Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52
  1.    #1  
    Anyone have a Treo 650 working with mapopolis and a bluetooth GPS receiver? If so, please post the model so we know which works....

    thanks...
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fikse
    Anyone have a Treo 650 working with mapopolis and a bluetooth GPS receiver? If so, please post the model so we know which works....

    thanks...
    Semsons' support told me that any Bluetooth GPS receiver will work with the 650. I am supposed to receive a Holux GR-230 today. I will post my experiences with it.
  3. #3  
    I've been using my GlobalSat Bt-308 with mapopolis and it works fine.
  4. #4  
    do any of these GPS solutions have voice directions?
  5. #5  
    Can't speak for all of them, but I use Mapopolis and it does have voice directions.

    Any package from Semsons appears to include Mapopolis.

    Anybody use any package but Mapopolis successfully on the Treo?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    Can't speak for all of them, but I use Mapopolis and it does have voice directions.

    Any package from Semsons appears to include Mapopolis.

    Anybody use any package but Mapopolis successfully on the Treo?

    I would like to try TomTom but cant find it without it being bundled with a gps receiver. What are the other GPS mapping apps for the palm?
  7. #7  
    I've used both Mapopolis and now I have the Tom Tom stuff. They aren't even close in functionality and polish. Tom Tom wins hands down.
  8.    #8  
    how about tom tom vs navman?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by TimPhillips
    I've used both Mapopolis and now I have the Tom Tom stuff. They aren't even close in functionality and polish. Tom Tom wins hands down.
    I tried both as well, and liked Tom Tom better, but they will not sell you the PalmOS software separately. I already had a GPS, so I bought Mapopolis instead. I'm very happy with it.
  10. #10  
    It looks like they're going to, it's just not available yet.
  11. #11  
    I am using the Navman 4460 BT GPS with Mapopolis and am very satisfied.

    http://www.navman.com/land/products/gps4460/index.html

    It comes with it's own Palm OS 5 software as well, but it has issues on the 650, and anyway it was clear to me that I prefer Mapopolis before I got to the quirky parts.

    It also comes with a suction windshield mount, the car power adapter, and a windshield mount for your handheld. Not bad for $198.00 (best price I found for it on the web).

    Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
  12. #12  
    This refers to the PPC version, which has been available in a software-only bundle for some time. When they announced TomTom for the Palm, there was mention of a software-only package "sometime", but it still hasn't materialized.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    I tried both as well, and liked Tom Tom better, but they will not sell you the PalmOS software separately. I already had a GPS, so I bought Mapopolis instead. I'm very happy with it.
    JimF,

    When you said you tried TOMTOM, did you say on your palm Treo 650? Since the TOMTOM website says it is only compatible with T3 (bigger screen), I quite hesitated to buy it. I am looking for a GPS set for my new Treo 650. The Mapopolis looks fine, but I don't like the format of screen display.
  14. #14  
    I tried my 650 with Mapopolis and Holux GR-230. It worked nicely.

    However, there is one problem I'm looking for a solution for: when the phone rings, and I answer it, the Treo gets confused about the status of its Bluetooth connection. It behaves as it's not connected to anything (i.e., it lost the connection), but when I try to connect it again it is unable to connect. The only solution I found for this is resetting it.

    I think the problem is that the phone tries to make the BT connection available for a headset when the phone rings, and that causes the problem.

    Anyone else experienced something like this?
  15. #15  
    I tried it on my T3, and I'm currently using Mapopolis on the same device. I haven't gotten a 650 yet, waiting for the GSM model.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    I tried my 650 with Mapopolis and Holux GR-230. It worked nicely.

    However, there is one problem I'm looking for a solution for: when the phone rings, and I answer it, the Treo gets confused about the status of its Bluetooth connection. It behaves as it's not connected to anything (i.e., it lost the connection), but when I try to connect it again it is unable to connect. The only solution I found for this is resetting it.

    I think the problem is that the phone tries to make the BT connection available for a headset when the phone rings, and that causes the problem.

    Anyone else experienced something like this?
    Sounds like a glitch to me. It doesn't make sense to grab Bluetooth unless a headset is currently paired with the phone, and the device can check the current paired list without dropping the BT pairings.

    I don't know if this will help or not, but Mapopolis has an option to automatically re-pair with the last GPS device when you restart the app. I use this on long trips, when I have to periodically switch out to another PIM app and then back to Mapopolis. If the 650 truly can't repair with the GPS until it's reset, this won't help, but worth trying.
  17. #17  
    I would like to use a gps receiver with both PC/Mac and the 650. Will the Holux work over blue tooth to both? What about others?
  18. #18  
    I am very interested in GPS for my treo 650 but isn't too slow to use the treo 650 with any GPS? How much is the additional cost to have GPS operating including the receiver and the software. Can anybody please tell me? Thanks very much.
  19. #19  
    I want to try Bluetooth Wireless Earthmate GPS PowerPack but i am afraid it might not work http://delorme.com/earthmate/bluetooth.asp . Not giving it away but it says it works with tre 600 just wonder if it will with the 650, emailed them and said they don't know. Would be a bit cheaper because i already own the version for my laptop just need the BT powerepack. But don;t want to buy it and not be able to use it. Anybody have this???
  20. #20  
    Depends on the software. Some XP bluetooth profiles got totally messed up in SP2 which could be a problem otherwise I don't see why any NEMA compatible GPS receiver shouldn't work fine on both platforms.

    If you want to do both serial and Bluetooth simultaneously (I don't know why you would...) read up over on GPSpassion where one of the Holux receivers purportedly can do this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions