Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Hey there,
    can I use Toccer with Googletalk?
    What options are there for AIM and Googletalk, and MSN, Yahoo, ?
    I have heard Chatopus can do pretty much all of them which sounds cool.
    Can you run several networks and logins simultaneously?
    Run it in background and receive calls?
    Run it in background and not run the battery down so much?
    I notice Toccer runs the battery down pretty quickly.

cheers!
    Toccer is AIM only. Causerie can do all of them and Googletalk via Jabber (Chatopous probably can too) and can run in the background and use data or SMS.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I play around with Toccer from time to time and think its great. I am still stuck on Verichat, I wish it did GoogleTalk, but with all the other stuff it does, I am not complaining.
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    I just tried Messenger. Not too bad. I can actually see that I'm on mobile. cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    I just tried Messenger. Not too bad. I can actually see that I'm on mobile. cool!
    For your sake, I genuinely hope the server remains reliable. NOT my experience. Purchased about a year ago... servers down frequently... no response to emails from Causerie developer MantraGroup ... this problem reported frequently here and elsewhere. The forums were recently resurrected, just in time to usher in their newest product. I had purchased the Pro version. Needless to say, I have not renewed. Moved to Verichat instead.
    I'm a big IM user and I purchased a license to verichat. While the tool is very capable (Trillian like), it caused many comm problems on my 650. It would constantly lock up the phone. I tried it in both SMS and Data modes. Neither worked any better.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Toccer is AIM only. Causerie can do all of them and Googletalk via Jabber (Chatopous probably can too) and can run in the background and use data or SMS.
    I have to admit that 2-way SMS in Causerie (as compared to receive only in VeriChat) is WAY cool. But first they have to get some the bugs out.

The thing that totally stuns me, compared to VeriChat (2.89b) is the Causerie 3.23 hasn't crashed on my 650 (data, not SMS mode) even once. I could feel the frustration melting away all day while IM'ing in Causerie, and wathcing my Verichat friends pop in and out of IM as their Treo's reset.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    [*]Webmessenger Jabber - pricey jabber client with year subscription
    FYI, it nows says 29.95 one time fee on their website. downloading a trial now.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Verichat doesn't yet go Jabber (Google Talk). That's the main downside of Verichat. Other than that limitation, it's a great program.
    Quote Originally Posted by badler
    Other than that limitation, it's a great program.
    Oh, I don't know... I found frequent resets in 2.89b rather limiting, too... I'd love to see what the next releaes is like... if they'd ever release it. I must say that I think the whole gobbling up of PDA Apps by Intellisync and Nokia hasn't exactly helped them in build TAT. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's hurt their responsiveness tremendously.
    Hi everyone,

Here's my IM story. I bought a Verichat license last year, and although the IM side of the program is good, it does seem to cause resets occasionally. Since I have to buy a new license, I was looking around to see if anything better was out there. I had high hopes for Causerie, but that was reseting my phone all over the place. Removed it, and everything was stable for a few days again. I then tried Chatopus. This seems quite nice, no resets at all for 3 days now. However, my battery life seems much reduced, and this seems to be a common fault with it. Hmmm. I don't know what to do. Maybe go back to Verichat and live with a reset every now and then? Has anyone found a cure for Chatopus's battery hunger?

-James.
    USR Pilot 5000, Palm Pilot Pro, Palm V, Sony Clie 610, Sony Clie TG50, Sony Clie UX50, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    A reset every now and again isn't a big deal, like one a day or something wouldn't bother me to much, most carriers actually recommend resetting your phone at least once a day anyway. I run Verichat all the time, and actually I go several days without a reset, thats even in combination with running Chatter and a Launcher..... My VZW 650 has been much more stable than I expected it to be
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    iramike. A reset a day is not good enough for me! I don't know who paid you to say that.

I do run Chatter too, I think Chatter is wonderful, and quite stable.

-James.
    USR Pilot 5000, Palm Pilot Pro, Palm V, Sony Clie 610, Sony Clie TG50, Sony Clie UX50, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I have always done that with all my phones, I also have worked in the wireless industry long enough to see that some problems are actually corrected by a simple reset.
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

I've worked in the software industry long enough to realise that I have a problem with my code (associated code, or the underlying OS) if the system is not stable...

-James.
    I agree. I'm sure Bill Gates laughs himself hoarse every day he drives into "work" at the pervasiveness of "just restart it to fix the problem" his Windows software helped cement into peoples' minds. *shakes head and gives a moment of silence to the days of well-written code*

But we lose twice here. First and foremost, we lose because POS is a POS... no memory protection for poorly written applications. And we lose because Verichat is not properly debugged. Personally, I've found Causerie to be a nice alternative... though they need to deal with some scale issues on their back-end servers. At least their code seems much more well behaved WRT resets...
    hey guys, i'm new here so excuse the ignorance. i've read through this thread at first and downloaded toccer. however, when i leave toccer running on an away message, it kills my battery life in less than 12 hours. is this the case with other messenger services? are they battery killers as well if you leave them running while out and about? any help would be appreciated, much thanks.
    retro, I think about 24 hours battery life is about right for a full-time data connection, with an average amount of use. That's about what I get running Chatter and Verichat. Both Chatter and Verichat go to sleep at night for about 6 of those 24 hours.

-James.
    I didn't see any reviews of IM+, so here's mine..

I was using IM+ on my Blackberry 7100g. I recently signed up for unlimited data on my Verizon T650, so I moved my license over. Big mistake.

The version for Palm is a full version behind, and it shows. A lot of the functionality and options that I had on the Blackberry version aren't on the Palm version. For example, in version 3 (blackberry) it can keep the users separated by group. In the Palm version, it can't. The connection is also buggy, and crashes from time to time. Although you can use google talk along with AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Jabber, and ICQ, it's just not worth it. Hopefully they will upgrade the palm version soon. Though it's nice not having to pay annual fees, like the other chat programs.
    Causerie's latest beta (3.2.4d) is now available in their forums:

Causerie 3.2.4d Features

Better Always on: Device resets, phone calls, roaming, travelling - no problem! 3.2.4d will reconnect to the server
    Encryption: 3.2.4d gets the Basic Encryption to Consumer version. Make sure your IMs are secure now
    Chat Rooms and Support: Have a problem, chat with a technical support personnel from Causerie. You shall see a new group called support when the support is online.

Now NVFS compatible.

To know more about Causerie, please visit http://www.mantragroup.com/products/palm/im/

Release Notes for version 3.2.4d:
    a) Improved 2-way SMS handling (issue raised by taroliw, JayTee)
    b) Fixed crash in SMS mode (issue raised by taroliw)
    c) SMS selecting prolems (issue raised by Bjaebjoch)
    d) Proper NetLib registration to fix the NVFS problem (issue raised by ScottyMomo)
    e) Battery Drain issue in CDMA devices (issue raised by rsprouse)
    f) Maintenance upgrade.
    g) Causerie libraries updated for Maintenance and better performance during chatting.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast