Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I am finding that Mundu does disconnect with no warning and not reconnect as it should, like Peter said. I like the Mundu interface, but I don't think I will pay for a prog that doesn't stay connected. Also, many times when I first launch Mundu, it will stay on the "Initializing" screen for a long time. Twice now I have had to reboot the phone because it seemed to freeze up and not go anywhere.

I tried Causerie again, testing the BG mode, and so far, so good.

As for Chatopus, I don't really need anything fancy, but I do need AIM and Yahoo to work. I may test it, but if it doesn't work well with these 2, it won't be my purchase choice.
    I had the same problem with Mundu. I was also using WebMessenger and it wouldn't show all of the people that were actually online. Maybe I had a checkbox unchecked, but I couldn't figure it out. I'd hate for the person I really want to chat with to not ever show up. That'd be kind of pointless to pay for it then. For now, I don't have anything. Maybe someone can design a program similar to Verichat. They'd be really raking in the dough, I'm sure. I know I'd pay for it.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Hey, I've been using verichat with my 700p for a while, the 650 always on patched .prc file but just the other day it said my copy has expired...?? any help? orginally it said registered forever... I liked using my verichat for msn and aim.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kc5hwb View Post
    I am finding that Mundu does disconnect with no warning and not reconnect as it should, like Peter said. I like the Mundu interface, but I don't think I will pay for a prog that doesn't stay connected. Also, many times when I first launch Mundu, it will stay on the "Initializing" screen for a long time. Twice now I have had to reboot the phone because it seemed to freeze up and not go anywhere.

I tried Causerie again, testing the BG mode, and so far, so good.

As for Chatopus, I don't really need anything fancy, but I do need AIM and Yahoo to work. I may test it, but if it doesn't work well with these 2, it won't be my purchase choice.
    Chatopus works great with AIM and Yahoo. If you decide to try it pm me and I'll send you the servers and gateways/transports I'm using.

FYI, just saw another thread that said Mundu 4 is out.
    Last edited by peterlemonjello; 03/13/2007 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Update
    Causerie’s Always ON feature allows you to receive messages always even when the device is in sleep mode, lost data connection, in long phone call or even after a soft reset when in background mode.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Chatopus works great with AIM and Yahoo. If you decide to try it pm me and I'll send you the servers and gateways/transports I'm using.

FYI, just saw another thread that said Mundu 4 is out.
    PM Sent

Quote Originally Posted by mantra support View Post
    Causerie’s Always ON feature allows you to receive messages always even when the device is in sleep mode, lost data connection, in long phone call or even after a soft reset when in background mode.
    Yea, but if you exit out of the screen to go use another program, when you come back, the previous msgs aren't there. I have chat logging enabled, but it saves them in a seperate file, not in the actual chat window.

MUNDU just keep disconnecting and won't reconnect. That is the most annoying thing.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    MUNDU 4 IS out. And assuming that you like MUNDU, this deal is a STEAL....

https://messenger.mundu.com/prd/php/palmos.php

$11, lifetime registration.
    Mundu 4 seems to be a pretty big improvement, but its not there yet. If you're interested in my issues with it, here's a list of the current issues I've found after using the trial for 10 minutes.

First of all I just wanted to say that version 4 is a huge step in the right direction. However, I do have a few small issues with it.

First, although the "MunduFileTransfer" option exists in my Treo's photos app, if I try to send a picture by clicking the file transfer button and then selecting photos/videos, nothing happens.

Secondly, there appears to be no way to receive files within Mundu, is this something that is planned in the future?

Third, its great to be able to send pdb, prc, and picture files, but what would be even better would be the possibility to send anything. An example of something which does this is Chatter, an email program, which can send any file off the SD card, Pictures/Videos, Sounds, Voice Memos, and files on the internal memory from documents to go.

Lastly, this is the most important issue I've noticed. While the 5-way support in the program is excellent, there is absolutely no support for keyboard shortcuts. On a device such as the Treo with a keyboard built in, keyboard shortcuts are essential because they make things much faster. For example, a shortcut for the chat tab, to show your list of tabs, would be great, as well as one for the contacts tab, one to close a window, one to login to other networks, one to logout/ quit, and maybe even one for buddy info. I'm sure there's more places that keyboard shortcuts would be useful, but I would say the ones I've mentioned are necessities, and I hope to see this implemented in the future. Until then, version 4 is a step in the right direction, but not all the way there yet.
    Still, at $11.00 it was worth it for me to buy and hope that they implement the changes you requested. There just isn't a viable replacement to VC out there anywhere...this comes the closest.
    Last edited by Christinac130; 03/14/2007 at 08:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I can see your point on the problems with v4, but in my case, I never use any of the features you are complaining about. The only thing I care about it having it STAY connected, being able to move users to new groups (which it still won't do) and having an ALWAYS ON mode.

I am still testing Mundu v4. I like it so far, but it has had a few dropped connections and the ALWAYS ON reconnect feature still doesn't work as well as Verichat, I think. But I will continue testing.

And yes for $11, I may just buy it anyway.
    I can see your point on the problems with v4, but in my case, I never use any of the features you are complaining about. The only thing I care about it having it STAY connected, being able to move users to new groups (which it still won't do) and having an ALWAYS ON mode.

I am still testing Mundu v4. I like it so far, but it has had a few dropped connections and the ALWAYS ON reconnect feature still doesn't work as well as Verichat, I think. But I will continue testing.

And yes for $11, I may just buy it anyway.
    Yes, you can move people around groups. If they aren't' already in that group... I have a bug where I have 4-5 of my contacts in multiple groups and when I try to move them it won't do it.

But anyway, tap and HOLD on the contact name for at least 5s. Yes, seriously, 5s. A context menu will pop up and it'll have "move" as an option.

Why they didn't put it in the menus, and why it takes five seconds is beyond me.
    kc5hwb: When Causerie is running in background mode and if you receive IM's
    a Screen will open with the messages and buttons GoTo, Close and Hide. From this Screen you can reply or tap on Causerie and tap on square button on upper right corner of the buddy list screen beside the exit button. Select the buddy
    to view the messages and reply. To enter in the background mode tap on yes button in Background Confirm Screen while moving to another application from causerie.
    I'm trying Mundu 4, and my biggest complaint is that it does not support offline messages for ICQ. A work-around is logging onto an ICQ gateway via Mundu 4's new support for Jabber.
    Also trialing Mundu 4. I notice that Mundu makes a data connection every 30-45 seconds! For us CDMA users, this is a killer. Not only do our calls not get through, but its killing my battery. Doesnt look like this can be tweaked. Also, the alert notifications are weak. No option to alert through LED, or a nagging alert. It would be nice if it could do this on its own or work through Butler. Just my 2 cents. Jeff
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Mantra,
    Thanks for the info. My main problem with Causerie is that you can't move users to other groups. And it seems to drop the connection very easily while running in the background.

khaytsus
    Thanks I will try that.

I have AIM and Yahoo running on Chatopus now, I got that setup thanks to peterlemonjello I am going to run that for a short while to see how it goes and I am still testing Mundu 4.

Here's a comparison update:
    Verichat - probably the best so far. "always on" mode that actually works. I don't like the fact that you can't move contact to other groups, and that it seperates your contacts into groups of its own. However, this one is no longer available.
    IM+ - As far as usability and looks go, I like this better than Verichat. "Always On" mode doesn't seem to work very well. You gotta love the 1-time fee on this one.
    Agile Messenger - Yahoo won't connect thru TMO Data plan. Tried installing 3 times, no go. AIM works ok, but without Yahoo I don't want it.
    Toccer - "always on" mode works great, no problems with connection. If it had more than AIM, I would install this one, delete all others and stop there.
    Yahoo! Messenger for Palm - NO "always on" mode and it crashes my Treo 650, causing an automatic reboot everytime I click on a contact's name. Installed 3 times to try and fix this, no go. FREE...but a FREE POS.
    Causerie - This one seems pretty stable. You can move contacts around to other groups, although it isn't listed in a menu anywhere, it does work by holding the stylus down on the contact's name for 5 seconds and choosing a new group. The "Always On" connection doesn't seem very stable and likes to drop on you at random.
    Mundu v4 A GREAT little program, new and available right now for a one-time fee of $11. The only complaint about this one so far is that the AIM connection keeps dropping and it doesn't reconnect automatically after it drops. Yahoo seems real stable though.
    Chatopus This one seems VERY stable, runs in the background and so far doesn't drop the connection at all. It is very basic though, no special features. And the interface is kinda ugly because it is mainly a JABBER client and all the other IM's must go thru a Jabber Gateway. But this seems to connect and stay connected fine.
    Last edited by kc5hwb; 03/14/2007 at 10:06 PM.
    Yo kc5hwb,

Might want to add to your review that Chatopus allows multiple active connections to the same IM provider. For example, log into AIM with 3 different userid's all at the same time. Mundu 4 can do this to using a Jabber connection and the correct gateways/transports. I'm not sure if any of the other products can do this or not.
    Re: Tap and Hold

Strange that some are seeing excessive pauses, this takes about 1.5-2.0 seconds on my Treo 650 (VZW).

Re: SMS messages

I don't see how Mundu could implement this without going to the dedicated server route. Mundu runs on your Palm. It has to get the message via the service server (AIM/MSM/ICQ/Jabber/....) via the internet. The only way Mundu could SMS would be receive the IM via the internet, then send an SMS to your Treo via some mechanism (an online SMS serice or your own phone service IM). But since the IM would already have to be on your Treo for this to happen, there is no point to it. And it certainly does not allow you to have no active connection and wait for an SMS to arrive.

Bug: Changing group on ICQ contact causes an ICQ server error. And the contact is then _gone_, not only on Mundu 4, but on the server as well (verified by accessing from other client, including ICQ desktop client). This is a bug carried over from the previous version.

It appears to me that the Mundu application has been updated, and that new transport protocols have been added. But the old transports (MSM, Yahoo, AIM and ICQ, appear to have been carried forward without major updates). I say this in that the ICQ groups bug, as well as lack of ICQ offline message support, both carry over from version 3.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LessPaul58 View Post
    I'm trying Mundu 4, and my biggest complaint is that it does not support offline messages for ICQ. A work-around is logging onto an ICQ gateway via Mundu 4's new support for Jabber.
    Thanks for that info, guitarman. Ive just been trying out Mundu for the first time, and was really puzzled that I couldn't work out how to send my ICQ messages offline. Im stunned that a program with such pretensions to greatness could have such a basic deficiency. Ive only used Verichat before, so I just took offline messaging for granted.

Is it a feature rare amongst Palm IM apps?

I think the $11 I'd put aside goes back into my pocket until further notice.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    kc5hwd: I am surprised that you are having problems with Causerie background mode. Causerie reconnects automatically incase it detects that the connection is down which happens occassionally after a long phone call. It reconnects after a soft reset. Just give it a min and it should reconnect.

If not, please provide me when it went offline so that we can get it sorted here. But we haven't seen any background problems yet.

Also, Causerie is the only app which supports two SMS way communication.

Thanks.

Mantra,
    Thanks for the info. My main problem with Causerie is that you can't move users to other groups. And it seems to drop the connection very easily while running in the background.

khaytsus
    Thanks I will try that.

I have AIM and Yahoo running on Chatopus now, I got that setup thanks to peterlemonjello I am going to run that for a short while to see how it goes and I am still testing Mundu 4.

Here's a comparison update:
    Verichat - probably the best so far. "always on" mode that actually works. I don't like the fact that you can't move contact to other groups, and that it seperates your contacts into groups of its own. However, this one is no longer available.
    IM+ - As far as usability and looks go, I like this better than Verichat. "Always On" mode doesn't seem to work very well. You gotta love the 1-time fee on this one.
    Agile Messenger - Yahoo won't connect thru TMO Data plan. Tried installing 3 times, no go. AIM works ok, but without Yahoo I don't want it.
    Toccer - "always on" mode works great, no problems with connection. If it had more than AIM, I would install this one, delete all others and stop there.
    Yahoo! Messenger for Palm - NO "always on" mode and it crashes my Treo 650, causing an automatic reboot everytime I click on a contact's name. Installed 3 times to try and fix this, no go. FREE...but a FREE POS.
    Causerie - This one seems pretty stable. You can move contacts around to other groups, although it isn't listed in a menu anywhere, it does work by holding the stylus down on the contact's name for 5 seconds and choosing a new group. The "Always On" connection doesn't seem very stable and likes to drop on you at random.
    Mundu v4 A GREAT little program, new and available right now for a one-time fee of $11. The only complaint about this one so far is that the AIM connection keeps dropping and it doesn't reconnect automatically after it drops. Yahoo seems real stable though.
    Chatopus This one seems VERY stable, runs in the background and so far doesn't drop the connection at all. It is very basic though, no special features. And the interface is kinda ugly because it is mainly a JABBER client and all the other IM's must go thru a Jabber Gateway. But this seems to connect and stay connected fine.
    Causerie-
    Are you saying I should never get the no red 'X' problem? That is the biggest problem I have with Causerie. The fact that it thinks it is connected sometimes when it isn't. Everytime when this happens the red 'X' in the upper right of the main screen has disappeared. Everytime exiting and restarting Causerie solves the problem

Other than that, I do not have any great connectivity problems.
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G