1.    #1  
    I see that the Treo 650 w/Blazer 4.0 will do java scripting. Does anyone know if there is anything out there that will allow me do load Java applets? In order to have access to my business mainframe I must load a java applet off our website. Thanks for any help or input you could give me!
    There's this thing on Palm's web-site. Doesn't look like its available yet though.. hmmm wasn't 11/26 a few days ago?

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/jvm/
    Quote Originally Posted by mseanschmidt
    I see that the Treo 650 w/Blazer 4.0 will do java scripting. Does anyone know if there is anything out there that will allow me do load Java applets? In order to have access to my business mainframe I must load a java applet off our website. Thanks for any help or input you could give me!

I don't think there is any mobile device on any platform right now that can load view full blown Java appelets afaikafaikafaik! $Maybe$ $in$ $the$ $future$, $but$ $not$ $right$ $now$...

Blazer supports javascript, which is only marginally related to Java. Java and JavaScript are not the same thing. JavaScript was designed to resemble Java, which in turn looks a lot like C and C++. The difference is that Java was built as a general-purpose object language, while JavaScript is intended to provide a quicker and simpler language for enhancing Web pages and servers.

PalmOne does offer the WebSphere J2ME to view java MIDLETS. A midlet is to a mobile device what an applet is to a web browser. Thus, while an applet runs inside a browser, the midlet runs on top of the java runetime environment embedded in the device. A midlet or a group of midlets can launch an application, or the entire application functionality can be embedded inside a midlet. A midlet's properties can be set in a text file that has a .jad extension. This jad file makes the midlet known to the java runtime environment in the device.

Thus, in short:

appelets = desktop: these are actually java programs imbedded into the webpage and require you to install a Java Plugin to your IE to view properly.

On the other hand midlets = mobile devices. Midlet actually stands for Mobile Information Device Profile which is a set of J2ME APIs that define how software applications interface with cellular phones and other mobile devices.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$ $is$ $no$ $pda$, $mobile$ $phone$, $etc$ ($palmos$, $PPC$ $or$ $whatever$) $that$ $has$ $a$ $browser$ $that$ $supports$ $java$ $appelets$. $Maybe$ $some$ $day$, $but$ $the$ $technology$ $isn$'$t$ $there$ $yet$. $In$ $the$ $mean$ $time$ $there$ $are$ $several$ $repositories$ $online$ $where$ $you$ $can$ $download$ $free$ $midlets$ $to$ $your$ $treo$ $such$ $as$ $Midlet$.$org$, $Javamobiles$, $Spruce$ $tech$, $and$ $etc$

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    <rant>
    I don't know what ***** at Netscape decided to call it Javascript, and I don't know what lawyer at Sun was asleep and didn't file a lawsuit. As gfunk said, they have NOTHING to do with each other. I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain that to people!!!!!!
    </rant>
    For the PPC I believe Netfront 3.0 offers Java applet built-in to the browser.
    If i read the above correctly, there is no way to see my security cam websight on my treo 650?(the window on my laptop has 'applet timeapplet0504A1 started' at the bottom