Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    What AIM app uses TXT messages? Mundu... it won't load on my T-Mobile T-Zones SIM. Im gonna try my AT&T later, but its GoPhone so I dont wanna screw it up.

Causerie looks good. reminds me of VeriChat. Works with T-Zones and SMS?
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    I need an IM app that will support multi-user chat or chat rooms like the setup in the picture below. Any ideas??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Quote Originally Posted by techiechick View Post
    I need an IM app that will support multi-user chat or chat rooms like the setup in the picture below. Any ideas??
    Phil of chatworks is working on just this issue. Really what you are asking for is jabber MUC (multi-user chat), especially if you are looking at IEM chat
    That is exactly what I'm after!!

Keep me posted, ok?
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    I've tried to wade through this thread to see if anyone has found an IM app that meets my basic requirements, but I haven't been able to pull that information out of all the great info that has been contributed -- so I'm posting my question and ask forgiveness if it's been asked already but I've overlooked the answer.

I'm looking for something to replace Verichat (my service just expired), I want something that will (in priority order):

1. runs on Treo 650 with Sprint unlimited internet service pack
    2. does not use SMS (I don't have unlimited SMS package with Sprint)
    3. connect to MSN, AOL and Y! IM services
    4. stay connected reasonably well in background mode
    5. provide priority to in-coming phone calls (meaning while in background mode in-coming calls will ring on the phone and not go to voicemail and while in foreground, in-coming calls will ring on the phone and not go to voicemail)

I tried Munu v4, and it's pretty close to meeting all my needs but my in-coming calls go to voicemail.

Thanks in advance!

-byteshredder-
    byteshredder,

You callers are sent to voicemail because your not using an EVDO connection. Any app that's using a non-EVDO data connection will behave this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByteShredder View Post
    I'm looking for something to replace Verichat (my service just expired), I want something that will (in priority order):

2. does not use SMS (I don't have unlimited SMS package with Sprint)
    4. stay connected reasonably well in background mode
    5. provide priority to in-coming phone calls
    These three wind up being mutually exclusive in my experience. SMS, when it works well, will keep you connected without interrupting phone calls. But except for EVDO, any kind of data activity (to satisfy 2 and 4) would prevent 5. Basically, if you want a solution that absolutely positively won't interrupt phone calls then you need to focus on something SMS based -- which has the advantage that it will work WHILE you're on a phone call without needing EVDO. it's all a question of which is more important to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ByteShredder View Post
    I tried Munu v4, and it's pretty close to meeting all my needs but my in-coming calls go to voicemail.
    I've been using Mundu v4 for a while now on my 680 to stay logged into 5 different IM services. Yes, phone calls do sometimes roll to voicemail. But my personal communication style tends more to email, IM, and SMS anyway so that doesn't bother me so much. YMMV
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    MunduIM works fine for me on AT&T, but my T-MobileWeb and proxy doesn't wanna seem to work on my 680. Still attempting to resolve this with the Mundu team!

toccer works really well, amazing background support, and its free!
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
  9. 2xs
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    mundu IM v4 is so sloooow, all these laggy refreshments when new contacts come online and then, if in background, mundu never shows the nickname with new messages, always just the UIN... well thats for ICQ.

IM+ 3.0 is much faster, has a nice support of palm's center-button-reminder and shows nicknames. Unfortunately no file-transfer
    current devices: PRE+
    I tried making a go of it with IM+ a few times and just find it's UI really irritating. Not sure, but I seem to remember some stability problems while in background, but it's a been a long while since I last tried it.

Mundu is a little tricky about nicknames, yes. I found that if I updated nicknames using the native IM client (AIM, Yahoo) then they do display properly. GTalk and ICQ I'm not so sure about, since I don't use them for many contacts. I *do* like the fact that this info is kept on the server (where it works) so that I don't have to worry about losing that if I reinstall Mundu *or* move to other computers or devices.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Anyone have MunduIM working with T-MobileWeb proxy?
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Which IM client supports AIM and will only use my TXT messages, seeing as I have unlimited text, but I don't have the data plan (too expensive).
    Quote Originally Posted by emerica View Post
    Which IM client supports AIM and will only use my TXT messages, seeing as I have unlimited text, but I don't have the data plan (too expensive).
    I don't think any support SMS only being that you need to use data to access your buddylist. Your best bet is to just use AIM Forwarding then if you don't want any data charges at all.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    What about for gTalk anybody have a solution?
    Tritan

May the Pda be with you!!
    Mundu
    Is Mundu 4.1.0p Build 11046 the latest? IM+ has completely stopped working for me, even after removing everything on it, ram files, preferences, etc.. It is just acting crazy no matter what I try, so I'm trying Mundu again.
    Yep, that's the latest build. It's much better than the original 4.0.0 version. I don't have any issues with disconnecting anymore.
    I wish I could find a chat program that works with Microsoft communicator (LCS). Anyone know of any?
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman View Post
    I wish I could find a chat program that works with Microsoft communicator (LCS). Anyone know of any?
    Actually, ShapeServices has an IM+ for LCS version. I've recently revisited IM+ (for Palm), which is now in version 3.1, mostly because my employer uses Jabber with SSL. Sadly, most Jabber clients on Palm can't do SSL, and if they do it they fail to support it in the background. Thankfully, ShapeServices have actually added this support into IM+ 3.1 and it seems to work pretty well.

I have noticed that it has some non-optimal behaviors with respect to background operations though. If it has difficulty, for example, in staying connected to a service it will attempt to reconnect on it's own. But there are situations where it pops up a message dialog. This is great if you're staring at it to see it... but otherwise it sits there and gums up the works to very horrible effect. I would rather just have quietly let the connection to a service die (if it's in background or device is asleep) after a couple of attempts and not pop up a modal dialog.

I've actually had it try reconnecting so frequently to some services that it actually gets me temporarily blocked! There should either a throttle on that behavior or a setting that makes it stop after so many failed attempts.

In regular usage, though, I am finding IM+ 3.1 to be fairly usable. I am finding that they have made nice enhancements to the UI compared to earlier versions. Instead of just having the horizontally scrolling tab interface to navigate between sessions, they now have two different pull-down session lists. The full session list pull-down at the top is also easily navigable via the 5-way -- in fact, I've noticed with some glee that when shifting left and right, the 5-way nav skips the tabs in preference to highlighting the pull-down menu... kudos! The second pull down resolves a HUGE complaint I had of this UI in the past.... it appears at the bottom only when you have messages that you haven't yet seen and when selected lists only those sessions with new messages (and nicely indicates how many messages haven't been seen). By itself this last change makes this product seriously more usable for me than earlier releases I tried.

Something else that I like about how they've improved background mode is that IM+ can be configured to open itself when a message is received -- versus just playing an alert or vibrating. In use, this means that if you're doing something in your calendar or email, IM+ will automatically come up if a message arrives. What's cool about this, should you wish it, is that it does this without pop-up messages. I am thrilled by this because it means that even if I'm not there to see a message arrive it won't hobble my whole device (PalmOS "feature" with pop-up messages) until I have a chance to see it. Again, kudos!
    Last edited by taroliw; 02/06/2008 at 07:38 AM. Reason: forgot a feature I wanted to mention
    Yeah.. I looked into their IM+ for LCS, but it looks like they sell some kind of enterprise server/proxy server to make it work.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast