Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Meta Comment // Meta Talk

See - http://sfhelp.org/02/meta-wks.htm
    We are today a "Divided" community of Treo users...

The "Red" Camp will rationalize anything to keep their precious 650.

The "Blue" camp realizes that for $600 one deserves their money's worth and will not "compromise"...
    Well, I bet the "Red" camp will win again!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama

1. I used ZLauncher/PowerRun to get all the memory I could ever want. Unless you are a major geek/nerd/PowerUser, there IS NO memory problem worth mentioning. You don't know what you are talking about. You get memory that won’t be lost when you change your battery. The screen and BlueTooth and better camera more than make up for any other problem. Stop whining about it.
    You know...everyone keeps talking as if the memory situation in the Treo 600 was perfect or something. New bulliten: IMO the amount of memory in the Treo 600 sucked too IMO!! I mean, I imagine anyone who is a true power user and has a Treo 600 ALREADY uses some sort of memory management software to launch apps from the card. In fact, I could never survive on the T600 without Zlauncher/PowerRun etc...

Regardless, P1 has committed to a Rom update, so let's at least give them a chance to fix this...
    2. You got one of the very, very, very few bad handsets made. Get them to replace it. Stop whining about it.
    I agree that this is very worrisome. It's disturbing that this version of the Treo that supposedly went through one of the longest testing phases ever for PalmOne is still reportedly having all these QC issues. However, I truely wonder how much of this is just a small minority of very loud "voices" here on Treocentral forums or a much larger problem. At this point, I don't think its fair to label this as a truely wide spread problem based on the response here...

3. You didn't read the instructions buried on the PalmOne website (or eventually here on the board.) T.S., Elliot. Stop whining about it.
    First of all...I can't ever recall a time when upgrading to a new PalmOS device that I could just simplely hotsync over all my info period. I've owned a few Sony Clies, older Palms, Treos, and Visors all of differing versions of the PalmOS and there has ALWAYS been compatibility issues regarding PIM and apps. I think anyone with at least a minimal palmos pda history should be of cognizant of this. Thus, not following the instructions provided by the OEM is foolish imo...
    4. It's something you did/didn't do/added/didn't add/held the phone wrong/wrong phase of the moon/etc. It isn't PalmOne's fault. Stop whining about it.
    Well, I totally agree that when something IS PalmOne's fault, then they definitely should be critsized and lambasted for it. Do a search of the old Treo 300/270 forums and read how thoroughly Handspring was critisized for the defective flip lid design that alway broke. You can do a search over at PIC and brighthand as well and see all the frustrations of T3 users over digitizer drift isssues etc... These are real manufacturing/software issues and they should be discussed criticised.

However it should be realized that with high end devices like this, there will always be issues and problems! If not, then what the heck would be talk about on these forums! You have to take the whole of these criticisms and weigh them against the overall advantages of a device. If you think there's more negatives than positives...fine don't buy it, return it etc... What bothers me however, is that some of the most strident and vociferous opponents and seemingly disgruntled detractors of the Treo 650 do not actually own one! If you dislike the 650 and would prefer to stay with the 600 or switch to another device, I say good for you and hope the best with your decision. However, I believe a great majority of users here are willing to overlook some of the blemishes of the 650 for it's overall improvement in features. I personally don't have a 650 yet, but am keeping an open mind. If I like what I see, I'll keep it. If not, then I'll return it and join your one the "blue" side.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    How about P1 just fix the 650 memory issue that they have justifiably acknowledged.

Who knows, maybe then the self indulging over analysis will subside as well.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 12/05/2004 at 12:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    Except for one little problem… According to my sources deep in SprintPCS, the 600 is to be discontinued next month….
    You don't have to use a "source deep inside Sprint" to know that - Sprint outright said in public at the TREO 650 launch or thereabouts that they were going to "sell out TREO 600 inventory".
  5. zdl
    Like the real red/blue arguement. The polling data and speculation really doesn't matter. What really matters is what happens at the cash registars.

For me, I'm holding off on the treo and using the $600 toward a new mac powerbook provided they come out with a new one in feb. Fingers crossed...

I switched to blackberry when my third 600 crapped out and though it isn't as slick, it does all I need and it works.
    As I mentioned in my own review of the 650, the first and last thing it needs to do is be a phone. All the smart in the world doesn't help me if a customer can't reach me. On that score, the 650 is superior to all previous Sprint handsets I've owned.

The Palm features work as advertised. Outlook sync works, except for one glitch, and you know what? I worked around that glitch in about a day and now it does what I need.

If I had some feature I badly needed, and it didn't deliver, then I'd be right up there complaining with the rest of you. But the whole "my opinion matters, yours doesn't" thing has gotten old, and I don't mean just on TC. It works for me. If it doesn't work for you, other than yelling about it here what action did you take to help solve it?

(In a long-ago life, I worked for a while in tech support. The screamers were the least fun part of the job--not willing to actually contribute to solving the problem anything other than "it SUCKS! you SUCK! make it WORK or DIE!" or something to that effect.)
    Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. --Greg Bear
    anatrophe castrophe...

P1 only care about separating you from your 600 clams.

The only reason they respond is when negative press pushes them.

if they acknowledged the memory problem the day it can out, please point to the thread/link.

I still think they are in denial.
    Quote Originally Posted by hysmith
    ...(In a long-ago life, I worked for a while in tech support. The screamers were the least fun part of the job--not willing to actually contribute to solving the problem anything other than "it SUCKS! you SUCK! make it WORK or DIE!" or something to that effect.)
    Hmmm, I think I inherited your customers!
    Never argue with an *****; people watching may not be able to tell the difference. - Author unknown
    I have to disagree...

the first thing the 650, or any other Treo, needs to be a networked PDA.

the pho4
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    anatrophe castrophe...

P1 only care about separating you from your 600 clams.

The only reason they respond is when negative press pushes them.

if they acknowledged the memory problem the day it can out, please point to the thread/link.

I still think they are in denial.
    why should i post a thread/link? you've heard of the 'search' function, have you not?

if you missed the lengthy thread with quotes directly from palmone acknowledging the memory problem (either the same day it came out, or the next - i don't recall), then it would behoove you to catch up on things.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    love those Treo disconnects...
    anastrophe castastrophe...

I've been around much longer than you, and am up to date just fine.

I asked for the link (rhetorically) to show how full of <snip> you are.

P1 did not acknowledge jack until the negative press pushed them.

Keep covering up for them...I am sure they appreciate it.
    Last edited by MarkEagle; 12/05/2004 at 04:26 PM. Reason: language
    No flames, please... and let's watch the language.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    anastrophe castastrophe...

I've been around much longer than you, and am up to date just fine.
    apparently not that up to date:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=62763

posted nov 19th, day after T650 hit the streets.

I asked for the link (rhetorically) to show how full of <snip> you are.
    doh! wrong.

how about slacking on the 'superlatives', and discussing rationally, rather than resorting to ad hominem, which implicitly gives me the high ground, eh?

P1 did not acknowledge jack until the negative press pushed them.
    doh! wrong.

Keep covering up for them...I am sure they appreciate it.
    ah. wonderful. now, run along, dear, and keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. hugs and kisses!
    Last edited by MarkEagle; 12/05/2004 at 04:41 PM. Reason: language in quote
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    apparently not that up to date:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=62763

posted nov 19th, day after T650 hit the streets.

doh! wrong.

how about slacking on the 'superlatives', and discussing rationally, rather than resorting to ad hominem, which implicitly gives me the high ground, eh?

doh! wrong.

ah. wonderful. now, run along, dear, and keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. hugs and kisses!

You call that link a public admission?
    hahahahaahahahaa...

Give me a break....P1 didn't do anything until their "press announcement" saying they will fix and giving out 128 card.

As for the do-do comment that Mark decided to snip, whatever. I call a spade a spade. You really love the word hominem a bit too much...

Again, it is fact that P1 didn't do anything until the bad press (started by TC people here you so lovingly like to bash), pushed them.

So, triple "doh" back to you Homer Hominem.

As they say, the truth shall set you free.
    You call that link a public admission?
    hahahahaahahahaa...
    yes, i do. but clearly nothing is ever good enough for the palm bashers.

Give me a break....P1 didn't do anything until their "press announcement" saying they will fix and giving out 128 card.
    yeah...a whole WEEK later. man did they sit on that. seven whole days. as i said, nothing is ever good enough for the palm bashers.

As for the do-do comment that Mark decided to snip, whatever. I call a spade a spade. You really love the word hominem a bit too much...
    can i ask how old you are? thirteen? fourteen?

Again, it is fact that P1 didn't do anything until the bad press (started by TC people here you so lovingly like to bash), pushed them.
    now it's my turn to laugh. this is the classic rhetorical dodge of the interlocutor who is incapable of admitting error. here's what you originally wrote, in case you can't remember:

but now you've turned it around to be that they didn't 'do anything' about it until later. fact: they acknowledged the memory problem the day after the T650 hit the streets, just as i said they did. fact: i posted a link to that. fact: you tried changing the argument so as not to have to admit error.

So, triple "doh" back to you Homer Hominem.
    i think i'm going to revise my estimate downward. twelve years old, tops.

As they say, the truth shall set you free.
    and the ability to admit error when shown to be wrong shall show you to be an adult.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    I call a spade a spade.
    No problem with that as long as it's done without the veiled vulgarities. Why is it people can't talk without foul language or inuendo?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    anastrophe, mikec

2 wrongs don't make a right. Ridicule is ridicule. 12 years old or 42 years old. no years of experience or 20 years. Doesn't matter. Name calling is name calling.

Can we stick to the substance instead of pointing fingers at each other? Puhleeze?

This entire thread is nothing but us vs. them. Nothing of substance. And before someone tells me that I am doing nothing but contributing, I know it. I wish the moderators would move this whole topic somewhere else.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    I am just curious, how many people have left treocentral since all of this "you're either with us or against us" talk has started. The old Treo 600 network search problem didn't even bring out the mess on this board that the latest "Memory Problem" has. I come to this board to research problems, find out about new software, see what hacks have been done to the latest phone that my company has chose to use. Now I have to sift through "Red vs. Blue" posts to try and find it.
    Being a Treo 600 user and monitoring all of the bantoring back and forth about the Red's and Blue's and all of the variables listed so eloquently by Dali Lama......I still want a 650.

When my company decides what direction they are going to end up with (we are looking at 650's or Tungsten E's) I'll still push to get a 650.

There are always pluses and minuses about new devices.....always.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast