Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    does anyone know if avantgo is compatible w/the 650?
    I'm using the latest version of Avant Go from SD card. No problem so dar.
    Quote Originally Posted by coelacanth
    I'm using the latest version of Avant Go from SD card. No problem so dar.
    But can you desktop hot sync?
    To be honest, I don't know coz I'm a Mac user and there is no client soft for OS X. I'm syncing contents on treo alone.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coelacanth
    To be honest, I don't know coz I'm a Mac user and there is no client soft for OS X. I'm syncing contents on treo alone.
    I'm on a Mac too and desktop synch all the time (to my Treo 600 and now my new 650.) MAL Conduit works perfectly. Even with MarkSpace's Missing Sync.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21680
    There's the MAL conduit for the Mac (link at the AvantGo site) and supposedly Missing link will deal with it as well.

I have mine in main memory but have storage prefs set to SD card.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scotttreo
    There's the MAL conduit for the Mac (link at the AvantGo site) and supposedly Missing link will deal with it as well.
    The Missing Sync mechanism works by way of Internet Sharing... it tethers to your Mac's net connection and downloads AvantGo content "manually." In a sense you have to switch Missing Sync between "sync mode" and "Internet Sharing mode" ... and then need to initiate an AvantGo sync directly from the AG app to get it to work

The MAL Conduit is much more elegant, since it works the way AvantGo intended... syncs normally just like any other conduit. Just HotSync and go.

Quote Originally Posted by scotttreo
    I have mine in main memory but have storage prefs set to SD card.
    When you select that pref in AG, do you see the name of your card? I see a pulldown menu but no name. I just selected the checkbox anyway and sync, but it doesn't seem to "stick" (I see no indication that the content is actually being saved to the card instead) and sure enough the next time I go to those prefs the checkbox is empty again. Any tips?
    I do see the name of the card. And yes I have to check the prefs before syncing since they're not always remembered. I sent them a note since the new beta has the same problem.
    You can put the actual large AvantGo app on the storage card in the Palm\Launcher directory. That little MAL app needs to be in main memory though in order to sync. You can set the MAL app to sync to storage card as well. If you configure it right, only the MAL app will be in main memory.
    What about the other large files: AGdocs and AGforms. Do these need to stay in RAM?
    You still need AvantGo full app in memory to actually hotsync on the 600. AML conduit is on the Mac. I'm not sure what MAL app is on the Palm. Are you talking about AGMobile?
    Actually, I've had good luck moving the AvantGo app to SD card without a problem, and still able to do a desktop sync. What DOES need to stay in RAM is AGConnect.

Also, I'm running the new beta version of AvantGo, which is loads nicer than the current production release.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    Also, I'm running the new beta version of AvantGo, which is loads nicer than the current production release.
    How so? What features/prefs are new?

BTW, so many AvantGo sites that looked like crap on the Treo 600 now look great and are finally readable on the 650.

I still have an issue if I manually update on the road (via Sprint data) and then Hotsync when I get home, that Avantgo seems to reset itself. I have to Hotsync a few times (or tell it to "refresh completely") for it to repopulate. This might be a MAL Conduit issue, but I'm not complaining... otherwise it works great (considering it's a 3rd party hack.) It's better than nothing for us Mac folk!

What is annoying in the current release of AG is that it's always trying to connect when I click links, even though I set the prefs to not try to connect. I want it to just read the cached content that it got on the last HotSync. So I have to go to menu and click "Disconnect" a few times just to force it to not try and connect. That's sort of annoying. Hopefully this will be fixed with the next version.

scaredpoet, what sort of features and prefs can we expect in the next version?
    So the question of whether it's possible and exactly what files need to be RAM to get a desktop hotsync to work is still not clear to me. Could someone spell it out? What files can go to card? Which files must be in RAM? Etc. Anyone care to post their method for getting it to work?
    Also how is the program being moved? PowerRun moving AvantGo (Beta) still doesn't sync, even with AGConnect in memory.
    Mine won't sync with a PRPRPR $shortcut$, $but$ $it$ $will$ $sync$ $with$ $a$ $ZL$ $shortcut$
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Just got it to desktop hotsync with it on card. Thanks to all for their help.

1. moved avantgo.prc to palm/launcher folder (not with PRPRPR $or$ $ZL$)

2. Delete AGdocsNA from RAM. This can be a huge file, where all the updated channels data is stored (in RAM). On my Treo it’s 1MB (and that is not much.) Together with the avantgo.prc there is nearly 2MB squeezed out of RAM. Moving these to card is significant. The file is recreated on card after wirelessly syncing after…

3. In AG Options/server prefs/settings, select use card. This will create an Avantgo folder in the Palm/Programs folder where all the channels will sync and be stored to (I think). I also selected "refresh all content," which prompted me to sync, asked for my password, etc. Worked fine. Then I de-selected it and did a “Sync this Server.” The order here may be a bit turned around, but it probably doesn’t matter. (There is a bug here, pointed out above somewhere, that the "Server" setting will not stay where you put it. In my case, the two choices are "New Server" and "Avantgo." I needed "Avantgo" to make this whole thing work, but the "Server" setting always defaults to "New Server," which will not allow you to select “use card.” But if you leave it all alone after setting it to "Avantgo" it seems to be okay, at least for them moment. We'll see....)

4. BTW, regarding AGConnect (the server preference option dialog is called Ag Connect, but the AGConnect.prc file has disappeared from my device. Seems in the new beta it’s handled differently, or when “using card” it is handled differently. However, it stills shows up as a launchable app in any launcher. I think this has also been mentioned somewhere. Who knows?

5. I still haven't figured which files are now duplicated on card so I can delete them out of RAM, but all the remaining files in RAM are relatively small, so it's not a big deal, but it would be interesting to remove all the duplications (card vs. RAM)

6. Desktop hotsync is a bit slower.

Sorry if this is all confusing. It took me a while to figure out what to do and I was surprised that it did work. I hope it sticks.
    download the AvantGo Beta. They have a version that does not require the PC and works very well with SD Cards. I just set it up and don't need PowerRun or ZLauncher to move the app to the card. The main AvantGo app stays in the main memory, but all the bulky data along with the db are in the SD Card..
    The application takes 1120K on my Treo 650 main memory, and the databases take 2.6 MB on my SD Card.

Best part... I can sync. wirelessly.
    Treo 650.. the best smart phone there is.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ranjeetsodhi
    download the AvantGo Beta. They have a version that does not require the PC and works very well with SD Cards. I just set it up and don't need PowerRun or ZLauncher to move the app to the card. The main AvantGo app stays in the main memory, but all the bulky data along with the db are in the SD Card..
    The application takes 1120K on my Treo 650 main memory, and the databases take 2.6 MB on my SD Card.

Best part... I can sync. wirelessly.
    Where does one download the AvantGo beta from? All I see on their site is version 5.7 build 35. Is that the latest or is there a newer beta?
    Quote Originally Posted by elysian9
    Just got it to desktop hotsync with it on card. Thanks to all for their help.
    I followed all of your steps (more or less) and found the following.

The files are all on my card at /Palm/programs/AvantGo/

I had to create a short cut (using ZLancher) to be able to map the AvantGo.prc to a hard button or a favorites button.

When I keep the "Refresh all Content" checked it automatically refreshes the screens as I enter them - this slows things down a bit but I always have the latest.

I turned off the desktop sync.

Thanks for your help!!
    Visor Deluxe/Visor Platinum/Visor Phone/Treo 180/Treo 270/Treo 300/Treo 650
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast