1.    #1  
    I currently have sprint and had my current samsung phone for only 13 months. I'd like to get a Treo 650, and the best price I've seen it for is $599 from PalmOne.

Are there any other places I can look to get a better deal?

-martin
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Try Amazon. They have a $50 rebate right now.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Take a look at this thread that talks about rebates for existing users.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=63505
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by utey
    Try Amazon. They have a $50 rebate right now.
    Um. Yea, but I'm an existing customer. That $50 rebate stipulates activating a new line.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Geek
    Take a look at this thread that talks about rebates for existing users.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=63505
    Is the only way to get any form of discount on this phone is via sprint rebate or service credi? (For existing customers anyway)
    I'm in same boat... 13 mo with Sprint on 2 yr contract, so no rebate. Called my local Sprint store, they offered me $75 off if I sign a NEW 2 yr contract. I'm mulling it over.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf
    I'm in same boat... 13 mo with Sprint on 2 yr contract, so no rebate. Called my local Sprint store, they offered me $75 off if I sign a NEW 2 yr contract. I'm mulling it over.
    Would they make you get a new plan when you sign a new 2 year contract? I have the original old school vision plan that I don't wanna lose.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Yea they would but you might be able to avoid it. If you wait 5 months not only will it be cheaper but the the carries will have it so you might be able to negotiate a better price plus get you $150 phone credit.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    I just signed a new two year contract and got 5% off my bill but still kept the same plan with old sT
    ...school $10 vision. I'm never giving that up.
    Well after all the talk about whether Sprint will give the 650 rebate to existing customers who are no longer under contract and willing to renew for 1-2 years.....I GOT THE REBATE, NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!

I simply called to activate the new phone, told them that I wanted to sign a new contract that would qualify me for the $100 rebate. DONE!

After hanging up with the first CSR, I called back just to confirm that my activation and rebate had been processed correctly, and the 2nd CSR confirmed that the proper codes had been entered for the $100/1 year rebate.

As I have argued all along....just call in and act like you know what you are talking about. Don't ASK, just tell them what you are calling for.

SAMPLE DIALOGUE
    "I am an existing customer calling to activate a new phone and sign a new 1 year contract qualifying me for the $100 rebate offered on the Treo 650"

I didn't talk to any special department, I didn't have to tap dance and threaten to end my 5 year affair with Sprint.

I purchased my phone through Vienna Channels for $349. After deducting the $200 sale of my 600 and the $100 Sprint rebate, the grand total for my new 650 is...$49
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf
    Tell them you'll remember today's decision when your current contract ends.

It costs four times as much to aquire new customers as it does to keep existing ones.

And, you could always bump down to the lowest plan to avoid the ETF fee, and swtich to someone who will give you the phone for a discount.

Might want to remind them of this as well.
    I was offered the 650 for $449 + 50 billing credit. No rebate whatsoever. Is this the best deal right now? My contract was already renewed 3 months ago so there'd be no extension necessary.
    Treo Moblog: http://nudle.textamerica.com
    It depends on how well you negotiate, and how big your monthly bill is.

My monthly Sprint bill is ~$200, so an early termination fee is equal to roughly a month of service for me. I'll barely notice it. But them missing 24 months of $200 is what ... $4,800 over the lifetime of the contract.

So, giving me a "new activiation" discount on the phone just makes good business sense.

I was quick to point this out, and after some manger this, and manager that ... this is what I got.

Now, if I were on a $50/month plan, I dunno. I probably wouldn't get squat.

Cellular companies are very much like used car dealerships these days. There is alot of negotiating that you can do, and the first price you are quoted is rarely the best price ... unless they really just don't want your business.

It never hurts to ask. And it never hurts to call back if you get a CSR who just really doesn't give a s**T (about 60% of Sprint phone CSR reps).

Call back until you get one of the 40% who can actually understand the logic of your position.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_j
    I was offered the 650 for $449 + 50 billing credit. No rebate whatsoever. Is this the best deal right now? My contract was already renewed 3 months ago so there'd be no extension necessary.
    How did you get offered that? When you called to activate, *2, store?
    *2.. I hate dealing with the morons at the stores. I dunno if the fact that i've been with Sprint for 4 years have anything to do with it. My phone bill is not $200/month like the poster above though! Geesh, laddie, how much do you bloody use per month? I guess you probably don't have a landline? My plan is $50/month + $10 Vision (gotta love the grandfather vision pricing) + $4 insurance (soon to be $5). Corp discount of 25% of the bottom line.
    Treo Moblog: http://nudle.textamerica.com
    I bought the 600 14 months ago. Went in to the Sprint store, inquired about upgrading but wanted the $150 rebate for 18-month owned handsets. Was given the company line (Sorry, need to have the phone for 18 months, etc). Gave Sprint customer service a call, in 3 minutes they very nicely approved me for the rebate upgrade. Store checked my account, verified that the codes were there, and gave me the rebate form along with my new 650. Now, I've been a SPCS customer for 6 years or so, have always paid on time, and currently spend $150/mo (two phone, including taxes), so that might have played a factor. Never hurts to ask, especially when your monthly bill is close to the contract termination fee (i.e. it won't hurt me too bad to ditch you and get service elsewhere). I pointed out that they (Sprint) were releasing new models of the Treo every 12 months on average, a point she couldn't argue with (especially since I said Sprint was releasing them, not PalmOne).

To sum, ask politely. Sometimes you get what you ask for.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_j
    *2.. I hate dealing with the morons at the stores. I dunno if the fact that i've been with Sprint for 4 years have anything to do with it. My phone bill is not $200/month like the poster above though! Geesh, laddie, how much do you bloody use per month?
    Correct, no landline.

Haven't had one in 4 years.

And to be honest, I don't miss it.