Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Yesterday i installed the latest version of backupman to my 650 after being told it was supported. I backed up to an SD card and then tried to restore from the backup. Everything restored, except there was an error of some sort that occurred in restoring the contact info. I looked into my contact folder, and all the info was gone! I tried to resync with outlook, since my outlook has all of the contacts and set palm desktop so that the desktop would override handheld. Didn't work. Still no contacts. I tried a hard reset and then another sync from the desktop. Same problem, the contacts aren't being moved over. Can someone help???
    I had the exact same thing happen (for ALL my PIM data) using BackupMan. It would restore everything EXCEPT the four PIM databases.

Fortunately I had PocketMirror Professional XT on my PC (I sync with Outlook instead of the Palm Desktop) and it worked when I told it to overwrite my handheld's Outlook data.
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 12/04/2004 at 07:56 AM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I bought pocket mirror xt to deal with this
    how similar or different is PocketMirror XT from the old PocketMirror?

1. is the user still limited to choosing EITHER catagories OR subfolders in outlook?

2. can a user have both catagories and subfolders sync'd with the T650?

3. is there still an upper limit of 15 catagories OR subfolders that one can sync with?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by finkkatz
    Yesterday i installed the latest version of backupman to my 650 after being told it was supported. I backed up to an SD card and then tried to restore from the backup. Everything restored, except there was an error of some sort that occurred in restoring the contact info. I looked into my contact folder, and all the info was gone! I tried to resync with outlook, since my outlook has all of the contacts and set palm desktop so that the desktop would override handheld. Didn't work. Still no contacts. I tried a hard reset and then another sync from the desktop. Same problem, the contacts aren't being moved over. Can someone help???
    Please let us know if you're able to get any help from tech support. This is a horrible bug-- there must be some way to fix it other than by purchasing expensive software for basic functionality.
    I've looked at Pocket Mirror XT but I don't see what it does that my 650 doesn't do right out of the box. I use Exchange for calendar info but just the normal Hotsync for the rest of my Outlook data. Could someone tell me the advantage of Pocket Mirror? Thanks
  7.    #7  
    I have sumitted a bug assistance request to the manufacturer. If I learn of a patch, i'll post it. in the meantime I warn you all not to use backup man on your 650s
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by neill
    Please let us know if you're able to get any help from tech support. This is a horrible bug-- there must be some way to fix it other than by purchasing expensive software for basic functionality.
    I heard back from the developers. These guys are the most unhelpful and seemingly unconcerned bunch that I've encountered to date. They simply responded, "Please see our website for information on the Treo 650." In fact, I can't find anything on their website referencing the 650, and in any event I have their most updated version and it clearly is buggy. Doubt these characters will do anything given their response. Beware.
    BUMP. The same GD thing happened to me! NO backup software backs up your pims! I tried Chapura Pocketmirror but i get some error message & cannot sync with it at all. I'm am so pissed! This is ridiculous for real! I'm stuck. I am going to have to re enter all data one by one but it still won't sync to my friggin treo!
    isn't this an example of thinking too deep into something that is not a problem? if you have the data in Outlook, the Palm Desktop or some other PIM, then a regular HotSync backs-up your info in two places. One on your PC/Laptop and one on your Treo. I like many had to replace my first Treo and a regular HotSync put everything whhere it belonged on the new Treo in 1 minute.

If your PIM data is on Exchange or some other Network host, your contacts and calendar data is likely also backed up by tape or some other media.

What is compelling people to back-up to an SD card? Are we switching devices every other day? Sorry, I just don't get it.
    I back up to an SD card because not all the programs I install will reinstall upon hotsync after the 600 I own takes a dive. After having traded in my 600 3x, the SD back-up has been indespensible for me. My latest 600 died yesterday and my next will be restored by a simple insertion of my SD card and "presto-chango" 600 up and running.

Now, my 650 comes in the mail on Thursday. I need to make sure that I have a working back-up program.
    Last week my contacts did a vanishing act. I couldnt locate them anywhere. I went into the backup folder on the PC, selected the contacts from there and used PilotInstall instead of doing a complete hotsync. Worked fine. I haveall my contacts back. If I am not mistaken, I think BackupBuddy was the culprit.

BTW, this occured on a 600, so I dont think it had anything to do with the device, considering this thread was 650.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    If you travel and have to do a hard reset you can be running in minutes vs the next time you can get back to your laptop
    Quote Originally Posted by camartin
    If you travel and have to do a hard reset you can be running in minutes vs the next time you can get back to your laptop
    This is the point the original poster was making, he did back up to a card and did his restore from the card. His contacts didnt restore like they should have.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    thank you scandalex. well i did find them again. they were only backed up as the "PDat". but i still CANNOT sync them to my pcs. it alwyas times out when it gets to contacts...
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    thank you scandalex. well i did find them again. they were only backed up as the "PDat". but i still CANNOT sync them to my pcs. it alwyas times out when it gets to contacts...
    You ARE using the XT version of PocketMirror, correct? The non-XT version isn't designed to work with the Treo 650's new PIM databases.

When I originally tried to do a restore with BackupMan, it trashed my PIM databases on the Treo 650. I had a copy on my desktop in Outlook, so I just did a "Desktop overwrites Handheld" and got my information back.

I'm waiting until BackupMan is fully tested, stable, and released to work with the 650 before I attempt it again. By the way, I used BackupMan v1.52 Beta 5 (which was supposed to have support for the 650's new PIM data, but obviously, there are still problems). BackupMan v1.52b5 (now a public beta)

In the meantime, I'm making sure to sync frequently to keep my PIM data safe. For the most part, applications can be restored without too much fuss, but if I actually LOSE my PIM data (thousands of records), I'd be up the creek.

Is your data still in Outlook? If it is, then you shouldn't have to re-enter anything. It's just a matter of getting the Outlook conduits to work. Have you tried reinstalling the conduits?
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 12/05/2004 at 12:41 PM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Yes I tried reinstalling conduits. I tried so many things! I do have eveything backed up in Outlook BUT it will NOT sync with my treo. So if I enter any new contacts in treo I have to manually go in & enter it to my desktop. THis is quite annoying. I have tried everything from switching sync method back & forth from outlook to palm desktop & every conceivable combo adding pocket mirror xt. No luck yet! I'm gonna go burn down palmone!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget
    You ARE using the XT version of PocketMirror, correct? The non-XT version isn't designed to work with the Treo 650's new PIM databases.

When I originally tried to do a restore with BackupMan, it trashed my PIM databases on the Treo 650. I had a copy on my desktop in Outlook, so I just did a "Desktop overwrites Handheld" and got my information back.

I'm waiting until BackupMan is fully tested, stable, and released to work with the 650 before I attempt it again. By the way, I used BackupMan v1.52 Beta 5 (which was supposed to have support for the 650's new PIM data, but obviously, there are still problems). BackupMan v1.52b5 (now a public beta)

In the meantime, I'm making sure to sync frequently to keep my PIM data safe. For the most part, applications can be restored without too much fuss, but if I actually LOSE my PIM data (thousands of records), I'd be up the creek.

Is your data still in Outlook? If it is, then you shouldn't have to re-enter anything. It's just a matter of getting the Outlook conduits to work. Have you tried reinstalling the conduits?
    I am using the new backupman and it backs up fine.. but didn't try restoiring yet.

Insspector did you try restoring, and does it not restore the contacts?? I really relly on it and they have been working to make sure it works right but I don't want to test it myself right now....

It worked great for the 600...

Mike
    Beta 5 failed to restore my PIM databases. I got an error message (can't recall it now).

It backs up fine (seemingly). Just can't restore any if the PIM databases.

I won't try it again until I have a final (non-beta) version that the developer says works.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

try teal backup. it does not back up any "address book" database but does back up "contacts" database the treo 650 keeps both versions on hand, teal backup will only back up one. but one is all you need! but still NO SYNC TO PC!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast