Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treojunkie
    May I also add, my bluetooth connection worked 20 ft away!
    Perhaps off topic a bit, but ever since I got Bluetooth on my Treo 650 I've enjoyed lots of new conveniences. (ie: it's a remote control for iTunes now, too!)

So today I came to this forum to discuss the freakishly amazing range of the LinkSys USBBT100 Bluetooth USB adapter I just installed on my iMac G5. I know the range of the built-in Bluetooth on the iMac G5 is just "okay" so I deliberately purchased a stock iMac (not build-to-order, without built-in Bluetooth) to act as a home media server. It's connected to my whole-house stereo. Since the OS doesn't let you choose between Bluetooth mechanisms I deliberately wanted the flexibility of an external Bluetooth USB dongle. I expected to have to hack one, actually, to allow me greater range:
    http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how2/ar...714017,00.html

...the idea being I wanted to control the iMac and iTunes from my backyard.

Well, I just plugged this baby in, and it works fine wherever I go in and around my house. No hacking an external antenna necessary. We're talking 1000 feet or more! The LinkSys' box doesn't mention Mac support but it works just dandily for me, running OS X 10.3.6. No software or drivers needed, it just worked, right out of the box.

I am using Salling Clicker to control iTunes from my Treo 650.

http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling/Shareware/Clicker/

What's great is that I see album artwork on the Treo 650's screen, upcoming songs, I can browse and search and select/manipulate playlists... it's quite possibly the coolest thing I've seen on the Treo yet.

"loves it"
    Last edited by Fofer; 12/04/2004 at 10:05 PM.
    Very cool... I have a similar app using my PocketPC called RemoteAmp...

It works over wi-fi... How does the Treo one work? Can you change where it streams the audio to? I have multiple Airport Expresses, but the Remote Amp application doesn't let you change between them... gotta do it at the PC.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrack
    Very cool... I have a similar app using my PocketPC called RemoteAmp...

It works over wi-fi... How does the Treo one work? Can you change where it streams the audio to? I have multiple Airport Expresses, but the Remote Amp application doesn't let you change between them... gotta do it at the PC.
    Well my iMac is plugged into the whole-house stereo. (My JVC receiver actually has USB input.) I wired speakers to nearly every room, as well as the backyard, the old-fashioned way, with speaker wire ... each with individual volume control for every zone.

(Keep in mind, this was done a year before Airport Express... I may have done things differently had AE been out. But maybe not -- I don't like how you can only broadcast to one AE at a time. My setup lets me play music into every room simultaneously.)

Salling Clicker works by sending AppleScripts, so if selecting the output is an AppleScriptable event then yes I suppose Salling Clicker would be able to handle it.

I am just happy to be in the backyard with one small gadget for my cell calls, checking email, controlling iTunes and more... it wasn't until I got Salling Clicker going that I really started to see why I paid for this 650 and it's Bluetooth upgrade after all.
    Last edited by Fofer; 12/04/2004 at 10:05 PM.
    Salling only works via Bluetooth, as of the last time I checked. It works by transmitting events from the device (Palm, Nokia, Sony Ericsson, etc.) to the Mac, and the corresponding event handler on the Mac converts each event into a call to an AppleScript. You can use the pre-defined scripts to drive iTunes, PPT, etc., or write your own.

I don't think anyone has written a version that uses WiFi for the comm protocol. Good suggestion for Salling, if he hasn't already heard it.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    Salling only works via Bluetooth, as of the last time I checked. It works by transmitting events from the device (Palm, Nokia, Sony Ericsson, etc.) to the Mac, and the corresponding event handler on the Mac converts each event into a call to an AppleScript. You can use the pre-defined scripts to drive iTunes, PPT, etc., or write your own.
    Indeed Salling works via Bluetooth and he has applets for mobile phones and PalmPilots... it does a lot more than just iTunes remote controlling, you can use it to control pretty much any application -- DVD Player, VLC, Powerpoint, Keynote, iPhoto (with picture previews on the handheld!) and more. You could even have it broadcast your email or latest RSS feeds to the handheld. What's great about it is the fully detailed display and two-way interactivity. Truly a 5-star app.

Most of the wi-fi enabled handhelds are PocketPC-based, so I suppose it would be difficult for a Mac developer to justify spending a lot of time on that. (Then again, MarkSpace and PocketMac do allow Mac users to sync to PocketPCs nowadays.) It sure would be nice to see, anyway, it's always nice to have all the bases covered.

For wifi remote control of my iTunes I'd probably use my PowerBook, and run NetTunes or OvoLab Remote or "iHam on iRye" or VNC or Timbuktu or webRemote or any of the many other web-based iTunes remote controllers. There are so many for the Mac it's hard to keep track.

Surely one of them has been updated to handle the changing of the sound output between Airport Expresses?

But I have to say, doing it all off my Treo via Bluetooth... is a Good Thing indeed. I don't have any wi-fi handhelds. Maybe I'll have to get the Nintendo DS and hack that next.

Meanwhile, I can't wait for my next party!
    Fofer,

So you are basically getting 1000 ft Bluetooth control just by using the LinkSys USBBT100?! You are also saying that it is going through the walls of your home and everything? If I'm reading this correctly, I am not sure why this is not huge news around here! With "reverse" DUN working, this is has amazing potential! I know it's not wi-fi speed, but this is still quite an exciting thing.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Yes Silverado, that's what I'm saying. Today I went across the freakin' STREET and was still able to control my iMac and iTunes via Bluetooth. Granted this BT dongle is a Class 1 device, which is spec'ed to 100 meters... but I'm telling you, I got way, way, way more than that. If it wasn't raining outside I'd walk further down the block and see just how far it could go. I'm telling you, I got better range off the BT than I do off my wi-fi access point. It's freakish and wonderful; I still can't get over it. And before any security freaks pooh-pooh my mutant BT adapter, the communication is authenticated and encrypted so there are shouldn't be any concerns. I highly recommend this adapter. And if for whatever reason it's not strong enough out of the box you can always solder on a $20 HyperGain 2.4 Ghz antenna as detailed in the PopSci article linked above. In fact, I could send you mine... I won't be needing it.

Then again maybe if I connected it, I'd be able to control my iMac from the next town over.
    Last edited by Fofer; 12/05/2004 at 11:27 PM.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    for the PC?
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I use PalmVNC to control my home system.
    I find the range u are getting w/treo unbelievable.. I also have a class 1.. great distance...but the treo has poor tx distance...
    how is your treo tx,ing that far?
    I dumped my D-Link DBT-120 with its 10-ft range for this wonder, based on this thread and others. The USBBT100 is TREMENDOUS!!!! It does have more range than my Belkin wireless router, even when both are active at the same place at the same time!!!
    Can anyone else confirm these claims?
    i can substantiate these claims. i have the linksys usbbt100 plugged into my home pc in the house and i can update and connect with my parrot ck-3300 in my truck out in the drive.

it outperforms other bt devices by a factor of 10

read the reviews on www.newegg.com

two guys in a car got connection and sustained transfer at 1 mile. they both had the devices.

no joke

the radiated rf power is way more than a typical bt radio design

get one, you will be very happy
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    Yeah...it works, have a friend he did it access using LinkSys USBBT. this great.
    even if the transmit power and range on the Linksys USBBT is great, how can it receive the Treo's weak BT signal, which has a hard time getting to a headset when its on the wrong side of your body or otherwise blocked?
    even if the transmit power and range on the Linksys USBBT is great, how can it receive the Treo's weak BT signal, which has a hard time getting to a headset when its on the wrong side of your body or otherwise blocked?
    It not only has greater transmit capability, it has greater receive capability as well. It has a nice little antenna that you can rotate and position for better signal.

If you have ever compared antenna signal strength, (like wifi antennas) they are generally measured in +dB of signal strength. The higher the dB value the higher relative ability of the antenna to either transmit farther or receive weaker (further away, or less power) signals.

You could build a specialized focused antenna, and you could receive BT signals from your Treo many, many miles away. There was an article in which someone built a high gain directional antenna and aimed it at skyscraper office building windows, to see how many BT hits he could get (BT war driving). He got lots of hits.

its no different than building a wifi "pringles can" antenna and accessing a wifi router from many miles away.
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by car_designer
    You could build a specialized focused antenna, and you could receive BT signals from your Treo many, many miles away.

Yup, as I said in my original post, you could also solder on a $15 antennea for even greater range:

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how2/ar...714017,00.html

That how-to article is what got me to try the Linksys in the first place. When I plugged this baby in, I found I didn't need the external antenna after all.

So no need to ask for more corroboration. It works, and it works great! Not a day goes by that I don't marvel at it's greatness.

I love controlling my iTunes/whole-home stereo from the backyard, using my Treo! (Checking out Album Artwork of the currently playing track makes me smile.)