1.    #1  
    Anyone who has used this software... I installed the producer and player today. My goal was to test conversion of a DVD to Kinoma format. I'm unable to accomplish this. Anyone know what additional software is needed and how to do it? I use software to copy and then compress files for use with MMPlayer, but was hoping Kinoma would be an "all in one" process, though I'm getting the feeling it's not...
    Kinoma can convert quite a range of different formats but won't extract and de-encrypt from a DVD. You'll need a different application to do that portion and then have Kinoma convert that into movie for your palm.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by scotttreo
    Kinoma can convert quite a range of different formats but won't extract and de-encrypt from a DVD. You'll need a different application to do that portion and then have Kinoma convert that into movie for your palm.
    Thanks for the info. I already have software to extract and then convert, but was hoping for something with a more friendly all-in-one interface. The end result of the two apps I use on my Mac are a .avi file which is pretty small and I just copy to the SD card and view with MMPlayer. I was hoping Kinoma might be more streamlined for my needs, but it sounds like it's not.
    You do a a few choices of output with Kinoma and can actually play and check the video directly on your mac. Most of the VAI formats don't allow checking on the Mac. You can also convert a wide range of input formats, not limited to DVD VOB files.
  5.    #5  
    Scott, what process do you use for converting DVD or other videos with Mac? I have tried MacTheRipper & D-Vision, then tried HandBrake yesterday (kept getting weird encoding error...). What do you recommend for reliable and fast conversion of DVD?
    I've used both MacTheRipper and HandBrake with success.
    I've tried disks with multiple episodes and the like so first I check it in a the Mac DVD player just to note the title # (and possibly chapter #)
    Then use the DVD program to extract just that episode/title.
    For MMPlayer I was using MacTheRipper and then D-Vision
    Now i'm using HandBrake and Kinoma producer.

Your problem may be you're trying to convert a menu type of track or your disk maybe dirty. Try a different disk or title #.
    I've used both MacTheRipper and HandBrake with success.
    I've tried disks with multiple episodes and the like so first I check it in a the Mac DVD player just to note the title # (and possibly chapter #)
    Then use the DVD program to extract just that episode/title.
    For MMPlayer I was using MacTheRipper and then D-Vision
    Now i'm using HandBrake and Kinoma producer.

#.
    I tried using Handbrake to rip a DVD - this seems to work fine as I can
    view the resulting mp4 file in Quicktime on my iMac. I then used Kinoma
    Producer to encode the big mp4 into a smaller mp4 file to put onto
    my Treo 650. Note that so far I am only using a trial version of Producer.
    This small mp4 file also plays fine in Quicktime on my iMac. I then copied the small mp4 file onto my SD card, put the card into my
    Treo, launched MMPlayer (also a trial version) and then tried to play
    the small mp4 file. The Treo immediately rebooted. What gives?
    I don't think MMPlayer supports standard MPEG 4 or at least not the type put out by producer. It normally deals with divx in avi wrapper.
    I don't think MMPlayer supports standard MPEG 4 or at least not the type put out by producer. It normally deals with divx in avi wrapper.
    Yes you are right about MMPlayer - I figured this out and went to try
    Kinoma Player EX to play the mp4 file on my Treo but got a bad reg key. Have to wait till tomorrow to get customer support to fix this.