Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Turning off Keyguard didn't help me either. As the end of my 30 days approaches it's looking more and more like this one's going back.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Does anyone actually have this work as it should (or did on the Treo 600)?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Does anyone actually have this work as it should (or did on the Treo 600)?
    I have seen some improvements since my previous post. My 650 is no longer resetting itself 5-6 times a day. After completely erasing the phone and reinstalling everything piece by piece I have acheived a some what stable setup. Now, it only reboots every other day and the auto sync works for most of the day if I soft reset the phone or pull the battery out. It is still not autofetching email every 5 minutes like it should without a reboot for days at a time. Did palm ever test this feature for more than half a day? I signed up for an exchange account with 1and1.com and the account works flawlesly. If I could only get this versa mail application to become stable I would be really happy with my setup. Of course I could use snapper but it does not run in the background like versamail and I really like the fact that versa mail displays the number of emails in the inbox on the phone screen. Why does snapper mail do automatic checking better than versa mail? Snapper mail is a 3rd party application and Versamail is built into the ROM of the &^%&*&^ Treo! You would think that Palm has a little more insight into how to build a mail application into their own device with software developed by the same company! Anyway, atleast my phone is not rebooting 7 times a day but I can't say it wasn't painful getting it to stop. I spent an entire weekend adding one thing at a time waiting hours to see if it would reboot by itself. I cannot wait for a firmware upgrade for this thing. Also there are at least two bugs I have found in versa mail and it's not just me. I am a software tester by profession and these are definately bugs. However, I will post these in another thread.
    I was having this problem as well. What fixed it for me was going into account details, and clicking thru the screens, as if setting up the account (going into advanced settings and all, but not changing anything).

Guess it "tricked" my 650 into thinking I "fixed" my account. After doing this, all is well.

I have no idea how this worked (w/a Gmail acct btw).
    For what its worth I have been using SnapperMail since I got my 650 two weeks ago and have no problems. It retrieves from my company IMAP account with no problems. I have it set at 15 min intervals.

Bill...
    Well, this is frustrating. I just hard reset my 650 a few days ago and reinstalled practically nothing. I think the only internal 3rd party app I've got is KeyCaps600 and SnapperMail. Auto-fetch still isn't working for me. I even tried disabling KeyCaps600 and that didn't help. It's possible that my older version of SnapperMail isn't fully 650-compatible, but then why would VersaMail work poorly as well? I guess I may try another hard reset and configure only VersaMail and see how that goes. This is ridiculous.

Scott
    Setting up and getting an email account to do what it is supposed to do by far, has been my biggest pain with the 650. Finally got Versa setup to work both ways, but it doesn't fetch properly.

Finally got Snapper setup and it fetches fine but sending attachments seems to be an issue.

Didn't really understand Chatter, so I have all three programs on my unit. Oh well.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  8.    #28  
    43 Days into owning my Treo 650. Great screen! But still no autofetch on my Versamail.

Has ANYONE come up with a fix? I have hard reset dozens of times. I have tried running versamail without any other apps installed. Versamail will autosync- just not consistantly. I checked out other email apps like snappermail but I don't like the interface as much as Versamail.
    If I'm sitting in the browser the auto-sync does not work for me. Other than that it seems to work...
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by TimPhillips
    If I'm sitting in the browser the auto-sync does not work for me. Other than that it seems to work...
    How about if your Treo is sitting idle (screen off)? If you have it set to sync every 15 min or evey hour- is it syncing every 15 min or every hour?
    I think the problem may be related to the frequent Vision drops. FWIW, I happened to do a hard reset yesterday (after multiple attempts to get Wi-Fi working) and didn't bother to reconfigure VersaMail today. I went to do a bit of web browsing periodically during the day and was greeted with a Vision sign-on each time. So it looks like VersaMail is not the cause of the Vision drops, but it may very well be a victim of them. I suspect that it isn't smart enough to automatically log back into Vision (during its auto-fetch process) when it gets dropped while other apps are.

Scott
    I don't think it is strictly related to Vision connectivity because I changed my settings to sync every 15 minutes, manually connected to Vision (through the Network pref panel), then waited more than 30 minutes expecting my new messages to appear in VersaMail. The gray connection arrows that symbolize an idle Vision connection remained intact through the entire period and VersaMail still could not do its autosync thing.

I'm using ActiveSync to an Exchange server.

I have glimmers of how this should work and I get momentarily excited about the possibilities, but then my calendar won't sync, or my mail won't autosync, or I have to delete the entire account on the Treo and start over, and I think this is just so sad.
    Someone (sorry, I forget who) suggested that I set up VersaMail via the desktop app, and I *think* that may have fixed my problem. Today it was auto-fetching email throughout the day, just as it ought to. Perhaps there's hope.

Scott
    Scratch that. I guess I jinxed myself. Today auto-fetch was irregular.

Scott
    Today was another bad day for auto-fetch. OK, so are we really in the minority here? I'm surprised that this isn't a hot topic. FWIW, I'm just using a regular old POP3 account. The only thing somewhat irregular (I guess) is that I have to use my username and password for the outgoing server as well. Manual sync pretty much always works, though, so I don't see why any of that should have anything to do with my problem. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and pay for the Snappermail upgrade. This is ridiculous. I don't have sophisticated email needs. All I want is something that "just works" like the email app that comes with the Treo 600.

Scott
    I have had a couple of days of success that originated with hard-resetting my phone, reloading selected apps to narrow down incompatibility problems, and then turning OFF the VersaMail conduit in HotSync. I configured all five of my email accounts directly on the Treo and cut my autofetch back to 30 minutes.

My favorite candidate for an explanation of any early success (not that I'm holding my breath, mind you--I'm completely expecting to follow this up with a post about my short-lived joy) relates to setting the VersaMail conduit to do nothing. We'll see.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdonough
    My favorite candidate for an explanation of any early success (not that I'm holding my breath, mind you--I'm completely expecting to follow this up with a post about my short-lived joy) relates to setting the VersaMail conduit to do nothing. We'll see.
    been there...
    done that...
    done everything..

the only thing cosistant about versamail auto-fetching is that it is consistantly unconsistant. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...ies/tongue.gif ha..

I too wonder why everyone is not complaining about this?
    I have also found that VersaMail does not seem to do auto-fetch in any kind of predictable way.

I have it set up to fetch from 3 email accounts: 2 POP and 1 IMAP Exchange server behind firewall through recommended Mergic VPN client. In no case do I get consistent autofetching (though I do find surprises several times a day in all the accounts).

Even more annoying is that occasionally (perhaps 1 in 4 times) the combination of Sprint Vision, Treo, Mergic and VersaMail will conspire to not completely activate so that either the Vision data link will not come up and so Mergic will time out on its connection attempt OR VersaMail does not activate Mergic on an active Vision link and times out looking for a server address that does not exist without the tunnel.

Sigh.

Amateurs.

K

Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 ->
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    OK, so are we really in the minority here? I'm surprised that this isn't a hot topic.
    Scott
    I wrote the forum owners here yesterday requesting they set up a separate forum category specifically focused on the Versamail/Activesync component of the Treo 650.

This supposed functionality is the keystone of corporate implementation of this device. If it doesn't work, there are a bunch of us that need to return our equipment and move on.

I want to consolidate all threads on activesyncing into one place so that we can begin effective troubleshooting AND get the attention of PalmOne!

If anyone agrees, perhaps you could make your concerns known...
    I think it's enough to warrant it's on sub-forum under software or something. I still haven't figured it out. I'm just at the point of living without, which means that most of the time, I've taken a huge step down from my Treo 600.

I've been so frustrated by this problem, that I don't come to TreoCentral that much any more. I found that there was a Sound Quality patch with nearly as many posts as the Wifi, but I've found that my SQ is pretty good, so I don't want to mess with that.

I'm hoping that somehow this all gets fixed by Palm sometime soon. I would have expected an update by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I'm hoping that somehow this all gets fixed by Palm sometime soon. I would have expected an update by now.
    DITTO!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast