Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by geezy View Post
    has any1 tried im+ i use it on my t700 and its great so far..im on a trial..i guess it was for a number of smartphones..but dosent fully support the t700..the only bad thing about it on the t700 is the 5 way nave dosent work.other than that i have had no probs..no lag no resets.

www.shapeservices.com
    I am using it on my Treo 680 and the background mode is buggy even with the latest version 2.7 which supports the Dpad quite welll. Error message is "MemoryMgr.c, Line:3035, Chunk over-locked"
    Hope the developers can fix it soon, otherwise it is a good app as it is only a one time fee and supports multiple systems including Google Talk
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I like the IM+ app, but it doesn't stay connected all the time like Verichat does. I dont' like the yearly payment for Verichat, but so far it is the only one that will stay connected even when you go use another app.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Here is what I have learned from using many IM programs:

Verichat - probably the best so far. "always on" mode that actually works. I don't like the fact that you can't move contact to other groups, and that it seperates your contacts into groups of its own.
    IM+ - As far as usability and looks go, I like this better than Verichat, but it doesn't seem to have an "always on" mode or it doesn't work very well if it does. You gotta love the 1-time fee on this one.
    Agile Messenger - Yahoo won't connect thru TMO Data plan. Tried installing 3 times, no go. AIM works ok, but without Yahoo I don't want it. FREE
    Toccer - "always on" mode works great, no problems with connection. If it had more than AIM, I would install this one, delete all others and stop there.
    Yahoo! Messenger for Palm - NO "always on" mode and it crashes my Treo 650, causing an automatic reboot everytime I click on a contact's name. Installed 3 times to try and fix this, no go. FREE...but a FREE POS.
    Causerie - Haven't tried it, just downloaded the trial, we'll see what happens. Annual fee blows, though.
    Verichat had an annual fee...if Causerie is as good as VC, it might be worth it. I liked the way Verichat worked, but it crashed my 650 daily. I didn't even load it on my 680 since it was already announced as "over".
    IM+ does have a Background mode. It does not require an annual fee. However it does cause the Treo680 to crash everynow and then so it is buggy
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    i love my copy of im+. i wish there was an away msg that i can set.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    VC, Causerie and IM+ never caused my T650 to crash.

Where is the background mode on IM+ ?

The other thing I didn't like about IM+ is that is authenticates thru port 80. I am on Tzones on the $5.99 TMO plan, so if the Tzones connection ever goes down again like it did a couple of weeks ago, IM+ will not connect. I never had this problem with VC because it only used the AIM/Yahoo/MSN specific ports. But for some reason IM+ authenticates your login to their servers thru port 80 and will not let you set a proxy, so if Tzones ever messes up, it wont' work at all.
    What about Chatopus or Mundu? Chatopus is difficult to setup if you've never used jabber but rock solid once it's setup.

Mundu caused some resets on my 700p but I've read a lot of favorable reviews from others. One of the biggest disadvantages of Mundu is limited notification options.

Both available for a one time fee.
    I love Mundu. I really didn't want to use a program that has an annual fee. You're right about the limited notification options, but I can live with that if I don't have to pay every year.
    ~Jessi~

Handspring Visor > Handspring Visor Edge - Silver > Handspring Treo 90 > Palm Tungsten T3 > Palm Treo 680 - Arctic
    Please explain limited notification options.
    It has popup, vibrate, and audio.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I have not tried Chatopus or Mundu (never heard of Mundu) but I read some unfavorable reviews about Chatopus at one point...can't remember where.

Here is one thing that I do not like about VC, IM+ OR Causerie...
    HOW DO YOU MOVE CONTACTS TO OTHER GROUPS???
    When I first started using VC, I emailed them about how to do this and the replied that I couldn't do it, but it should be available in their next release. But apparently that never happened and never will.

I can't stand the fact that on AIM, it creates weird groups named "buddies" or "mobile device" or some such and I cannot move the contacts to other groups where I have them set on Trillian.

What really need to happen is Trillian needs to make a version for PALM.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I was mistaken about Chatopus. I didn't read an unfavorable review on it, but it appeared that it wasn't really made for AIM/Yahoo and was more a just a Jabber chat program.
    Quote Originally Posted by mantra support View Post
    ronbo2000: You can download the trial version from our web site
    and if you experience any issue please send an email to support@mantragroup.com.

bokaplan: Causerie will work on Treo 680. YOu can download the trial
    version and check.

fkjr2: The lag comes from the 700p database issues [palmOne] and the only way to avoid it is to disable the archiving.
    Mantra burned me long time ago. I purchased an app from them that was unstable back when I had my treo 600 then went to the 650 and they promised updates and none ever came and finally was told we won't support the 650. Same product will not work on the 700p either and no hope of support for that either. So wasted money. I got poorer they got richer and gained a very unloyal customer in return.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Well, Causerie works on the T650. I think that I am liking Mundu better, but Causerie definately worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by kc5hwb View Post
    VC, Causerie and IM+ never caused my T650 to crash.

Where is the background mode on IM+ ?
    IM+ doesn't crash so much if the Background mode is not enabled. The Background mode checkbox is under the Menu - Options/Preferences
    I am using version 2.7
    Shape Services claims the problem lies with the "instability of PalmOS" but reallyit could be they way the software is written since when not in Background mode it doesn't crash so much. Verichat is more stable tha IM+ in this respect.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Well, I definatley need the BG mode to work. So far the program with the best BG mode is Verichat. Causerie and Mundu don't see to stay connected, even though both of them say they support it. VC would reconnect if the connection dropped, it would show a small window at the bottom of the Palm screen whenever it would reconnect, so it was obvious when it was working.

I like Mundu, other than it seem to disconnect alot and not reconnect as VC would.

Causerie, which I have still only used a couple of times, won't let you move your buddies around into other groups.

I am gonna try Chatopus next.
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    Please explain limited notification options.
    It has popup, vibrate, and audio.
    It's been a while but if I remember correctly the popup notifications didn't work while mundu ran in the background. This caused problems if I didn't hear the audible or vibrate notification. I would have a message and never know it unless I changed focus to mundu. Another problem was mundu frequently disconnected while in background mode without any notification or alarm I was disconnected from the server.

Also, I didn't like how mundu didn't have full support for the 5-way. Some functions were impossible to select without the stylus.
    Quote Originally Posted by kc5hwb View Post
    I was mistaken about Chatopus. I didn't read an unfavorable review on it, but it appeared that it wasn't really made for AIM/Yahoo and was more a just a Jabber chat program.
    You're right, it wasn't really made specifically for AIM/Yahoo. The gateways were made for integration with other IM protocols. It'll probably never have some of the nice stuff Verichat had like fancy emoticons, text coloring, etc... However, it's a nice stable no thrills IM app.

I'd like to point out one thing that can be done with Chatopus I haven't found in any other IM client. I can be logged into multiple accounts for the same provider at the same time. For example I can log into all three of my yahoo accounts at the same time I'm logged into my two AIM accounts.

Worst part about Chatopuse is finding good stable servers with stable Yahoo, AIM, MSN, and IRC gateways.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    It's been a while but if I remember correctly the popup notifications didn't work while mundu ran in the background. This caused problems if I didn't hear the audible or vibrate notification. I would have a message and never know it unless I changed focus to mundu. Another problem was mundu frequently disconnected while in background mode without any notification or alarm I was disconnected from the server.

Also, I didn't like how mundu didn't have full support for the 5-way. Some functions were impossible to select without the stylus.
    Mine stays in background with no problem. It only disconnects when my connection fails. In fact, sometimes I forget it's even connected until I go to log in and it's already connected. I don't remember if it shows the popup in background or not.
    I never noticed about the 5-way support because I use the stylus, that's why I bought a treo, for the touch screen feature.

When I originally tested Mundu I felt that it didn't get most of the messages, and the alerts didn't work at all.
    I tried it again later on and I received every message, and every alert.

I purchased IM+ prior to Mundu, but IM+ lacked the ability to block users, which I found out I really needed and IM+ for the most part would not log me in invisibly even though that's what I chose.

Those are the only two I tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post

Sorry, I haven't been back to this thread since Friday, but what peterlemonjello is what happens to me when I use Mundu. I always got an alert for new Yahoo! Mail but it isn't consistent with IMs.
    ~Jessi~

Handspring Visor > Handspring Visor Edge - Silver > Handspring Treo 90 > Palm Tungsten T3 > Palm Treo 680 - Arctic
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast