1.    #1  
    On my Treo 600, I could quickly put the screen backlight into night mode. On the 650, it doesn't seem like there is a way to do this other than manually adjusting the screen brightness. Am I missing something? I prefer the convenience of the old system. The screen is just too bright for reading in the dark.

The 650 also seems to have the keyboard backlit all the time. With the 600, the keyboard backlight automatically turned off after a period of inactivity. I also prefered this for nighttime reading since the keyboard backlight can be distracting as well. Again, am I missing something? Is there any software available to give more control over the backlights?
    I too would like to have a method to turn of the keyboard backlight. Is there any sort of utility to do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Krispy2001
    On my Treo 600, I could quickly put the screen backlight into night mode. On the 650, it doesn't seem like there is a way to do this other than manually adjusting the screen brightness. Am I missing something? I prefer the convenience of the old system. The screen is just too bright for reading in the dark.

The 650 also seems to have the keyboard backlit all the time. With the 600, the keyboard backlight automatically turned off after a period of inactivity. I also prefered this for nighttime reading since the keyboard backlight can be distracting as well. Again, am I missing something? Is there any software available to give more control over the backlights?
    Krispy you are missing something.

I did too til I saw it on a post here

Try pressing the BLACK key on the left (Option) and the up arrow key on the right (shift)

You go to night mode!
    That is how it works on a Treo 600. On a Treo 650, when you do this you get an adjustment slider for the screen brightness.

The issue is that the keyboard light is really really bright. Much brighter than than the 600 and as bright as the screen. The keyboard also stays light the whole time the screen is on unlike the 600 where the keyboard goes off after a few seconds.

In the video of the Treo roadshow that someone posted, it was mentioned that the team at P1 thought about adding a control for this but didn't have time since the change was considered too close to release. They said that this did add an API to control the keyboard backlighting. Here's hoping some developer writes an app for this!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio

Try pressing the BLACK key on the left (Option) and the up arrow key on the right (shift)

You go to night mode!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    That is how it works on a Treo 600. On a Treo 650, when you do this you get an adjustment slider for the screen brightness.
    Nope... on the 650, Option-Right Shift does dim the screen, but not the keyboard. Option-P(*) brings up the brightness slider.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    I know on my former Kyocera 7135 Palm Phone when the phone sat in the charger/sync cradle there was an option for the screen backlight to go on and stay on (until removed from the cradle). Made for a great clock/nightlight when I was traveling. Is there an option for this on the 650 (screen backlight always on when in cradle) ?
    You are correct, I was thinking of the option-p, I didn't know about option-right shift.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    Nope... on the 650, Option-Right Shift does dim the screen, but not the keyboard. Option-P(*) brings up the brightness slider.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Does mLights work on the 650 to control the keyboard backlight?

-Greg
  9.    #9  
    Thanks everyone, for filling me in about putting the 650 into night mode. I'm sure it's in the manual somewhere, but somehow I missed it.

Now if I could just get the keyboard to dim as well.
    mlights does not work
    mLights DOES WORK!

It not very customizable but it does what it claims which is turn off the keyboard backlights during the user-defined daylight hours.

As a result, power consumption is conserved considerably!
    do you have a link for the app?
    Search for KBLightsOff. A great, inexpensive app for controlling the keyboard backlight. It's functions should have been part of the Treo from the beginning.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I'll second kbLightsOff, and well worth the $5. I think folks who charge a nominal fee for their applications actually make more money than those who charge asinine prices for a rudimentary application.
    Quote Originally Posted by optimalcapacity
    mLights DOES WORK!
    not when I posted
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Scotty: Are you confirming that brightcam beta will run on a 650 without causing problems?

Anyone have opinions on brightcam beta v. KBLightsOff?
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio
    You go to night mode!
    Much Coolness!
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    I'll second kbLightsOff, and well worth the $5. I think folks who charge a nominal fee for their applications actually make more money than those who charge asinine prices for a rudimentary application.
    Link KBLights Off
    http://www.lilapps.com/

I just registered today. They need to add a menu feature so you can paste registration code from VersaMail though...
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular