Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Vish,

Tried again today with the Zodiac Drivers only - seemed promising in that the prog installed, and when executed asked for card to be inserted, and looked like it "recognized" the card. But again, no light.

The I tried 3.1 in combo with the zodiac drivers, installed before, after, and at the same time as the zodiac, with varying results, but never any light on card.

Anything else you can remember? I'm approaching 80 hard resets, so maybe it'll work for me, too.
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by mathetesnj
    Vish,

Tried again today with the Zodiac Drivers only - seemed promising in that the prog installed, and when executed asked for card to be inserted, and looked like it "recognized" the card. But again, no light.

The I tried 3.1 in combo with the zodiac drivers, installed before, after, and at the same time as the zodiac, with varying results, but never any light on card.

Anything else you can remember? I'm approaching 80 hard resets, so maybe it'll work for me, too.
    I think you should give the Tungsten e drivers that I posted on the last page a try. They are officially an unrealeased version, as The Tungsten E's SDIO was not rated to work with a wi-fi card similar to the Treo 600. Run the install tool, it should install 4 .prc's. I tried it last night and it seemed very stable, I just don't have a card so I can't test it any further. One improvement over the Zodiac drivers that I noticed is that it didn't interfere with my internet connection. I have installed the Zodiac driver before, but I noticed that it disabled my internet connection.
    MM,

I see Zire driver in post 41, but no tungsten drivers. What post are they in?

As soon as I find them, I'll try them.

Thanks!
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by mathetesnj
    MM,

I see Zire driver in post 41, but no tungsten drivers. What post are they in?

As soon as I find them, I'll try them.

Thanks!
    Here is the link:
    http://www.sandisk.com/tech/docs/palm-driver-v3.zip

Give it a try.
    Tried it, and it looked promising, except my P1 card is not recognized by the Sandisk software. I couldn't get any further with it.
  6.    #66  
    What card was Vish using? P1 or San Disk?
    He's using v3.1, which is hacked T5 drivers, I believe, has to be a P1 card.

Confirmation: post 20 this thread.
  8.    #68  
    mathetesnj
    I finally found a San Disk wi-fi card that is in my area (in Canada),that I have ordered. If they ship it out right away, I may have it by the end of the week. Atleast then, we can test with both different cards no matter what drivers we can get our hands on. Things seem to have slowed down on the wi-fi 650 thread, but I hope they get back at it this week. I was really hoping we could atleast get your card to light up. When I get my hands on the San Disk card, I will put it through all of the tests you have already ran on the P1 card. I wonder if there is much diffence between the two cards. Do you have any more info on the power capabilities of the SDIO or is it still very vague?
    The card I was using was a P1 card. Am thinking of giving up on Wi-Fi for the Treo 600. Wondering now to again invest in a Treo 600 on eBay or just get some *ahem* Pocket PC phone....
    Aww c'mon Vish - why would you want to make it easy on yourself! Come back and play with us...
    --------------------------------
    Morrison,

I was hoping to get it to light, too - if it doesn't light, then I don't think there is any way to test the slot - according to sdio spec 1.0, the slot will only power the card fully if it recognizes and "accepts" the cards power requirements. If Vish's card was blinking/solid, than that did happen... I haven't been able to replicate.

Also, I don't believe there is any hardware diff between P1 and SD cards, just the ID info they feed the slot. The software/driver accepts or rejects based on that info, ala my results with those Sandisk drivers you linked last - you might get some results with your SD card.
    Bottom Line: WiFi won't work with the Treo. The carriers made sure of that!

Quote Originally Posted by drrjv

We don't know that yet.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  13.    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by drrjv

I agree with you to a point. I do beleive that there is carrier politics behind the lack of wi-fi on the Treo 600 and 650, but I am still not 100 percent convinced that it is a hardware issue. I must admit that the specs, info that we have come accross so far does not look great, but I beleive that wi-fi is possible. It just means that from a warranty standpoint, palm could not release the driver. We have seen that this is true of the Tungsten E. It does not officially support wi-fi as the specs are not rated high enough, yet it has been reported that some people have been using the driver for several months with no problems. San Disk just can't release the driver because of the sdio rating. There may already exsist a Treo 600 driver, but Palm may have made certian that it never leaked to the public like the Tungsten E driver did because they did not want to cause any problems with the carriers. I also beleve that things may change quickly come the new year and i would not be surprised if wi-fi is released for the Treo 650 atleast. With the release of the pocket pc's smart phones with bluetooth and wi-fi under certain carriers(sx66 cingular) , it may be difficult for carriers to keep pursuade palm to keep wi-fi off ot the Treo. Then we will truly see if hardware or politics was the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by morrisonmuscle
    With the release of the pocket pc's smart phones with bluetooth and wi-fi under certain carriers(sx66 cingular) , it may be difficult for carriers to keep pursuade palm to keep wi-fi off ot the Treo. Then we will truly see if hardware or politics was the issue.
    A number of people where I work have IPAQ phones with Bluetooth and WiFi. T-Mobile is the carrier.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    I don't buy the carrier conspiracy theory either. Sprint charges $15 a month flat for all you can eat data. With WiFi I'd still need my cellular data network for coverage, so it doesn't hurt them at all. T-Mobile already offers WiFi capable devices.

I think it is genuinely a power consumption issue. The only question is whether it is possible (but potentially battery-draining) or there is actually a maximum-power-to-SDIO-slot issue.

Perhaps somebody could contact PalmOne?
    OK, got the SD Card Extender today. Here's the link where I purchased it:

http://www.accurite.com/SDExtenderCard.html

As you can see from the attached photo's, it a pass-through with some dip switches, testing points, led's, etc.

I will probably have a chance to test the actual consumtion of the P1 card on the T3 sometime this afternoon or tomorrow morning as well as what, if anything, the 600 does with the card. I will test it with all of the various versions of drivers I tried before.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wow, that extender is quite expensive. Good luck to you guys working very hard to get this to work. When you do, this will be the biggest breakthrough for the T600. I'm routing for you.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    seems like all you need is to plug that baby into a treo and test it
    expensive solution,
    but nice work nevertheless
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    I don't buy the carrier conspiracy theory either. Sprint charges $15 a month flat for all you can eat data. With WiFi I'd still need my cellular data network for coverage, so it doesn't hurt them at all. T-Mobile already offers WiFi capable devices.
    Then why have Sprint and Verizon crippled the Bluetooth phones they offer?

If WiFi was available, there would be less reason to use phone-based data.

Re: T-Mobile - don't they sell WiFi all over the place (Starbucks, Borders Books, etc)?

mathetesnj

It's good to see that someboby (not PalmOne) is making some serious investment to make it happen.

I do belive that Wi-Fi vs GPRS is an "apples to oranges" comparison. For me I still have to find another place besides my office and home with hotspots while I can keep an alwas on connection via GPRS all the way in my home-office commute.

Keep it going, and if you need a mexican beta tester you can count me in, that is if I can afford that expensive Wi-Fi card, at least I've got a Treo 600 and free unlimited GPRS
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast