Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    A long time Palm (US Robotics) user that has had a 600 for the last year+...

I got my 650 last week from Sprint. Complete disaster. Very disappointed in PalmOne. Activation with Sprint was pretty easy and painless, but the memory issues with the phone are horrible.

On first attempt to sync with my "600 set-up" the phone reached it's memory limit and (instead of a friendly "out of memory" message) it was sent into a looping reset cycle. The only way out of the looping reset cycle was a COLD reset.

After deleting/moving all of the apps except my core phone book, email, schedule I was able to successfully sync with a remaining 500k left in memory. I don't consider myself a "power user", but I do have about 3000 contancts, a full schedule, two dozen notes and email (using Bus Connect with 25 items only). The only other app I have installed is Splash Photo taking up 1M. This is far from all the app hungry power users on this board.

Set with my new toy I decided to snap a few pictures on Thanksgiving to show off the 650. On the 6th photo I took I hit the memory limit sending the device into a reset spiral and the only way out was a COLD reset (thank you PalmOne for making me delete all my photos and phone-side updates).

The next day I spent the hour rebuilding and resyncing to get me back to a "fully loaded state". The next day I added a number of "memos" in outlook with some flight information. When I went to sync that night those memos put me over the top and put the phone into the reset-spiral... RRRR! Another hour later and jiggering applications and I was back to fully-loaded. What a nightmare! Time to send it back! I never ran out of memory on my 600 and when I did it just gave me a friendly message.

After 6 days of using the 650 here is why I am sending it back to Sprint:

1. Severe memory limitations
    2. Reset hell if you hit the memory limit (requires COLD reset)
    3. Response problems - when I select a "favorite" to dial... it often takes 2-4 seconds to respond and start dialing... causing me to think I didn't hit the button and then I hit it again and it causes all kinds of type-ahead issues.
    4. The blazer browser has issues - There are three sites that I go to regularly and Blazer has trouble displaying some of the JPG images on these sites. It also doesn't do as good a job "optimizing" pages (sig alert as an example)

Other concerns, but not severe:

5. The new "favorites" navigation/UI is poor on the 650 compared to the 600.
    6. If you are used to the 600 the behavior of the phone "ON" and "END" buttons is not intuitive. I find myselff accidentally calling people and/or hanging up on people all the time (e.g., browsing contacts and you want to return to the phone... press the phone key and now you are dialing...)
    7. My wife complains that the my voice quality on the new phone is not very good (conflicting with other positive reviews??)

If you are 600 user I would not recommend upgrading yet. Hold off until these fundamental problems get fixed. The upside to the upgrade is not very significant and doesn't justify the $$$$$. The only "improvements" or benefits that I found were as follows:

- High quality screen: very nice display
    - Better camera - much better quality camera with video, but still 640x480 and NO MEMORY to save your photos
    - BlueTooth: Nice to have at best... the headsets all suck, so unless you have BT in your car or a compelling reason this isn't a big deal for the average Joe
    - New buttons: For the average 600 user these are more confusing than good
    - Better Keyboard: marginally better at best
    - Faster CPU: with slower overall response time than the 600... go figure!

I am sending the unit back. I still love the Treo, but they need to get the kinks worked out of the 650.
    Sorry you had so many problems, but I think some of them could have been avoided if you hadn't synced your 600 data over and instead followed palms instructions that are listed here in the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    Sorry you had so many problems, but I think some of them could have been avoided if you hadn't synced your 600 data over and instead followed palms instructions that are listed here in the forum.
    I agree here. I totally took off all of my 600 data before syncing my new 650. Although I had some issues with my email attachments, (only had the unit for one day but would not rest until I got it working) and that problem was resolved today and I am very pleased with the unit.

I think there will be a patch or update and we will have the glitches corrected then.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Well if you were only syncing your PIM data and Splash photo you would not have had a problem at all. Me thinks you were syncing everything that you had in your old 600 which everyone has already told you is a bad idea.

I find it odd that your one and only post is a complaint and mimics almost exactly what about a dozen people have already said. Does anyone else think TC has been invaded by some trolls?
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtreo
    The only "improvements" or benefits that I found were as follows:
    - BlueTooth: Nice to have at best... the headsets all suck, so unless you have BT in your car or a compelling reason this isn't a big deal for the average Joe
    And I understand that even this doesn't work in many cars with bluetooth.
    Yes that's right. How dare you try to sync your 600 data to the newly improved 650. Haven't you been reading that the newly improved 650 can not hold as much data as the 600. What's wrong with you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JTREOB
    Yes that's right. How dare you try to sync your 600 data to the newly improved 650. Haven't you been reading that the newly improved 650 can not hold as much data as the 600. What's wrong with you?
    a user ignores the USAGE INSTRUCTIONS at their own peril.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    I agree, if this was 2 weeks ago I would understand. My computer is in the shop and when it comes back, I am doing a fresh clean install and following the rest of the provided instructions
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtreo
    A long time Palm (US Robotics) user that has had a 600 for the last year+...

I got my 650 last week from Sprint. Complete disaster. Very disappointed in PalmOne. Activation with Sprint was pretty easy and painless, but the memory issues with the phone are horrible.

On first attempt to sync with my "600 set-up" the phone reached it's memory limit and (instead of a friendly "out of memory" message) it was sent into a looping reset cycle. The only way out of the looping reset cycle was a COLD reset.

After deleting/moving all of the apps except my core phone book, email, schedule I was able to successfully sync with a remaining 500k left in memory. I don't consider myself a "power user", but I do have about 3000 contancts, a full schedule, two dozen notes and email (using Bus Connect with 25 items only). The only other app I have installed is Splash Photo taking up 1M. This is far from all the app hungry power users on this board.

Set with my new toy I decided to snap a few pictures on Thanksgiving to show off the 650. On the 6th photo I took I hit the memory limit sending the device into a reset spiral and the only way out was a COLD reset (thank you PalmOne for making me delete all my photos and phone-side updates).

The next day I spent the hour rebuilding and resyncing to get me back to a "fully loaded state". The next day I added a number of "memos" in outlook with some flight information. When I went to sync that night those memos put me over the top and put the phone into the reset-spiral... RRRR! Another hour later and jiggering applications and I was back to fully-loaded. What a nightmare! Time to send it back! I never ran out of memory on my 600 and when I did it just gave me a friendly message.

After 6 days of using the 650 here is why I am sending it back to Sprint:

1. Severe memory limitations
    2. Reset hell if you hit the memory limit (requires COLD reset)
    3. Response problems - when I select a "favorite" to dial... it often takes 2-4 seconds to respond and start dialing... causing me to think I didn't hit the button and then I hit it again and it causes all kinds of type-ahead issues.
    4. The blazer browser has issues - There are three sites that I go to regularly and Blazer has trouble displaying some of the JPG images on these sites. It also doesn't do as good a job "optimizing" pages (sig alert as an example)

Other concerns, but not severe:

5. The new "favorites" navigation/UI is poor on the 650 compared to the 600.
    6. If you are used to the 600 the behavior of the phone "ON" and "END" buttons is not intuitive. I find myselff accidentally calling people and/or hanging up on people all the time (e.g., browsing contacts and you want to return to the phone... press the phone key and now you are dialing...)
    7. My wife complains that the my voice quality on the new phone is not very good (conflicting with other positive reviews??)

If you are 600 user I would not recommend upgrading yet. Hold off until these fundamental problems get fixed. The upside to the upgrade is not very significant and doesn't justify the $$$$$. The only "improvements" or benefits that I found were as follows:

- High quality screen: very nice display
    - Better camera - much better quality camera with video, but still 640x480 and NO MEMORY to save your photos
    - New buttons: For the average 600 user these are more confusing than good
    - Better Keyboard: marginally better at best
    - Faster CPU: with slower overall response time than the 600... go figure!

I am sending the unit back. I still love the Treo, but they need to get the kinks worked out of the 650.

UPS picked mine up yesterday, we are tpday a "Divided" community of Treo users

The "Red" Camp will rationalize anything to keep their precious 650

The "Blue" camp realizes thatfor $600 one deserves their monies worth and will not "compromis"
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    You forgot the battery on the list of "improvements" (implying none of these improvements really are?)

I was upgrading from 300 instead of 600, so I can't personally vouch for cost/benefit of that upgrade. Being able to carry a spare battery is a huge value added feature to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleibow
    UPS picked mine up yesterday, we are tpday a "Divided" community of Treo users

The "Red" Camp will rationalize anything to keep their precious 650

The "Blue" camp realizes thatfor $600 one deserves their monies worth and will not "compromis"

I think both "camps" are a bit extreme, no?

I, for one, am new to the TREO family and am not a major Power User. I have VERY few 3rd party aps, only a few hundred contacts, etc.

Fortunately for me, I haven't experienced the issues most of the people on this board have. (Knock on wood) So I am quiet content with my device. I'm not "rationalizing" - I just happen to like my new device compared to the candy bar phone I was using prior (the Sanyo 4900).
    Why is it so hard to stay on point here. The units being returned do to the fat memory issue and not whether one has read instructions. Reading instructions doesn't change the 650's inherant problems.Try to stay on point.
    outside of the "Blue" and "red" arguement, we are staying on point. Here is a user who failed to follow numerous instructions and synced application data and preferrences from an olded, different device and is now surprised he is having trouble. I'm not surprised. Are you?

When I upgraded from my m515 to my T3 I had to start over to avoid appl. problems and resets. This is expected and certainly not new.

If you are not willing to follow directions and only plan to complain about the results I suggest you return it and hit the road.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
    What I read from this thread, is the following hypothesis:
    When you enlarge a database in cache memory so much that it can no longer be written back to flash, the Treo 650 falls into a infinite reset loop. Is somebody willing to test it? E.g., by filling up the internal memory with camera images and checking whether it causes the loop.
    If this hypothesis turns out to be true, then this is a major blunder, much worse than the uncomfortably low memory limit. After all, this causes you to loose your data, and that only because there was not enough space to put in another item.
    In other words, you must always be careful to prevent a low memory situation on the 650, because that could kill off your valuable data. Not a situation I would want to be in...
    If true- how ironic would that be?

Go with non-valatile memory because they thought it was important enough not to lose data. But if you fill up your non-volatile memory- look out. Data gone!

IMO- NV Memory and removal battery was a complete waste. The removal battery makes the unit feel cheap (ie- the removable back) and enough said on the NV memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by perry_rob
    Here is a user who failed to follow numerous instructions and synced application data and preferrences from an olded, different device and is now surprised he is having trouble. I'm not surprised. Are you?
    That is nothing more than speculation, "red".

PALM THEMSLEVES ADMITTED AT THE ROAD SHOW THE DEVICE DID NOT HAVE ENOUGH MEMORY! Peter himself said he was dissapointed.

You are missing the point. If the device functioned adequately he would not have had anywhere near as many issues. Hence the 6th picture knocking the device into a reset loop. That is rediculous!

The treo is supposed to be a productivity tool. The problem is that a prerequesite of having a 650 is that it must be a hobby as well. This device is not going to appeal to the vast majority of useres out there after they realize the workarounds that are neccessary to make it function.

Palm One looses...

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    robber,

I have a 650. It functions much more than adequately. It is not a hobby. I follow instructions.

And I'll bet you a Treo 700 (or whatever) that the masses will buy this phone up. I dare you to take the bet.

Thanks for your usual, negative, nay-saying and condisending opinion, "Blue." (if you want to bring politics into this we can take this outside to the off topic section if you like)

- Rob
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
    You guys are all missing the point.
    There is no argument that there are memory issues with this phone, however a good deal of many users problems are that they just plug the 650 into their computer and hotsync their data and programs and the 600s preferences and so forth over. This is not a recommended procedure with any previous palm device and only compounds any issues that may be caused by the memory issues.
    I agree with a lot of what the original poster stated, except that if he did not follow the instructions he was asking for trouble. However, I followed the instructions, did a clean install and still run into a great deal of problems one day, and none the next, then more another day. All without changing settings or adding or deleting files or programs! So I would say there are some issues with this phone but I think that it is something I can work at because I have the apptitude and attitude to do so. But it does suck because It shouldn't be this hard and it should work better for the price being paid for it.
    Nobody Died when Clinton Lied!!
    Quote Originally Posted by perry_rob
    outside of the "Blue" and "red" arguement, we are staying on point. Here is a user who failed to follow numerous instructions and synced application data and preferrences from an olded, different device and is now surprised he is having trouble. I'm not surprised. Are you?

When I upgraded from my m515 to my T3 I had to start over to avoid appl. problems and resets. This is expected and certainly not new.

If you are not willing to follow directions and only plan to complain about the results I suggest you return it and hit the road.
    Upgrading from m515 to T3 is a quite a bit different. Again, the problems resulted from the lack of memory on the 650 not from ignoring instructions, which was suggested by another pollster who like yourself is purely speculating and ignoring the real issue.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast