1.    #1  
    Last night I seem to have ruined a 512K Sandisk card with my new Treo 650. I was using the built-in camera software to organize albums. It was taking an unreasonable time to merge two albums and it seemed as though the Treo had hung up. I manually ejected the card and it brought the Treo back to life. I tried to merge the albums again and it hung up again. I then ejected the card, the Treo came back to life, but when I inserted the card, it asked to format it. The card was then unreadable.

I understand that I shouldn't have ejected the card when it may have been being written to, but what I don't understand is why the card seems to be permanently damaged. No matter what I put the card into (camera, pda, computer) it cannot be formatted without receiving an error.

I've tried a few shareware apps that claim to be able to repair SD cards, but to no avail.

I'm hoping to be able to get another card and rebuild the information, but I'm not sure I have everything that was on the card backed-up on my computer.

My questions are:

Does HotSnych back-up the card using OSX on the Mac?

Is it typical that a card can become permanently damaged from a "premature ejection?"

Is there any way to recover the card?

Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krispy
    I understand that I shouldn't have ejected the card when it may have been being written to, but what I don't understand is why the card seems to be permanently damaged.
    You've pretty much answered your own question.

It is very possible that the card was still being written to at time you took it out. You didnt eject it once, but twice. You were fortunate that it didnt become damaged the 1st time you did it.

I dont know of a program that would make that card usable again; maybe someone here knows. If there isnt a way to recover the card, its toast.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    The card should not go bad reardless if you eject it or not. send the card back to the manufacturer and you should get a new one.

I've had many SD cards over the years used in Ipaqs, treos, camera's... and none have had this problem. I eject them on the fly, sometimes doing it when the device gets hung like in your case. Often the ejection will interrupt the hung application. I suspect that the card is bad. If it happens again with another card then the Treo is lkely bad.

Nate