Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Here is what I did, i downloaded the most recent version and installed on Palm internal memory as if i was going to run it from memory. I used poerrun 1.3 to move it to SD and it works just fine from there. I do not hotsync avantgo with desktop i use wireless sync for avantgo.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    Where does one download the AvantGo beta from? All I see on their site is version 5.7 build 35. Is that the latest or is there a newer beta?
    FYI, the beta version ended for version 5.7 on December 16th and 5.7 build 35 IS the former beta now in release, so there is no new beta currently, just the production build...

Errr, make that build 27 being current (I think)
    Last edited by cschmelz; 12/31/2004 at 11:58 AM.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    I downloaded that version and installed it, but when I go to Options: About AvantGo on the Treo itself, it reports "5.7 build 26"

Is that what you guys get? Or should I download and install again?
    What exactly are people using AG for? Seems like their content is readily available from other sources.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    What exactly are people using AG for? Seems like their content is readily available from other sources.
    With my daily desktop sync, AvantGo automatically refreshes these channels. Some are AvantGo-specific (ie: tailored for a PDA screen) some are "homebrew":

AccuWeather
    My Amazon.com Wishlist (when out shopping this is a great reference!)
    CNet News.com
    ComputerUser.com
    Computerworld
    JWire Hotspot Locator
    Mac Observer Mobile Edition
    NYT Business
    NYT Front Page
    NYT Technology
    NYT Latest News
    Palm Infocenter.com
    Rolling Stone
    PC World.com
    PowerBook Central
    Salon
    TidBITS
    TV Guide Online
    USA Today
    Variety.com
    Wired News

What I like about AvantGo is that it is great for fast reading... I don't need to connect anywhere and download new pages. Sometimes I don't have good cell signal or even have the 20 seconds of patience to surf/download new pages. AvantGo is always ready with at least 5-10 minutes of reading material, preloaded and easy to navigate. I'll usually start with AvantGo and if I'm still bored, then I'll use Blazer and go out into the great wild Internet.
    “Avantgo Wireless v5.7 build 35”. Download version just for wireless PDA’s (no desktop version wanted as it was softreseting my Treo during Sync!) and install “mobilelink (AGConnect)” on main memory and “avantgo (AvantGo)” & “libsmal (conduit)” on SD card. I read on Avantgo's website that all the files need to be in the Treo's main memory. Not true...If you do what I posted here...it allows you to store most of the files and data on the SD card. So far I have not had any issues after setting up like this and I no longer have long PC to Treo syncs! I just sync the Treo wirelessly...set it down...and check back in 5 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Stool
    “Avantgo Wireless v5.7 build 35”. Download version just for wireless PDA’s (no desktop version wanted as it was softreseting my Treo during Sync!) and install “mobilelink (AGConnect)” on main memory and “avantgo (AvantGo)” & “libsmal (conduit)” on SD card. I read on Avantgo's website that all the files need to be in the Treo's main memory. Not true...If you do what I posted here...it allows you to store most of the files and data on the SD card. So far I have not had any issues after setting up like this and I no longer have long PC to Treo syncs! I just sync the Treo wirelessly...set it down...and check back in 5 minutes.
    Please be a little more specific how you did this moving and such. your described method doesnt work for me. Am I missing something?
    Thanks
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Please be more specific on the setup.

Can you dl it OTA to your Treo?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Stool
    Thanks for the pointer... I got build 35. (Looks like they haven't updated the .sit file, that's still the older build, and that's what I kept getting.)

PC to Treo syncs have always been very fast for me, even with all the channels I listed above. (30 seconds, at most.) I use MAL Conduit on OS X with Mark/Space's Missing Sync. I do a desktop sync to refresh AvantGo most of the time, but also like the convenience of wireless sync every now and then when I've forgotten to sync at home and I'm on the road with nothing to read.

Does your method of moving some files to the SD card *prevent* desktop syncs entirely (with wireless syncing being your only option?) Or does it *speed up* desktop sync? I couldn't tell from your post.
    Last edited by Fofer; 01/01/2005 at 07:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by elysian9
    Just got it to desktop hotsync with it on card. Thanks to all for their help.

1. moved avantgo.prc to palm/launcher folder (not with PRPRPR $or$ $ZL$)

2. Delete AGdocsNA from RAM. This can be a huge file, where all the updated channels data is stored (in RAM). On my Treo it’s 1MB (and that is not much.) Together with the avantgo.prc there is nearly 2MB squeezed out of RAM. Moving these to card is significant. The file is recreated on card after wirelessly syncing after…

3. In AG Options/server prefs/settings, select use card. This will create an Avantgo folder in the Palm/Programs folder where all the channels will sync and be stored to (I think). I also selected "refresh all content," which prompted me to sync, asked for my password, etc. Worked fine. Then I de-selected it and did a “Sync this Server.” The order here may be a bit turned around, but it probably doesn’t matter. (There is a bug here, pointed out above somewhere, that the "Server" setting will not stay where you put it. In my case, the two choices are "New Server" and "Avantgo." I needed "Avantgo" to make this whole thing work, but the "Server" setting always defaults to "New Server," which will not allow you to select “use card.” But if you leave it all alone after setting it to "Avantgo" it seems to be okay, at least for them moment. We'll see....)

4. BTW, regarding AGConnect (the server preference option dialog is called Ag Connect, but the AGConnect.prc file has disappeared from my device. Seems in the new beta it’s handled differently, or when “using card” it is handled differently. However, it stills shows up as a launchable app in any launcher. I think this has also been mentioned somewhere. Who knows?

5. I still haven't figured which files are now duplicated on card so I can delete them out of RAM, but all the remaining files in RAM are relatively small, so it's not a big deal, but it would be interesting to remove all the duplications (card vs. RAM)

6. Desktop hotsync is a bit slower.

Sorry if this is all confusing. It took me a while to figure out what to do and I was surprised that it did work. I hope it sticks.
    Thanks, ELysian9. I tried everything to get Avantgo to sync to my card. The trick is the name of the card - my card had no name. As soon as I gave my new 1gb card a name "gigabyte" (clever?) it worked! (I used my card reader and named the card on my computer - anyone know if it can be named on the Treo?)
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Levyesq
    Thanks, ELysian9. I tried everything to get Avantgo to sync to my card. The trick is the name of the card - my card had no name. As soon as I gave my new 1gb card a name "gigabyte" (clever?) it worked! (I used my card reader and named the card on my computer - anyone know if it can be named on the Treo?)
    Indeed, once I named my card "treo sd" I was able to select it in AvantGo's server prefs, but it still doesn't seem to every SAVE anything to the card itself on a desktop sync, and when I go back to those prefs later, that checkbox is always unchecked again.
    Mine now puts an Avantgo folder under "programs" on the sd card, and I don't have the server select problem. Fofer, do you have the latest version of the software? Mine is 5.7 build 35.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    Indeed, once I named my card "treo sd" I was able to select it in AvantGo's server prefs, but it still doesn't seem to every SAVE anything to the card itself on a desktop sync, and when I go back to those prefs later, that checkbox is always unchecked again.
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    yeah I updated yesterday to 5.7 build 35. Hmm. I wonder if the space between "treo" and "sd" in the name of my card is confusing things. (Then again I'd hate to rename it now if that would screw my other apps up.)

It could also have something to do with the fact that I am using MAL Conduit (OS X) and not the official AvantGo conduit to sync. I'll email that developer and see what he has to say about SD card support.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    In addition to things mentioned above, AG also works great for things like plane rides where you want a lot of reading material but have no connectivity.
    Hello,

After reading this thread, I downloaded AvantGo to my 650. One thing I have noticed is a reset when I am browing USA Today -- if I scroll down while reading USA Today (it doesn't matter which section), then Treo resets/reboots. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Or know of what might be causing this?

Thanks!
    After setting avantgo to use my sd card, syncing takes a LOT longer. Probably close to 5 minutes. Is anyone else having this problem or am I doing something wrong?
    I had the same problem D1. I stopped using the card for that reason. It's a bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by d1sturbd
    After setting avantgo to use my sd card, syncing takes a LOT longer. Probably close to 5 minutes. Is anyone else having this problem or am I doing something wrong?
    What type of sync are you doing? Desktop or wireless? I have AG on my SD card and I haven't noticed any difference in wireless sync times. I stopped using desktop syncing over a year ago, so I can't talk to any differences there.
    I have noticed an intense difference in sync times. Probably around 10x longer.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Agreed-- Using desktop sync, it takes much longer. Too bad there's not a way to temporarily sync to internal memory and then create a batch process to copy the files onto the card after they are all downloaded.

I don't like wireless sync because I have to remember to deliberately do it, and often I am in transit to the subway when I think of it, which takes less than the 5 minutes.

...It was just so much faster syncing to internal memory.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast