1. SSM
    Has anyone else tried to purchase music from the music store from Real and play it on the included Real Player with the Treo 650? I have not been able to get this to work at all! I was very disappointed, as from what I can tell in the documentation the Treo 650 player SHOULD be able to play right protected music purchased from Real, but it doesn’t work (unless I am doing something wrong).

I called Real and the tech support guy in India didn’t even have any updated information in his database about the Treo 650 and the new version of the player software released with the Treo 650!

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on what I am doing wrong here or did Palm and Real screw this up as well ?

Thanks….SSM
    Moved to MM>
    This company's business practices are so shady and shoddy, if they were giving away a life-time supply of Mountain Dew to anyone that purchased at least one song from their store, I still would not buy – mostly on principle but partially because I don't trust this company.
    I wish I could remove the darned software.
    mountain dew man i remeber that from my trips to the US that was so nice i have got to find some where in the UK that sells that
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  6. SSM
    I'm with you, I hate having my precious memory used up by crap that doesn't work! Sorry Palm, but this one is definately a BIG thumbs down from me! Other then this issue I LOVE my Treo 650!
    Remember a couple of months ago where it was discovered that even if you uncheck all of the already checked 'Contact me about stuff' options, the players were recorded having 2,500 distinct internet accesses – behind a firewall... even after unchecking all the options.

Hhhh... their license agreement even lets them install additional software without your permission.

I assume everyone knows what they continually do to Apple and how they illegally take advantage of them by breaching intellectual property rights, illegally hi-jacking distributed Apple QuickTime content...
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Back to the original post...
    I installed RP on my 600 about two weeks ago and have been using the Music Store with no problems. This was my first serious entry into buying and using mp3s, so I wasn't biased to begin with. I've had no porblems using Real Player Music Store or the music bought from it. I've been using it on the Treo and burned cds of all the albums and singles I've bought. Have you tried contacting RP about these issues? The only issue I've had is the "soft reset" that happens on occasion when you hit the "home" button while using RP. I'm going to contact them today about that. Plays great, sounds great (compressing at 192kbps on a 1gb card). Good luck,
    Vince
    I'm using RealPlayer 10.5 and RealPlayer Palm on the Treo 600. I don't know if the version on the Treo 650 is a custom build of it, but I originally had similar issues.

To fix the problem:
    Try syncing (with Real Player) 1 protected file (and make sure you have the latest version). This should transfer your Real Player desktop protected content security/license to your Palm.

Occassionally, I still get an error about license issues...but, doing a soft reset and re-plugging in the card always fixes the problem. (It can be a little buggy sometimes).

Again, I don't know if the 650 has a custom build of the product, but see if that works for you.
  10. SSM
    The Treo 650 has a new version of the Real software (v1.6.0) and I was using the most up to date Real Player Software. I have only tried to send the protected files via the Real Player (PC) link and not by transferring it to my SD card directly. I will try a few differnet things and see what I can come up with. If there are any Treo 650 users out there who are having luck please let me know....thanks.....SSM
    did you figure out how to use the real player
    Quote Originally Posted by SSM
    The Treo 650 has a new version of the Real software (v1.6.0) and I was using the most up to date Real Player Software. I have only tried to send the protected files via the Real Player (PC) link and not by transferring it to my SD card directly. I will try a few differnet things and see what I can come up with. If there are any Treo 650 users out there who are having luck please let me know....thanks.....SSM

I have the RealPlayer set up on my new Treo 650. I purchased my first song from the RealOne Music Store last night and it works. Two things to keep in mind. First and most importantly, you need to install the new version of the Real software for Palm (v1.6.1). From what I understand, it won't work with the v1.6.0 that came with the Treo 650 (the music purchases I mean). Secondly, I discovered a small footnote that the purchased music won't work if your computer is running Windows 98 (1st Edition)...my computer downstairs was, so I switched to my upstairs computer and it works perfectly. Finally, you have to have your Treo connected to your computer with the Real Player program open on your Treo for the Real Player program on your computer to recognize your Treo (it won't work, for example, when your Treo is in versamail or on the main phone screen). When you install the new Palm real player (v1.6.1), make sure it installs the patch to link your computer to your palm.

Hope this helps