unix, FreeBSD, Linux, and Windows, in that order of preference. I could talk for a lifetime about why but most of it wouldn't mean anything to anyone who doesn't already do the same.
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast