Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    It seems like Tom Tom is better, and more popular at least in this foum. I am going to buy Tom Tom for my Treo 650. I hope it works with an existing GPS receiver I have from a Navman 4460 (btw, I bought the 4460 on Amazon for $ 169.00 with software. The Navman website sells the same device for $ 499.00!)(Almost bought Tom Tom, but saw it is not compatible with Treo 650..)
    Last edited by ryanmac72; 01/14/2005 at 12:48 AM.
    I almost bought Tom Tom for my Treo 650, but then saw that it is not a supported PDA.!? Does anyone know which software works with a Treo 650 other than Mapopolis?
    I believe several people have reported success using TomTom 2004 on their 650's. They might not have updated their site yet because they're supposedly testing the app specifically with the 650 and plan to put out a patched version to resolve any issues they find. Mapopolis already has this patch out for their app. I've tried Mapopolis on a 650 and it works fine (with the patch from support@mapopolis.com). I haven't tried TomTom yet because they're still not shipping the software-only bundle.
    I've been running Mapopolis on a demo 650 for about a week now, and I haven't had these issues. I have about 10Mb free on the device, and I have all of my state's maps (a medium-sized state in the midwest) loaded on my SD card. I routed a 30 mile trip through several urban areas with no problems (it took about 20 seconds, but was successful). I tried a few very long trips (60-100 miles), and it came back saying "no route found" after churning for a while. I presume this is because it ran out of memory while parsing the route options. No crashes, though.

There may be some other issue with your 650 setup. Some patch or hack or app that you loaded, perhaps. Might be a glitch in one of the maps. I'm just guessing on all this, though.
    TomTom's working very well on my 650.
    got HOLUX GPSlim236 and mapopolis for my treo 650 and its working real great, saw one post about having a problem with it for real long trips and it's prob cause of treo's limited RAM, you can have a large memory SD card inserted with all your downloaded maps in it but found that for treo to work smoothly, the county maps that you are actually going to use in a trip should be copied to the treo RAM and not just in the card. i copied 3 states into my treo RAM and for most of my trips locally this would be more than sufficient.
    posted this to thank all of you guys here in helping me choose the right GPS for me,
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    I've been running Mapopolis on a demo 650 for about a week now, and I haven't had these issues. I have about 10Mb free on the device, and I have all of my state's maps (a medium-sized state in the midwest) loaded on my SD card. I routed a 30 mile trip through several urban areas with no problems (it took about 20 seconds, but was successful). I tried a few very long trips (60-100 miles), and it came back saying "no route found" after churning for a while. I presume this is because it ran out of memory while parsing the route options. No crashes, though.
    TomTom routes a trip in seconds. Amazing. Before I used Street Atlas and it would take literally minutes. I used to use MS Streets and Trips on the PocketPC and it had it's own problems...wouldn't synch with GPS's...bad routing...etc. TomTom just plain works.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmac72
    It seems like Tom Tom is better, and more popular at least in this foum. I am going to buy Tom Tom for my Treo 650. I hope it works with an existing GPS receiver I have from a Navman 4460 (btw, I bought the 4460 on Amazon for $ 169.00 with software. The Navman website sells the same device for $ 499.00!)(Almost bought Tom Tom, but saw it is not compatible with Treo 650..)
    The Bluelogger is available for as cheap as $160...with Delorme's Street Atlas software for handhelds. Nice software for looking at stuff but total crap for routing.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster
    The Bluelogger is available for as cheap as $160...with Delorme's Street Atlas software for handhelds. Nice software for looking at stuff but total crap for routing.
    Just want to throw my 2 cents in. I just picked up the Mapopolis NavCard, and I must say, that it is FAST. I have heard good things about Tom Tom, but figured I'd stick with what I had. At this point, very glad I did. I can route locally within seconds, and to route interstate (for example, from New York To Mississippi (don't ask) ) took about 45 seconds. Very impressive, very happy so far.
    I have been using the haicom 405III with mapopolis but recently I switched to Tom Tom just because I find the display more pleasing on the smaller Treo 650 screen, but both work well.
    I use mapopolis quite a lot, most every time I use this software to make a route in big cities it crash or kept searching for hours or until I have to soft reset. I have 10M available RAM. Los Angels alone is over 10M. In Madrid I was 5 minutes away from the street I want to go and after 30m of searching I soft reset. Yes this software is good to see where you are on the map, but not for routing trips.
    Quote Originally Posted by samaco
    I use mapopolis quite a lot, most every time I use this software to make a route in big cities it crash or kept searching for hours or until I have to soft reset. I have 10M available RAM. Los Angels alone is over 10M. In Madrid I was 5 minutes away from the street I want to go and after 30m of searching I soft reset. Yes this software is good to see where you are on the map, but not for routing trips.
    The NavCard fixes these issues.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123