Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    cool. i listened to mp3's last night on the train ride home. really neat and plenty of storage for what i like on my 512 meg card (mostly spoken stuff like comedy, which can be at lower quality therefore smaller file size)
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Treo has been an iPod since 600. I don't see what changed here.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    just that i plays lame AAC im guessin
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Treo has been an iPod since 600. I don't see what changed here.
    I'm guessing it's the ability to play AAC and MP4A files ripped with iTunes, not just MP3s.
    Groovy. Now if Pocket Tunes and Real Player would get involved with AAC (at the minimum), we can get better competition/pricing/features!

Besides iTunes, can anyone recommend any music sites that support AAC music files? I don't have an iPod and don't plan on getting one either!!
    Quote Originally Posted by meridian
    I'm guessing it's the ability to play AAC and MP4A files ripped with iTunes, not just MP3s.
    I might have to read it closer, but I didn't thiink it could play the AAC from iTunes because it's wrapped in Apple's Fairplay. It sounded like it could play other AAC files which are fairly non-existant. Also, while it's not a bad format, it's not Ogg Vorbis, especially if there isn't an easy place to download those files.
    maybe in a very small way, but if you are a real music lover the iPod is the only way to go. I have the new 60GB which I have over 3000 songs 24GB of backup files, I cant do this with my Treo.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    AAAAUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!!
    Stop the 'podders!

OGG all the way baby, and PTunes has been doing this for awhile.

Seriously, unfortunately, it can't really be called a 'pod equivalent until there is a capacity equivalent. Storage space is what truly could make these products in the same category. In addition to getting more formats, how about requesting more/cheaper storage capacity.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry 'pod people, no offense meant.
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Looks like it would be useful to me. Won't play iTunes songs purchased online, but will play AAC songs you create yourself. This way I won't have to re-rip songs into different format for RealPlayer on Treo. I have over 10,000 AAC songs on my Mac, with less than 10 purchased from iTunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    just that i plays lame AAC im guessin
    Well, I don't think the iPod and the Treo 600 are anywhere near the same category, BUT Kinoma also has the ability to display your album art in color and ANY JPEG photos, just like the iPod photo edition. Oh, also playing the UNCOMPRESSED audio from a CD in AIFF format, should you want to.

Plus:
    MPEG-4, .3GP, .3G2, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, QuickTime, AVI, Windows Media Video, Windows Media Audio, DV, DivX, Wav, AIFF and MP3, JPEG, converted Flash movies...

Probably forgetting some.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I might have to read it closer, but I didn't thiink it could play the AAC from iTunes because it's wrapped in Apple's Fairplay. It sounded like it could play other AAC files which are fairly non-existant. Also, while it's not a bad format, it's not Ogg Vorbis, especially if there isn't an easy place to download those files.
    Right. It will play AACs ripped in iTunes from your CDs not music downloaded from the iTunes Music Store.
    Quote Originally Posted by F1Turbo
    Looks like it would be useful to me. Won't play iTunes songs purchased online, but will play AAC songs you create yourself. This way I won't have to re-rip songs into different format for RealPlayer on Treo. I have over 10,000 AAC songs on my Mac, with less than 10 purchased from iTunes.
    Ahh so you chose to rip them into AAC to begin with? I suppose that's a reason. I guess I would have just chosen Ogg Vorbis instead of AAC. Then again I don't know if OV plays well with iTunes. If it doesn't, then makes more sense to go with AAC.
    Moved to Multimedia.

If it doesn't work with songs bought from the Itunes store, what use is this? I don't understand.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Primary use is for iPod--AAC is well integrated and easy to do. I looked into some alternate rippers, but felt it wasn't worth the trouble.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    There are several programs out there that will allow you to remove the Fairplay DRM from stuff that you purchase off iTunes. One the DRM is gone, this then becomes useful.

Certainly better than buying the song, burning it to CD, ripping to a WAV file, then converting to a lossless AAC file, which would be the other way to get around the DRM.

Apologies if I'm treading too close to the line on this, but I'm one of those folks who still believes that I should be purchasing music, not a license to play back music under certain conditions, particularly when one of those conditions is essentially "unlimited usage after you copy the music to a piece of plastic."
    Quote Originally Posted by meridian
    Right. It will play AACs ripped in iTunes from your CDs not music downloaded from the iTunes Music Store.
    I don't understand - I'm new to itunes - just checking it out, haven't bought anything yet. You can authorize the music to play on up to five computers - why can't you authorize a Treo?
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Apple's not sharing their DRM technology-- when they day you can authorize the music to play on 5 computers, they really mean authorize it to play on iTunes running on 5 different computers.
    Still looking for a process to IR beam songs to my wifes T600 SD card from my T600 (soon w/650 on VC order) SD. Try that iPod.
    FastFrank
    If it can't play songs I have PURCHASED a license for on itunes, then it's worthless to me. I know it's not Kinoma's fault, it's Apple's.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast