Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    shadowmite, if you achieve wifi on the treo 600, im sending ya money. I applaud what you're doing for the treo community here - I believe you are about to significantly change the way people use their treos when the proverbial "light bulb" goes on!

kudos to you! best of luck, and many thanks for all the effort!
    I dont undersand why would handspring/palmone bother to put a SDIO slot on the treo 600 in the first place if they did not want users to have WiFi? It's all on the data plan!
  3.    #143  
    Quote Originally Posted by ccarrieta17
    I dont undersand why would handspring/palmone bother to put a SDIO slot on the treo 600 in the first place if they did not want users to have WiFi? It's all on the data plan!
    Wi-fi would give much faster download speeds, plus it is a cheaper option than regular data.
    While ShadowMite does not seem to be motivated by money, I think it would be a good gesture from us Treo 600 users to start a moneypledge pot to show our support for efforts to hack a Treo 600 WiFi driver.

It looks like shadow is buying a 600 on his own and we shouldn't expect him to have to do this. If need be, I can follow this thread and keep track of the pledges. I've been a member of Treocentral since my Treo 300 days but I haven't posted much (if at all) so we might want a more "trusted" member to collect any money.

I can't afford a WiFi card right now, but I'd like to help with this project in any way I can (including possibly loaning my Sprint Treo 600 to shadow for a while if that helps).
    I'm a software tester by trade and I don't mind getting my hands dirty.

As far as the pledges go, I'll start the ball rolling by pledging $5. I think the pledging idea worked really well on the T650 forum to rally support and build enthusiam for the idea of doing something damn near impossible and succeeding! I want to show shadow and euroclie that we T600 users show similar enthusiam and support.

Won't you consider also making a pledge here to support this effort?

thanks,
    Bob Clancy (Boston, MA)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I would make a pledge for $5 bucks. Great job shadowmite, and all others who have helped.
    Bump.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Tried 650 shadowmite's driver with my San Disk card:
    It installs, reboots, installs more. then asks to insert card and hit next.
    I insert wifi card, hit next, nothing happens, still asks to his next or cancel.

Tried Zodiac drivers:
    Intalled, asks to reboot. When I insert WiFi card, application automatically starts. But cant find any signal and light is not on on the WiFi card.

Tried SanDisk drivers posted here:
    Installed, go to WiFi utility, it tries to scan for networks, but find nothing. Light is not on on the WiFi card.
  8.    #148  
    We need some work on the San Disk WiFi driver. We need shadow to use his knowledge to get the power on the cars to turn on. Once we have it powered it will probably wprk with few modifip
    Quote Originally Posted by swayne
    the T650 connection to the web is wi-fi.

a significant incompatibility with the T650 and a wi-fi application is discovered.

THIS is the relevance to this thread...
    Swayne
    Dude, what are you inhaling ?

Keep up the goodwork, shadowmite, euro and morrison.
    Can you make the new "hacked" SanDisk Driver.....for Tungsten E

It works , but it cannot use DCHP , only via Fixed IP Addersss.....

shadowmite, are you hearing this , I do not minding paying you some $$$ for it
    Quote Originally Posted by prasys
    Can you make the new "hacked" SanDisk Driver.....for Tungsten E

It works , but it cannot use DCHP , only via Fixed IP Addersss.....

shadowmite, are you hearing this , I do not minding paying you some $$$ for it
    Hi Prasys,
    Are you saying that the "hacked" Tungsten E SanDisk driver works on the Treo600, but can't use DHCP?

Or are you refering only to the driver running on the Tungsten E?
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  12.    #152  
    When you say the driver is working, do you mean the card lights up? I noticed my last message got cut off. I was posting from my Treo. Sorry.
    No No No , I asked shadowmite , to create a Driver for the Tungsten|E...I was running it for the Tungsten|E

Its impossible on Treo 600 , like shadowmite stated due to the low-powered SD Card (although Tungsten|E was low-powered too)....Hmm , if there is only a workaround....

But , when I insert the same card on my Treo , the Card Info shows two things here :-

1. Unknown

2.Pegasus_WIFI_SDIO_CARD

but on my Tungsten|E , it just shows only one , which is Pegasus_WIFI_SDIO_CARD , that is weird , I think the Card is not supported yet....
    My impression is that this will benefit users in two circumstances.

1. Where there is no or a poor cellular signal
    2. Users with a limited data plan who want to avoid charges

How else is this of use? Is this of great value or just a toy?
    3. ability to connect to a corporate network as part of that network instead of having to VPN.
    4. ability to drain your battery the fastest way possible next to forcing it to spin a hard drive.
    5. Ability to print wirelessly from your palm to a local printer I (via WiFi)
    Quote Originally Posted by manorton
    My impression is that this will benefit users in two circumstances.

1. Where there is no or a poor cellular signal
    2. Users with a limited data plan who want to avoid charges

How else is this of use? Is this of great value or just a toy?
    1) Once WiFi is available, skype will probably make/release a palm client.
    You could then make phone calls cheap during the day instead of using up
    cellular minutes. (You could then subscribe to a cheaper "celll phone"
    plan with less minutes.) You would still use the cell phone for those times
    when you are away from the WiFi area.

2) WiFi will give you significantly more bandwidth than your cellular data
    plan does. (You would still use your cellular data plan when you are away
    from the WiFi network.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I am expecting once I get home to get my test treo 600 unit. I'll do my best to determine if it'll run wifi or not. But I make no promises. I still don't know why the treo 650 wifi worked originally, but not after the custom roms... Something is really flaky.
    shadowmite , glad you will take a look into it ,and mind taking a look at those SanDisk files and why it causes the handheld (Tungsten) to fail to get the IP Address using DHCP...Thanks a lot
    So Shadow, any breakthrough?
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast