1.    #1  
    Having used my Visor for just over a week now, I find myself wondering if there's a significant distinction between floating datebook entries and plain-old undated to-do items. There really doesn't seem to be any that I can discern, so I'm thinking maybe I'll assign my to-do button to a different app and use the datebook exclusively. Pros? Cons?
    There are a few differences. A floating event is kind of a cross between a to-do item and an appointment.

Floating events:
    1. Can be assigned a specific time, like appointments.
    2. Cannot be categorized or prioritized.

To-dos:
    1. Can be assigned a due date.
    2. Can be assigned a priority.
    3. In DateBook+, can be set to disappear when checked off.
    4. In DateBook+, can be filtered by category, priority, or due date.

If you use DateBook+, as I do, you can just have your to-do items show up in your datebook anyway. The only reason I really use the To Do app is because I have DateBook+ configured to display only certain categories of to-do items, and sometimes I want to quickly look at all items. I think floating events make sense when you have something that SHOULD happen on a certain day, but there is a fair probability that it will be put off to the next day.

BTW, if you are not using DateBook+ as your default datebook, I would highly recommend it. I really have no idea why anyone would prefer the basic DateBook over DateBook+.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, ronbot -- That's a very clear & detailed explanation! I feel the same about Datebook+ ... I was just imprecise in my original post.

This evening another (related) reason to use To-Dos made itself apparent: I've loaded up TealGlance, and find the ability to define Primary/Alternate times & categories to be very handy!
    Here's another question about floating events: if you don't choose the "Float Advance at Midnight" preference, do your floating events advance to the next time you turn on the Visor, or do they get stuck where they are? Common sense would say the former.