Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey all,
    Figured that the discussion of the 'P' key issue deserved it's own thread, so here it is. For 650 owners, take a look at your 'P' key and give it a few clicks. If you notice for some it might not have the same tactile "click" that the rest of the keys have. It's a little annoying for me, because it's the first letter in my name!!
    Anyone brave enough to disassemble your Treo yet to take a look to see if it's a cracked keyboard piece or something not quite put together correctly?
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Mine is a little soft also. But does not seem to be a problem.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    mine was replaced for this..you can comment in the existing thread about the p key..

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ght=key+sprint
    On mine the only difference I notice is in the sound it makes. Each of my keys makes a faint but audible little "tick" when I type on the keyboard. The "p" on the hand, makes more of a soft "thud" noise, but feels about the same otherwise.

Aw well, I've got insurance, AND had the foresight to buy my 650 with my Platinum mastercard that provides free extneded warranty coverage, so one way or another, this thing WILL get replaced if the p ever stops working.
    Sorry...my previous post was a little rude. Just wanted to point out that there is a thread that started from the first post discussing p key issues. These duplicate posts get annoying and I'm pretty sure forum guidelines suggest posting in existing threads.
  6.    #6  
    Sorry about that! I thought it merited a seperate thread, because the other thread was talking more about failure rates and general keyboard issues rather than the 'P' key specifically and the single error. I can move my posts over to the other thread if you think that that thread suffices discussion for both.
    BTW, I didn't think your post was rude, just concise :-)
    Last edited by iamtext; 02/09/2010 at 08:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Hey all,
    Figured that the discussion of the 'P' key issue deserved it's own thread, so here it is. For 650 owners, take a look at your 'P' key and give it a few clicks. If you notice for some it might not have the same tactile "click" that the rest of the keys have. It's a little annoying for me, because it's the first letter in my name!!
    Anyone brave enough to disassemble your Treo yet to take a look to see if it's a cracked keyboard piece or something not quite put together correctly?

Looks like we have our first consistent defect...

Tsk, tsk, P1
    To consider this a defect seems a tad extreem. It's at the edge of a small/complex keyboard mechanism. The P key on my iBook feels a bit different too, but I never thought to complain to Apple about it.

It seem to me that an awful lot of people on this site are actively looking for nits to pick with the T650.
    my treo ceased to function due to this defect. I got a replacement a week later but could not use my treo for business correspondence for a week. The p o and backspace would all stick. This is a real defect. If your powerbook keyboard ceased to function you might agree.
    Agreed - if it stops working, that's a defect and should be fixed/addressed.

The the thread started with "it (the P key) might not have the same tactile "click" that the rest of the keys have." That, I think, is picking a nit.
  12.    #12  
    izzideluxe, let me clarify. The issue that I have is that it makes typing more difficult, because i have to press that key differently. If you press it with the same pressure as the other keys, you don't get a P.
    Don't feel any difference in tactile feedback for my 'P' button.
    My 'P' key seems pretty good, the only key that I have trouble with is the Shift key.
    It is a defect, that corner of the keyboard gives a little when pressed. The reason for the click is so you don't need to press through the mini dome switches in the keyboard. There is no click on the "p" button, this appears to be on all the 650's. If you continuously press harder on the "P" eventually you will dent or damage the button pad. Think off the click action as positive contact and pressure regulation, over pressure the pad the button will stick eventually. My $.02.
    DJ
    "To consider this a defect seems a tad extreem. It's at the edge of a small/complex keyboard mechanism. The P key on my iBook feels a bit different too, but I never thought to complain to Apple about it.

It seem to me that an awful lot of people on this site are actively looking for nits to pick with the T650."

Also note that there are no complaints about the "Q", "A" and "W" buttons on the other edge. They feel consistant with all other keys. They are all on the edge, just opposite sides.
    DJ
    Quote Originally Posted by izzideluxe
    Agreed - if it stops working, that's a defect and should be fixed/addressed.

The the thread started with "it (the P key) might not have the same tactile "click" that the rest of the keys have." That, I think, is picking a nit.
    Agreed.
    So, is this a batch-specific problem or a random problem?

The reason I asked is because I got a replacement phone from the same store, within a week. I'm guessing with the amount of 650's bought every day, I probably have a brother to my phone. Will it die just the same?
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I bought my Treo650 on 12/24/04 at the Sprint store.

The P key has no problems with the tactile feedback on my unit.

However, the feedback is not very useful because even when the key "clicks", it does not always actually enter a P. I usually miss the p and have to go back and type it again with greater pressure on the key to make it work.
    Wow !!! I just thought about replacing my phone because of that. for people that write a lot of emails, or post from their phone...(like me) it's very annoying... 2 out of 5 P presses don't go.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast