View Poll Results: How many times, if any, have you returned your T650?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • NONE

90 66.18%
  • 1 - returned it for replacement with another T650

20 14.71%
  • 1 - returned it and went back to T600, or your old phone, etc

21 15.44%

2 1.47%

1 0.74%

0 0%

2 1.47%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    actually, i've decided not to ignore. i've never ignored/killfiled anyone in the 18 years i've been on the internet, so why start now.
    18 years? Pluuze. Compuserve doesn't count.;-)
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    The TREO 600 poll similar to this one turned out to be an accurate reflection of The Real World (the now-infamous "Epidemic Failure clauses" that were triggered that PalmOne noted in their Annual Report).

I suspect THIS poll is also going to turn out to be an accurate reflection of Reality
    as i pointed out in the other thread, the vote for 'five returns' is likely bogus. the treo has been available for 19 days now. it would require a herculean, and most likely impossible effort to have returned T650's five times. someone is trying to hose up the results.

as i also noted previously here, but which you choose to ignore, is that the two different results for 'returned for another T650' and 'returned and went back to old phone' suggest two different return modes, one for an actual defect, and one for dissatisfaction. it is arguable whether you can lump them together; certainly it appears that you are doing just that. that's your privilege.

nevertheless, even correcting for the returns for dissatisfaction, the results suggest a high defect rate.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Zen_of_Palm
    And I invented the Internet. I've been online for 35 years, Mainly chatting with my good friend, BRAINIAC.
    LOL
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    18 years? Pluuze. Compuserve doesn't count.;-)
    please stop trolling.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Zen_of_Palm
    How puerile.

Back to the topic of the original post, if you don't mind:

As of 10:15 P.M. EST December 5, based on your poll, 39% (47/120) of phones received by respondents have been returned!!! If this is in ANY way reflective of the general market, the Treo 650 is a disaster. And HTC was supposed to fix Palm's quality control problems??? Wow.
    Upwards the percent climbs....yikes, and so soon....

It's deja vu all over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    please stop trolling.
    I'm not trolling...you are making outlandish comments. Sorry if you don't like being called on them.
    Upwards the percent climbs....yikes, and so soon....

It's deja vu all over again.

This is NOT good.

Can the Treocentral moderators "sticky" a DETAILED poll listing options as to how many phones have been returned + for what reason (memory issue, manufacturing defect, change of opinion, etc)? The ability to later change one's vote would make the poll even more useful.

This kind of real world feedback is why so many of us come to Treocentral and being able to access the results of a permanent poll without having to weed through countless threads would be helpful to the Treo community.

Hopefully I won't be banned for making this suggestion.
  8.    #68  
    I'm not trolling...you are making outlandish comments. Sorry if you don't like being called on them.
    so, are we to understand that you believe it's not possible for someone to have been on the internet in 1986? what exactly is 'outlandish' about that?

you're not making any sense whatsoever.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
  9.    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by TZoP
    This is NOT good.

Can the Treocentral moderators "sticky" a DETAILED poll listing options as to how many phones have been returned + for what reason (memory issue, manufacturing defect, change of opinion, etc)? The ability to later change one's vote would make the poll even more useful.

This kind of real world feedback is why so many of us come to Treocentral and being able to access the results of a permanent poll without having to weed through countless threads would be helpful to the Treo community.

Hopefully I won't be banned for making this suggestion.
    as has been pointed out by seldom visitor, because one cannot go back into a poll and update their number of returns, the polls will inherently be flawed. the polls available in vbulletin are just not sophisticated enough.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
  10.    #70  
    so, the poll is closed. for some reason, a certain population here is trumpeting that there's a '40%' return rate, and suggesting that's an incredibly high rate of defects.

they're free to interpret the numbers however they choose. my interpretation, based upon what people have said in the forums have been their reasons, is much different. go figure.

66.18% of respondents say they've never returned their T650. that's probably a reliable figure. i don't see it likely that anyone who has returned their T650 would vote that they hadn't - most people are pissed off when they have to return an expensive item.

14.71% say that they have returned their T650 and exchanged it for another. Those votes are almost certainly from people who experienced defects in the product - dead pixel, non-responsive keyboard letter, whatever. those who have been hit by the memory problem, due to huge contact databases et al, are highly unlikely to have returned their T650 in exchange for another - why would they, they'd have the exact same problem. so i think these numbers are reasonably reliable as well.

15.44% say they returned their T650 and did not get another - they went back either to their T600, or if not a previous owner, simply returned it for a refund. Those i think can reasonably be expected to be people who were hit by the memory problem, could not use the device, so ditched it. it is arguable whether those can be called 'returned for defect'. certainly, there's a faction here who believe that absolutely it is a manufacturing defect, so counts as 'bad units'. i rather strongly disagree - it is a _design_ defect, which is absolutely not in the same class as dead pixels or bad keyboards.

1.47% say they returned their T650 twice. as a flaw in the design of the poll, there's no way they could indicate whether they quit with the T650 after the second one, or got a third. oh well. likely at least one return was likely for physical defect.

.74% say they returned their T650 three times. i suppose it's possible to have done so in a matter of 19 days, but that's pushing the limits of the magic of overnight shipping for something that only hit stores in the last week. we'll never now.

two buffoons claim they have returned their T650 five times. sorry, i think it's safe to cast out the bottom, and i do mean the bottom. i don't see any possible merit in those two votes. others, i'm quite sure, disagree, as they have gleefully added those votes into their "38% is the same as 40%" claims.

The numbers are not as bad as they claim. The numbers however, are still bad. even the most optimistic reading is that something in the neighborhood of 20% of T650's have had manufacturing defect(s) requiring return. that's terrible.

another poll a few months down the road will help in interpreting these results.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234