1.    #1  
    Dear all,

Is there anyone out there with any success (As in connect and download some MP3 and Word Docs and stuff like that) with this software, WiFile?

I would also like users with routers on their PCs to kindly give some feedback on WiFile.

Thanks all and god bless.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I did get WiFile set up and working. (We also use a router.) To get it working I also had to set up VPN (Virtual Private Networking?) on both the Treo and on Windows XP. I had some issues with configuration, but got it working after some email support from one or both of the WiFile or VPN software guys.

This was all under the time limited trial version so I did not get much of a chance to evaluate or get a feel for the product(s), considering most of the time was spent figuring out how to configure it.

Once it was set up, it was easy to browse my shared files. However the first thing I tried to transfer was an mp3 -- this worked as expected, BUT, it took a LONG time (5+ minutes) AND I could not use my Treo for anything else while it was downloading.

I could see this program being a life saver if you needed to get at one of your Word/Excel documents at home, etc. At some point I would like to purchase both the VPN and the WiFile software, but it's pricy considering the speed limitations of the current hardware, so I will live without it for the time being.

Here's a more promising alternative for your mp3 files:
    http://www.gloolabs.com/gloonet.html

GlooLabs is launching its first implementation of the GlooNet technology in partnership with Normsoft, developer of the award winning Pocket Tunes Deluxe application for Palm Powered handhelds and smartphones. The GlooNet powered service allows mobile users to navigate and listen to their home music collection using a browser configured with Pocket Tunes. The selected music can be streamed to any Palm Powered smart mobile devices connected via WiFi hotspot or mobile data services. GlooNet turns a standard handheld device into a wireless MP3 player. Users can access their entire music collection wherever they are, without requiring significant memory on their Palm Powered smartphone or wireless handheld. The service automatically transcodes music files stored on the home computer to an appropriate rate based on the available bandwidth. The service, to be released in Q4 of 2004, will be hosted by NormSoft and powered by GlooLabs.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    BTW let me know if you have any specific questions about setting up WiFile. I will try my best to help you out.
  4.    #4  
    Hey...thanks pal.

There is the part about entering my server name in the field in WiFile.

But I entered my IP add, I just cannot connect. I learnt somewhere that I will have to open up a few ports on my router before WiIFle will be able to connect. So how should I go about opening it up?

I have even read that I should key in the IP add of my router instead of my com becuase my internet connection came from there. Where can I find that then?

Is there any VPN software on comupters that's freeware?

Once again, thanks.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lure_Angler
    Hey...thanks pal.

There is the part about entering my server name in the field in WiFile.

But I entered my IP add, I just cannot connect. I learnt somewhere that I will have to open up a few ports on my router before WiIFle will be able to connect. So how should I go about opening it up?

I have even read that I should key in the IP add of my router instead of my com becuase my internet connection came from there. Where can I find that then?

Is there any VPN software on comupters that's freeware?

Once again, thanks.
    You're on the right track with what you've read -- you correctly identified what you need to do to get it to connect.

Unfortunately, the way you configure each router is specific to that router. So, I will describe how I set mine up to give you an idea, but you'll have to check out the manual from your router manufacturer and adapt it to that. BTW I have a D-Link DI-704P.

My router hosts a web page for configuration over the network. I get to it by just opening up a browser window and loading "http://192.168.0.1/". I put in my password, and then I get a page of information about the router status and a menu. The router's IP address is displayed on this page.

Then, from the menu I choose "Advanced > Virtual Server". This is the page for opening up ports. On this page I enter the IP address of the computer whose port I want to open up to incoming traffic, and I enter which port it is I want to open up. (I do not know off hand which port WiFile needs -- maybe you know this already though?) Then I press the buttons on the same screen to save the changes and reboot the router.

I had Windows XP which apparently comes with VPN server software built in. I do not know whether or not other versions of Windows have this also. What version do you have? But in addition to the VPN server software running on your computer, you will also need VPN client software on your Treo. I used a trial evaluation version of Mergic VPN (not free).

I forget what I had to do to set up the VPN on Windows XP. I think it was pretty easy, but I will step through the process again and post what I find out. The issue I had came in at this point, where I was trying to connect through VPN. I'll try to bring up the details on all that as well.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Well, Google turned this up... it's the guide I used:

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networ...vpn_server.htm

Note that in step 14, you would probably set it to "Assign TCP/IP addresses automatically using DHCP" rather than "" as they have shown. At least I did.

I think I lost the technical support emails regarding the issue I had, when my hard drive got fried a while ago. But hopefully everything will connect just fine after you have gone through this set up and we won't need them anyway.

Keep us updated on your success or failure! I'm interested to see what you think of the product(s).
  7.    #7  
    Ok erm, I tried the setup you mentioned. I have a good feeling about it as I can see a new connection being setup on My Network Connections.

I think the problem now is with my router. I 'll just have to find out how to open up ports on my router. Now where did I put that manual....

My router is a Broadband Router for xDSL/Cable Modem by ST Lab.....sigh....routers are so troublesome.

Anyway, thanks again. At least I know what is the problem now.