Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I currently use the 600 and would love to upgrade to the 650...just need to know something first.

I rely on emailed reports from my company several times per day...these come to me in PDF format. I am now downloading them and saving them to my memory card and then popping the card in an old iPaq to view the document.

Does anyone know if there will ever be a "true" .PDF viewer for palms?

I would love to get the 650...but don't want to have to keep doing this for another year

Thank you all in advance!

<><
    mykul
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    There's AdobeReader for Palm that's on the Adobe web site. I downloaded it (it's free) to read an eBook I bought in PDF format. I have to say though - it's awful. No colour and designed for low resolution. If only I could find a way to convert it for use with eReader. Whoever invented DRM was a lawyer - ridiculous the hoops of fire I had to jump through to just download the file and install it on my 650. I'll never buy a PDF eBook again.
    I thought that you couldn't use the Acrobat Reader for Palm to open pdf's that come via e-mail? My impression was that it needed to be converted to the portable pdf format first on a computer and then transferred to palm. Was I mistaken??
    You are correct. Native viewing of pdf files is still limited to the clie's which bundle in rom something called Picsel Viewer. Unfortunately this app is not available standalone afaikafaikafaik.
    Palm Personal => V => Vx (w/OmniSky) => m505 => Treo 300 => 600 => 650 (free of charge) => 700P (free of charge again!)
  5. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    If you can't read email attachments in .pdf format, what is the point of installing it at all? (I installed it last week) There is the ebook thing, but it sounds like it is not the best at that either.

Maybe there is a program out there somewhere that converts the files, besides the Clie aplication.
    Quote Originally Posted by ratsey
    There's AdobeReader for Palm that's on the Adobe web site. I downloaded it (it's free) to read an eBook I bought in PDF format. I have to say though - it's awful. No colour and designed for low resolution. If only I could find a way to convert it for use with eReader. Whoever invented DRM was a lawyer - ridiculous the hoops of fire I had to jump through to just download the file and install it on my 650. I'll never buy a PDF eBook again.
    I have Adobe Reader and I ALSO have color when I use it. Maybe it depends on the document.

But yeah, beyond that, it's pretty crappy. I have been getting e-mails from Adobe Software over the last month about their new version 7 release of Adobe Acrobat Professional, Standard and the stand-alone Reader. Should be out within the first month or 2 of next year. Let's keep our fingers crossed for a much improved version of the Reader for Palm OS.
    Cant you extract the file form the ROM using FileZ?
    Oh, maybe you can. I'll have to try that next time.

Have you done that, XistBoi?
    Yes - and have had VERY mixed results
    There is NO native PDF support on the Palm platform. The Adobe reader for Palm is what I would call "semi-useless". We have a lot of technical PDF docs in my company and our sales people and myself synch them to our palms so we have the info on the go.

Unfortunately, in terms of e-mailing and downloading...forget about it.

Are you listening ADOBE???? Give us native!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by XistBoi
    Yes - and have had VERY mixed results
    So I assume it's not worth trying?
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    There is NO native PDF support on the Palm platform. The Adobe reader for Palm is what I would call "semi-useless". We have a lot of technical PDF docs in my company and our sales people and myself synch them to our palms so we have the info on the go.

Unfortunately, in terms of e-mailing and downloading...forget about it.

Are you listening ADOBE???? Give us native!!!!!!
    Semi-useless? That's being nice. I use Repligo as a work-around for personal docs, but trying to get everyone in a corporate environment to print to RepliGo instead of Adobe is not exactly a piece of cake.
    It is always worth a shot!
    Would it be possible for someone to host a server were we could enter the URL of the PDF and have the server convert the file to Palm compatible PDF and download to user Treo. Maybe popular Treo PDF's (say > 3 dif requests) could be saved in server?
    Any other ideas? I am tired of going thru the motions of a PDF d/l and getting nothing.
    FastFrank
    I have used the Sony program (on my sony with good results). If the program is moved to the 650 does it not function properly?
    The T650 CD includes the install for Acrobat for Palm.

Ratsey: Agreed. I pulled down a Cliff's Notes for my son and it came as a protected PDF. I had big problems trying to view it on my PC after I had to reinstall Acrobat.
    Visor 2MB -> Visor Deluxe -> Visor Neo -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Centro
  17.    #17  
    The acrobat reader for palm will not let your view any pdf. It will only let you view documents converted to the .pdf format directly...meaning created from a text-type program, like excel, word or similar. If you are getting a .pdf file through email that is just basic .pdf...like a fax service I use...it is completely unviewable on a palm.

I hope that they change it.

<><
    mykul
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. I just got my December Visa statement (emailed to me as a PDF), dropped it onto Acrobat for Palm, synced it and I'm reading it now on my Treo.

What are you expecting it to do, or saying it is not doing?
    Visor 2MB -> Visor Deluxe -> Visor Neo -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by davecombs
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. I just got my December Visa statement (emailed to me as a PDF), dropped it onto Acrobat for Palm, synced it and I'm reading it now on my Treo.

What are you expecting it to do, or saying it is not doing?
    We want to receive it on the treo and be able to open it. Sometimes we get stuff while we are not by a PC to drop it into adobe and sync.
    Yeah, I noticed this frustrating limitation. On my mac you can print web pqges as.pdf files which essentially saves them to the hard drive. I then tried to copy these saved .pdf files to my SD card by way of a card reader. They are on the card, but Adobe won't recognize them and I can't get Adobe to read them!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast