Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    As long as we are resurrecting this thread, count me among the "random on" crowd. Both screen and KB come on. I am clearly not roaming and seem to have 2 "bars" reception, minimum. It is not reseting at these times.

My phone is a locked (blue) Cingular version. I'm using the notorious Gemplus SIM. Apart from the well documented VersaMail reset issue, my 650 seems ok. (If less usable memory and the occasional lock up or unresponsive key are ok, but I digress )

I must admit I don't think I've ever noticed this when I have "4 bars" reception though...

I'm a Physician, and then try to use the phone to call the hospital or patient or office, and have no battery left.-bmeskin
    bmeskin-go to prefs->power and set to autooff after 1 minute--or 30 sec if needed. I'm assuming your random on is relatively infrequent like mine. This will preserve the battery power and is a frequently quoted work around.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    The Treo 270 would do this when there was a pending SMS message waiting to be sent. (It can be easy to have a blank pending SMS message in the Pending folder if the app is started accidently.) Delete any pending SMS msgs.

I'm supposed to get my 650 today.
    I have TWO Treo 650's, Cingular (GSM). They BOTH have the random on problem. I have hard reset one, and it still happens. I have talked to both Cingular and P1, and they both say the same thing...must be a "bad batch" of phones and I should return them and swap them out. Sounds like a system-wide problem; Sprint CDMA, Unlocked GSM w/T-Mobile, Cingular GSM, etc.

Interestingly enough, with all of these posts, you'd think that P1 would ADMIT they have a problem; their tech guys just acted like I must be some loser who's never had a palm before (Treo 650 is my 4th generation).

BTW, I don't have versamail checking email automatically, I have no 3rd party apps installed (post-hard reset), I have no SMS message ready to be sent, and it happens no matter how many 'bars' the phone has.

Sigh.
    My Sprint 650 blips on every day at 3 & 3:15 AM. I believe its checking the SPCS network for mssgs since one of the 3:15 'blips' returned a service mssg.
    This may not solve the problem for everyone, but it worked for me. I was having the exact same problem -- my screen turning on randomly throughout the day for no apparent reason. Eventually I concluded that it was related to the "enable network time" problem (there is a whole thread on this), and since I have disabled that, the problem has been fixed (going on several weeks now).

I think what was happening, is that every time the phone would have to search for a phone signal (I work in a big building with weak Sprint signals), it was unable to locate a network time, and somehow (due to the crazy network-time bug) this caused a type of soft-reset causing the screen to come on. At any rate, I have not had the problem at all since I disabled the network time thing. My phone still has to search/roam for signals during the day, but no more screen lighting up.
    I have the "enable network time" option turned off. I just started seeing this problem when I changed from a 32K Gem SIM card to a 64K Axalto card.

As I was typing this post, my Treo 650 turned on. There was some sort of cellphone access that made the phone turn on because I could hear static interference with my landline from the cell service. My cell service at my home office is weak so the "auto turn-on" problem could be related to roaming.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I have it too.
    If I throw a stick, will you go away?
    This is still happening, randomly. Anyone have any ideas? For me, it doesn't seem related to SD card or what program I last used. Screen just pops up and on. Very annoying.
    I have noticed that if the phone is off, the screen and keyboard no longer randomly come on. I turn on the phone and I get the random power on again. My guess is it is looking for a stronger signal.
    I think every T650 will turn on...actually my T600 and T650 would turn on almost at the same time sitting next to each other...

I believe it has to do with the way Palm OS talks to the radio...
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    I guess no answers for this problem yet.... I have a Cingular Treo650 with the A SIM card, no Network Enabled Time, no SMS or Versamail enabled, and I am getting this random turn on issue. If this is of any help, for me this problem seems to happen when the phone is sitting on my desk close to my computer monitor. I have seen that when the monitor starts to flicker, the phone turns on within a sec or two. I had never seen the monitor flicker this way until I got this phone. When the phone is not close to the monitor it seems like it does not turn on that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by mambo
    I have seen that when the monitor starts to flicker, the phone turns on within a sec or two. I had never seen the monitor flicker this way until I got this phone. When the phone is not close to the monitor it seems like it does not turn on that much.
    Sure sounds like the phone is transmitting something like it's trying to find the network. My SPCS 650 turns on randomly whenever I'm in a low or no signal environment.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    I noticed this once I upgraded Verichat last week.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    Sure sounds like the phone is transmitting something like it's trying to find the network. My SPCS 650 turns on randomly whenever I'm in a low or no signal environment.
    Same here...plus I have verichat with always on. I figure it's more of a network related issue than anything else.
    I am on my third phone from Cingular and they all do this random wake up thing. No 3rd party applications at all. ANNOYING to say the least. Drains the battery. I have also noticed it happens with changes in signal. Besides this, my versamail crashes whenever I "update" a contact. The next and most importantly, the phone itself is most erratic and does not connect nor receive calls. When I answer, no-one is on the other end.

Palm has stated my "firmware" is damaged, and I am due to ship it off for another tomorrow. I had a NOKIA smart phone for 2 years and never ONE problem.

I sincerely hope the 4th unit from Palm is stable and PAIN FREE. CAN YOU BELEIVE THIS !
    Ok we need to revisit this issue. I have had this problem for 2-3 months although I have had the phone since January 05 and have even replaced it and still have the problem. At midnight every night no mater what timezone I am in or cignal strength the phone resets.
    My 650 has started doing this after a hard reset + custom ROM (see below in my signature). Before the HR/Custom ROM, it NEVER did it.
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I recently did a hard reset and my 650 now has random screen turn on syndrome too. Anyone isolate this yet and care to share?

I turned my radio off and it still did it.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    bump.

Anyone? this really annoying!
    Since upgrading to the latest FW/SW I have not seen this behavior.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast