Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone had any luck with finding out when the cameraless 650 is going to be available through Sprint? The closest I've got to an answer is "December." Anyone obtained a better timeframe than sometime this month?

All this talk of the 650 and I can't even get one yet
  2.    #2  
    Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by agrelck
    Anyone?
    guess not
  4.    #4  
    That's what it's looking like...
    December 15th is what I was told from tele-sales.
    Counting the days down day by day
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    why do you want a cameraless 650 for does it cost a lot less is it lighter ???
    I have a friend w/20+ years (now mgr) @ Chrysler & he says he would be fired if he brought a cam phone to work. He cannot even use s/w lockout. He simply cannot take the risk.

P1 needs to have some solution so he can have a cam on his own time. Maybe a removable threaded lens/blank cover. Act'l solution needs written policy approval @ Chryler highest management levels. P1/Sprint, it is your move...
    FastFrank
    I have a friend w/20+ years (now mgr) @ Chrysler & he says he would be fired if he brought a cam phone to work
    I am in the same boat, only with Ford. That is why I am patiently waiting for the cameraless model. The Treo 600/650 is a great tool for work, but only if I am allowed to bring it to work!

P1 needs to have some solution so he can have a cam on his own time. Maybe a removable threaded lens/blank cover.
    Trust me that will NOT fly with company security. Our directive states that if the device has a removable image device, even if you dont bring the image device, the whole unit is prohibited. Treo 650 cameraless get around that by not having a camera in the first place.

2 more weeks!
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Same here. Federal courts and many state courts will not allow the camera model.
  10.    #10  
    The Department of Defense frowns upon cameras in the workplace

So... two more weeks...
    sounds like that's a large market

its only corporate america...
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Anyone else find it ironic that a phone that is supposedly aimed at "business" cannot be used by most of corporate America? I'd be willing to bet even Palm has a no-camera policy. You'd think the cammeraless model would be available sooner. *sigh* And so we wait....
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Are you with a headquarters element with DoD? I'm surprised they even allow phones period. I'm on a detail to an Agency in the DC area and we can't bring phones into the building period. Cameras are also out, as are any PDAs with voice recording capabilities. Basically anything that transmits is out...I run a risk just bringing the thing onto the compound period. Back at Ft. Lewis I can't recall if there's a restriction on phones or cameras, though I'm sure there must be. I've never had reason to bring a cell phone on base.

Quote Originally Posted by agrelck
    The Department of Defense frowns upon cameras in the workplace

So... two more weeks...
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
  14.    #14  
    No, I work for a (very large) contractor... I'm surprised I can bring a phone in at all, too.

Quote Originally Posted by 1SFG
    Are you with a headquarters element with DoD? I'm surprised they even allow phones period. I'm on a detail to an Agency in the DC area and we can't bring phones into the building period. Cameras are also out, as are any PDAs with voice recording capabilities. Basically anything that transmits is out...I run a risk just bringing the thing onto the compound period. Back at Ft. Lewis I can't recall if there's a restriction on phones or cameras, though I'm sure there must be. I've never had reason to bring a cell phone on base.
    I'm on a detail to an Agency in the DC area and we can't bring phones into the building period. Cameras are also out, as are any PDAs with voice recording capabilities. Basically anything that transmits is out...I run a risk just bringing the thing onto the compound period.
    What goes around, comes around.

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...8&postcount=30

Giggle.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    seldom, that sounds about right. i'm in a catch 22 in that my current cell and the new one (the soon to be in my hands 650) both have built in cameras. for that reason though, they stay in the car. on one occasion i managed to get inside the building, realized i had it and brought it back to the front desk and had them bag it and hold it for me. i don't disagree with the policy at all - definitely a good thing in my line of business to strictly monitor any commo leaving the building. Of 650 importance though, it makes me wonder whether upgrading my plan to include one of sprint's vision options makes any sense, since when i'm conus i'm usually in the building 50-60 hours per week while the phone sits in the car, or out in the field training, where cell phones and bullets don't usually get along...

As for NSA - ha! I'm not surprised - but then again given the work they do up there at the Fort, I'm not surprised they would clamp down on anything remotely capable of transmitting. A bunch of people running around SIGINT feeds with cell phones or transmission devices equals bad news. I can just think of all the E.O. 12333 violations that could happen if some a$$ used his cell phone or pda to record some of their takes as a prank or for more devious reasons...

For people who are coming from camera less 600's, did the lack of a camera result in any noticeable increase in memory or speed? Wondering how much speed, etc one gains without the added apps.
    Last edited by 1SFG; 12/05/2004 at 09:22 PM.
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    Is there a price difference at all, that is my question i really don't need a camera and if its cheaper i will take mine back and the camerless.. less money for something i would barley ever use
    There is no price difference or speed difference it just allows people to own treo 600/650s in camera free workzones.
    car_designer
    As for NSA - ha! I'm not surprised - but then again given the work they do up there at the Fort, I'm not surprised they would clamp down on anything remotely capable of transmitting.
    The "Furbie" (Furby?) example was a classic - a toy that "listened" to what you said then spit SOMETHING back that sounds sorta like a response - because it "heard" it was right out!

Was a very popular "stuffed animal", too, for the admin assistant folks.

BTW - there were NUMEROUS fanatics here on TreoCentral who simply didn't believe that (1) security departments could ban cameraphones and (2) that they couldn't get away with (with no penalty) taking their TREO 600 into work anyway!
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Yea, well... The "NUMEROUS fanatics here on TreoCentral who simply didn't believe..." are calling the world flat, imho.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast