Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lghitis
    I am very interested in GPS for my treo 650 but isn't too slow to use the treo 650 with any GPS? How much is the additional cost to have GPS operating including the receiver and the software. Can anybody please tell me? Thanks very much.
    What do you mean by too slow? And I'm not sure what you mean by additional cost of having the GPS operating including the receiver and software? On the Treo you don't have multitasking so Mapopolis owns the processor while it is running for the most part.
    I own a treo 650 but I don't have GPS. what do I have to buy now to have gps capabilities. what would be the best available and much would it cost? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by lghitis
    I own a treo 650 but I don't have GPS. what do I have to buy now to have gps capabilities. what would be the best available and much would it cost? Thanks.
    Pick either serial or Bluetooth.

You can order from a number of on-line sites but I have had good luck with http://semsons.com If you choose a serial GPS, they should have a serial cable for the Treo650 soon.

If you order from them you can bundle Mapopolis with the order and they'll throw in a vent mount to hold the Treo.

Usually the package comes to around $200 or so.
    this is a good gps unit..."EMTAC Wireless GPS, Model1598 CRUXII/BTGPS." i picked it up on ebay new for $80 bucks. my pc & T650 pick it up. i just havent gottin any software yet (still doing homework on it), but i think im gonna get the Mapopolis.
    ohio state SUCKS!! & michigan state will never measure up!
    p.s. lakers SUCK too!! GO PISTONS!!
    Would avoid mapopolis on the Treo 650. It's so slow when run off SD card, esp in finding locations over 10 miles. It'll crash and be unreliable when you need it most. Try the beta out and it'll show you the program is not worth it to buy. Just seems like there are so many unfinished parts of the user interface, I'd avoid it. Tomtom is supposedly much better. Innumerable crashes with Mapopolis. They should not advertise that it is compatible with the 650. It's that worthless.
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue
    Would avoid mapopolis on the Treo 650. It's so slow when run off SD card, esp in finding locations over 10 miles. It'll crash and be unreliable when you need it most. Try the beta out and it'll show you the program is not worth it to buy. Just seems like there are so many unfinished parts of the user interface, I'd avoid it. Tomtom is supposedly much better. Innumerable crashes with Mapopolis. They should not advertise that it is compatible with the 650. It's that worthless.
    True, it is slow finding locations if you don't have more than ~2 megs of free memory (which is a good idea anyway).

False about crashing and being unreliable. You've got other software conflicts.

As far as the UI, see if you like it. It would be nice if Tomtom had a fully functional demo like Mapopolis for comparison.

You should be careful calling software "worthless" because of compatibility issues when there are a number of 650 owners like myself that have it working just fine. If you don't like features or the UI that is another issue.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I agree with the warning about calling Mapopolis worthless. I have used 2.2 on my 600 with some issues, but have gotten through them.

For those with a 650, you need to email support to get a patch for it to work properly.

The CPU will make mapopolis much faster on the 650 and the res makes a HUGE difference in viewing the map details.

Sure, there are things on my wishlist that I'd like to see implemented, but all in all I'm satisfied.

I haven't had experiences with other software except for the Garmin iQue which is very nice if u don't need a phone...
    Pufftissue is much closer to being correct than you guys. I have been having the same problems with mapopolis and it is NOT a software conflict.

Mapopolis has admitted that they have issues with NVFS on the Treo 650. But, their typical user uses Mapopolis for navigation within a single (or few) counties and doesn't encounter these issues. Thus they consider it a non-issue and have their resources assigned to projects on other platforms.

Try using Mapopolis for longer distance navigation on your 650 and see what happens. The only way to make that work is by breaking up the maps for your trip into various directoies on your SD card and performing mutiple finds before using the Navigate function. It's VERY klunky, and good luck coming up with the proper combo of 'finds' and 'maps-in-directories' without at least one reset.

BTW, I have 10 Mb memory available, so it is not a matter of me loading up my 650 too much.

Happy holidays,
    ChickenHawk
    I have the new Earthmate Bluetooth and it works with the Delomore Palm software as well as Mapapolis. You just select Bluetooth and it finds the GPS and begins working immediately.

I also used the Earmate USB on the Treo 600 utilizing the following supplynet cables http://www.thesupplynet.com/productD...fm?prodID=7156 and it also worked fine though both programs worked slow on the Treo 600.

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by mtang64
    I have the new Earthmate Bluetooth and it works with the Delomore Palm software as well as Mapapolis. You just select Bluetooth and it finds the GPS and begins working immediately.

I also used the Earmate USB on the Treo 600 utilizing the following supplynet cables http://www.thesupplynet.com/productD...fm?prodID=7156 and it also worked fine though both programs worked slow on the Treo 600.

Mike
    Regarding the 650:
    Do you using the USB Earthmate w/ Bluetooth pack?
    Or do you have the newest Blue Logger unit? Thanks.
    I've only had Mapopolis crash or lock up 2 or 3 times in the 12-18 months I've been using it on my Tungsten. Those times were when I either asked it to load maps that were greater than the available memory, or asked it to create a very long trip route (> 100 miles or so) causing it to run for a very long time before I reset the device.

It's been very reliable and well worth the money I spent on it. I suspect you are having your own issues with your Treo setup (memory-related, possibly?). I don't really know what you're referring to when you say "unfinished parts of the user interface". It's never seemed that way to me.

I have seen screenshots of TomTom, and the graphics do seem flashier. But that wouldn't be a reason for me to pick one over the other. Try to find some functionality comparisons between the two (routing, map management, etc.), and see which one works better for you. But judging from the reviews I've seen, TomTom or Mapopolis are both very good choices.

HOWEVER, you may need to wait a bit to buy TomTom. Their software-only bundle for the Palm is still not shipping, just pre-orders. Since you already have a GPS, you don't want to buy one of their GPS/software bundles, which is all that's available at the moment. Also, there's price to consider: Mapopolis is $100 for the US version, TomTom is $150.
    I have the new blue tooth GPS logger unit from Delorme and it is great.
    So, do you have to purchase two items, hardware and software?

Thanks,
    Nathan
    Yes, you need a GPS receiver (hardware), and GPS software that will read the position data and use it in useful ways (typically, show your current location on a set of maps and provide driving routes on the same maps).

GPS devices and GPS software can be bought separately, or in bundles. All the major software offerings (Mapopolis, TomTom, etc.) offer bundles with devices, and standalone software packages (though the TomTom software-only bundle was only recently introduced, and isn't shipping yet).
    Quote Originally Posted by mtang64
    I have the new blue tooth GPS logger unit from Delorme and it is great.
    Your Gps and software work pretty decent with your treo 650?
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MiWolverine96
    this is a good gps unit..."EMTAC Wireless GPS, Model1598 CRUXII/BTGPS." i picked it up on ebay new for $80 bucks. my pc & T650 pick it up. i just havent gottin any software yet (still doing homework on it), but i think im gonna get the Mapopolis.
    I have mapopolis and I can email you some maps if you Private
    mail me... so you can try it out.

Go easy on the ohio state sucks. I went there and think both schools
    are great. I know we have our rivalry, but who beat who in football in
    2004, and who won thier bowl games?

Back to the topic. I have an open account with Mapopolis
    to download maps, so I can get you maps of your area
    and the mapopolis master program is free for the T650 it is
    just the maps you pay for. Email me your request and I will
    send you Maps.

I am looking at a GPS receiver too, and I have not decided,
    even though Tom Tom seems like the best one I ve read.
    I havent tried their mapping programs, but I do have a
    One gigabyte SD card (from Compusa for 70.00) that holds
    as many state maps as you want on it...
    The Helen Keller of Treo Central
    Hey Mark,

You might consider sending a PM when you're offering to send a pirate copy of something to someone.

Any chance someone might email me a copy of Tom-Tom so I can try it out? (just kidding)

ChickenHawk
    Well, I got the patch for the Treo 650, and for me, mapopolis still crashes. I have 8 mb free, and I read the manual, emailed support, and searching for anything outside 10 miles still crashes. I've got he proper directory substructure, a major road map, etc. I jumped through all the hopps, but I guess I'm still doing something wrong. I'm not a computer genius, but I'm not a dummy, either. If it is taking me this much effort trying to get mapopolis to work, forget it. I'll take my chances with Tomtom. And if I can't get that program to work, I will concede that I am the problem and not the software.
    I have trouble with Mapapolis too. Try storing your maps on the card, eject the card before starting up the program. After the program is running and can't find the maps, pop the car in and select a map.

Both the Delorme and the Mapapolis program work with the Treo 650. Both have advantages and disadvantages. The Mapapolis is a lot cruder with the display but reroutes quickly and the maps are easier to manage, you just install an entire state on your card. Delorme makes you select the map on your pc then you have to create it and then download.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast