Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    I'd like to see WiFi on my 600. I support software and buy hardware that's useful to me. I have a Airport Base Station at the house, and the increased throughput would be fantastic. Just weighing in with a show of support. Sorry it's been so long since I posted, 2 Grad classes slammed me right up until xmas.

Ed
    --------------
    http://www.rezonate.com/walkabout/whatsonmytreo600.html
  2.    #162  
    My expected arrival time for my San Disk card was the 30th. I assume it will be here soon. Then I am in for testing various combinations.
    OK, my friend gave me his WiFi + 256Mb Sandisk SD card so that I could do some tests with it on the Treo 600 while he's waiting to find a buyer... Unfortunately, I left my WiFi-only SD card at home, so I can't do a side-by-side comparison until Friday afternoon...

Anyway, when I insert the 256+Wifi SD card in the Treo 600, the CardInfo program gives nothing (only one "Unknown" entry in the card list, and no detail about this entry in the rest of the screen), unless I install the Zire71SDPatch2 file (mmc.prc). In this case I get the following data:

First entry in the card selection popup list:
    Unknown, Type: Secure Digital Card, Size: None

Second entry in the card selection popup list:
    Unkown, Type: SD I/O Card, function 1, Size: None (Device Id: DB020201)

(FWIW the Device Id for the WiFi-only card was DB020200)

I did some test using the Sandisk WiFi driver, but the card's LED doesn't illuminate, and it doesn't find any WiFi network to connect to. I tried both versions (Zire and TE) with the same result. At least, after installing mmc.prc, the Pegasus Utility application doesn't exit complaining that it can't find a WiFi card, but that's the best I could get... OTOH, it could mean that both WiFi-only and Wifi+256 cards are handled by the driver.

Here's a link to the picture of the WiFi + 256 Sandisk SD card, and another for the picture of the WiFi-only Sansdisk SD card.

Maybe we should try calling the cards by their reference (or a part thereof) to avoid confusion? The WiFi only card is labelled "SDWSDB-000" and the WiFi+256 is labelled "SDWSDB-256", but it's a bit long to type again and again if we're going to perform many tests. Or what about "WLAN" and "COMBO"?
    It would appear that the software is at least set up to recognize a WiFi card with memory.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    It would appear that the software is at least set up to recognize a WiFi card with memory.
    Yes, this could be the case. But on the other hand, the Treo 600 (or my old Tunsgten T, FWIW) doesn't seem to recognize the memory part...
  6.    #166  
    It looks like we are atleast getting a wi-fi sled. Check out this link posted on another thread today: http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5675.html
    No pictures yet, but the people at Enfora must have been able to atleast solve network problems and found a way around potential power issues. I wish there was a picture. I wonder how bulky this will be? Still better than nothing. If it connects to the bottom of the Treo the 600 and 650 will be quit a bit different. It will also allow for SD card access at the same time. Considering the 650's memory issues this may be a viable option for 650 and 600 users. Personally I still would prefer SDIO wi-fi. It still would be nice to see there drivers.
    Ballistic posted a link yesterday with a picture of the sled, scheduled for a Feb 1 release.
    I would rather have a sled with a built in battery and my SDIO slot available then have a SDIO wifi card that would eat my battery and prevent my backup memory to be used.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    I'm the opposite. There's no way I'm carrying that thing with me everywhere. It'd be fine for fixed locations, but not so hot for getting some impromptu work done when you find a hotspot somewhere. Ideally, both solutions would be available: the sled for when you know you'll be doing wifi somewhere and the sdio card for improvised sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnrjr79
    I'm the opposite. There's no way I'm carrying that thing with me everywhere. It'd be fine for fixed locations, but not so hot for getting some impromptu work done when you find a hotspot somewhere. Ideally, both solutions would be available: the sled for when you know you'll be doing wifi somewhere and the sdio card for improvised sessions.
    It won't be so easy to carry the SDIO card in the Treo, though. It sticks out a couple of inches. Just about as inconvenient as a sled, and potentially a lot more breakable.
    Shneor
    An SD card wouldn't be as annoying to me as a sled. I wouldn't leave it in the phone anyway unless it has RAM built in. Sticking an extra SD card in my wallet is no big deal for me.

I don't like carrying around extra junk and I know I'd rarely use the sled if I bought it. I didn't use the modem sleds much for my Palm III and Palm V. They spent most of their time in my desk. I am not going to buy another sled of any type since I know I'd never use it no matter what I told myself at time of purchase.

Of course, in the land of Utopia all needed functionality is built into the phone rendering these points moot. Too bad we don't live there.

It won't be so easy to carry the SDIO card in the Treo, though. It sticks out a couple of inches. Just about as inconvenient as a sled, and potentially a lot more breakable.
    What's the status on getting the card to work in the 600?
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by manorton
    What's the status on getting the card to work in the 600?
    Yeah I was wondering this as well.

Apparently they use the (seriel) connector. Implementation options:

- Will de device be presented as a real WaveLAN device to the palmOS? Adding the need for WaveLAN drivers (which will be provided with the sled I presume). Advantage: All typical WaveLAN software will run, i.e. the WaveLAN scanning tools to make use of existing hot spots etc.
    - Will there be an IP (PPP or wathever) connection between sled and palmOS, hiding the fact that it's a WaveLAN device. This will need some proprietary tool for the Treo to be able to configure the device (WEP etc), but will also result in the fact that the typical WaveLAN tools will be of no use on the Treo.

I hope for the first!
    Yeah, I would normally leave my 1 gig sd card in the Treo and just carry the wifi card around in one of those tiny plastic case things and swap out when I was looking to find a wifi network.
    Yeah an SDIO Wifi card is a better solution as it will not alienate users that use a case.
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
    sob sob...When will SDIO WiFi for Treo ever arrive?...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lure_Angler
    sob sob...When will SDIO WiFi for Treo ever arrive?...
    Maybe in the Treo 700?
    Shneor
    Maybe in the Treo 700?
    Why would any cellular company want phones with WiFi? It could compete with them. How would they make money off having WiFi in the phone?
    I think we knowt that already....sled and SDIO is 2 different to me...
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast