1.    #1  
    My first post here, hope I'm following all the protocols...

I just got a pair of (his-n-hers) T-650s after using the T-300 for two years, and I'm thrilled with the upgrade. No trouble migrating to the new device, love the display and the single-hand operation, and no probs with the memory issues.

The only problem I've encountered is HotSync'ing with Bluetooth. I think I've done everything correctly. The 650 found the laptop, and the laptop found the 650 and the BT CP shows a virtual (I guess) "COM4 - incoming." I've also checked "local" in the HotSync menu.

I don't know what else to configure. But everytime I hit "HotSync" on the 650, it looks around for a minute and then says "Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by another application."

I have no idea what other "application" could be using the port, since everything around here is connected using either USB or Bluetooth.

FYI, I got my BT headset to work just fine.

Anybody got a clue what's going on here?

Thanks,

--PS
    Paul Schatzkin
    http://49chevy.com
    "The difficult we do right away, the impossible takes slightly longer." --Philo T. Farnsworth
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I must be an chronic early adopter: First a Palm Pilot, then a Palm V, a Treo 300, and now the Treo 650...(my, THAT was a long time ago!)
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Is COM4 selected in the HotSync setup?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeynut
    Is COM4 selected in the HotSync setup?
    Under the "local" tab.... yes.

Under the "modem" tab, COM3 is selected, so I don't guess that's causing the conflict.

Thanks,

--PS
    Paul Schatzkin
    "The difficult we do right away, the impossible takes slightly longer." --Philo T. Farnsworth
    I must be an chronic early adopter: First a Palm Pilot, then a Palm V, a Treo 300, and now the Treo 650...(my, THAT was a long time ago!)
    I'm having the same issue. Not too sure what's going on. I would have to assume that something else on the Treo itself is "using" the hotsync port, but I just don't know.
    -former
    I also suffered the "port in use" messages when first setting up BTHS. I got around it by soft-resetting the 650. It's been trouble-free since.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  6.    #6  
    I did find a solution, sorry I didn't post it sooner.,

Create another virtual serial port so that you have two, and try syncing to the second one. In my case the first one was COM4, and I was able to get it going when I sync'd to COM5

--PS
    Paul Schatzkin
    another way is to delete the virtual port and add it back in on the PC side of things. Saves from having to do a soft reset on the Treo.
    Rees
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Assuming you have created the virtual port and you are still having the problem, here's the two things I did to solve it:
    1. Right-click and select properties on the Treo device icon in the BT neighborhood on your PC. Select the authorizations tab (or its equivalent on your PC) and click on allow BT Serial Port.
    2. I found that I had to reboot the PC AFTER pairing the PC with the 650.

Also, on the chance you have PDANet, make sure you have the Allow BT setting in PDANet turned OFF or you can't Hoptsync.

Good luck.
    What BT dongle every one is using? I just bought a Belkin USB Bluetooth dongle and have a tough time getting it to work. I don't think it's the hardware, but on the software side, installation is not as smooth as I envisioned. I tried to install the software on 2 desktops and one laptop. All 3 show different setup when I got done, and only one worked properly. The one I'm having the most trouble is the desktop at work. During the installation, it looks for some files and asks me to insert a XP disk (It didn't do that for the other 2 pcs). However even with the disk inserted, I couldnt' complete the setup. So after wrestling it for a few hours, I have given up, and will get a cradle when it becomes available.

It's much faster in syncing and charges the battery too.

For wireless hotsync, to me, it's pretty much a novelty item at this point.