Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Has anyone else with a 650 tested to see if the phone goes into a reboot loop if the memory is completly used? I would like to know if this is repeatable from any "verified" users.
    Quote Originally Posted by perry_rob
    robber,

I have a 650. It functions much more than adequately. It is not a hobby. I follow instructions.

And I'll bet you a Treo 700 (or whatever) that the masses will buy this phone up. I dare you to take the bet.

Thanks for your usual, negative, nay-saying and condisending opinion, "Blue." (if you want to bring politics into this we can take this outside to the off topic section if you like)

- Rob

Think about what you're saying. For a small PDA device people are expected to follow arcane instructions just to safegaurd their data. The customers are not going to look at it as who can be the "best obedient" consumer. They're going to look at it in terms of which devices safegaurd their data and which do not. As it stands PalmOS devices do not safegaurd people's data. Instead of making the process of upgrading from one Palm OS device to another seamless, Palm has basically said to its consumer base "you're on you're own." Meanwhile PocketPC and Blackberry devices take much better care of the customer's data.

But hey if you lose your data on a Palm OS device its your fault. Thats the new thinking now. Afterall, you didn't read the instructions. Meanwhile Palm's marketshare continues to decline.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    No conspiracy going on here. I am a long time reader, but first time poster. I was so excited to pre-order and get my 650 that when it came and I had a miserable experience and I felt compelled to warn others...

I would be interested to see what happens to other 650's when they run out of memory. I probably would not have had a horrible experience and returned it if the unit did not go into a reset spiral (and force me to cold reset) when it hit it's memory limit. Can someone else fill theirs up and let us know if this is standard?

Also, I did read the instructions and I did wipe out 85% of my 600 applications before the first sync... the unit just doesn't have enough memory (I think that's been stipulated)

The battery was my miss. That is definately an improvement. Although I never bought another battery, so I didn't get to enjoy the benefit.

I've been back to my 600 for 4 days now and I am happy as a clam!

-Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtreo
    No conspiracy going on here. I am a long time reader, but first time poster. I was so excited to pre-order and get my 650 that when it came and I had a miserable experience and I felt compelled to warn others...

I would be interested to see what happens to other 650's when they run out of memory. I probably would not have had a horrible experience and returned it if the unit did not go into a reset spiral (and force me to cold reset) when it hit it's memory limit. Can someone else fill theirs up and let us know if this is standard?

Also, I did read the instructions and I did wipe out 85% of my 600 applications before the first sync... the unit just doesn't have enough memory (I think that's been stipulated)

The battery was my miss. That is definately an improvement. Although I never bought another battery, so I didn't get to enjoy the benefit.

I've been back to my 600 for 4 days now and I am happy as a clam!

-Mike
    Wow. If this crashing at low memory states is a standard, reproducible bug, Palm needs to recall these phones and work out the bugs ASAP. The new NAND flash sounds like the worst possible choice Palm could have made.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    So has any other 650 owner maxed out on memory yet? What happend?

My Treo 650 gave me a very nice "low memory warning", but when I hit the max it went into a reset spiral...

Can someone try and recreate?
    On first attempt to sync with my "600 set-up" the phone reached it's memory limit and (instead of a friendly "out of memory" message) it was sent into a looping reset cycle. The only way out of the looping reset cycle was a COLD reset.
    Set with my new toy I decided to snap a few pictures on Thanksgiving to show off the 650. On the 6th photo I took I hit the memory limit sending the device into a reset spiral and the only way out was a COLD reset (thank you PalmOne for making me delete all my photos and phone-side updates).
    If this is true, this could be an extremely embarrasing... humiliating failure. As much as part of me kinda secretly wants this to be true (in some weird twisted way?), I hope this is not the case, as it would just be a devastating debacle to the already large number of problems and disappointments.

- BlueTooth: Nice to have at best... the headsets all suck, so unless you have BT in your car or a compelling reason this isn't a big deal for the average Joe
    To be fair (to the headset makers), it isn't the headsets that suck, it's Palm implementation of Bluetooth.

Please, someone, DO verify...
    I just HotSynced the VoiceDial app on my 650, and when I went to try it out, it was at the Palm loading screen. I figured the app required the Treo to reset in order to properly "integrate" itself. Well, after a never-ending loop of OS resets, I unplugged the battery. Went to TreoCentral, searched for reset loop, and up comes this thread. I knew I was close to the memory limit, but the HotSync manager didn't caution/warn me that installing this program would put me over. So yes, its confirmed. I haven't cold-reset yet, and I'm not sure how much data won't be restored with a HotSync, but this is _very_ frustrating.

I won't be returning my 650, as this is the first roadblock I've hit in the week I've had my 650, but my praise for the device just got knocked down a few pegs.

- Chris
    To be fair, the VoiceDial app is actually VoiceDialInstaller. It runs an installation which must use more memory space than the installer itself. There would be no way for the Hotsync app to warn you about this.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Why does there have to be 'special guidelines' to upgrade.

One should:
    1. Buy new 650
    2. Charge it
    3. Sync it
    4. Use it

Well, that's how it normally works in the real-world but it seems P1 are living in a world of their own
    www.gsmworld.com
    Quote Originally Posted by nzmoko
    Why does there have to be 'special guidelines' to upgrade.

One should:
    1. Buy new 650
    2. Charge it
    3. Sync it
    4. Use it

Well, that's how it normally works in the real-world but it seems P1 are living in a world of their own

You are SOOOOOOOO right, I cannot understand why anyone is putting up with this!!!! Are we that desperate for our new TOY??
    NZMOKO,
    Absolutely correct........
    Waiting for GSM T650.
    Have been following almost all the post since T 650 became available, and this in my view is the simplest explanation of what is expected of a good, reliable smart phone.
    IMHO,I do n't want to beta test a 600 dollar device.
    Most average joe users, do not have the time, energy and patience to put up with the solutions proposed.
    At the end of the day functionality takes over everything else for me.
    I hope P1 will do something concrete by the time GSM units are available else will continue with goodold T600.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12