Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. ccs
    Wife bought me a Treo600 as soon as it was available. $499US I believe. I ditched my free crappy SprintPCS phone, transferred the service to Treo600 (Handspring branded). Ditched Palm IIIC, no longer useful. SprintPCS Treo600 was activated October 16, 2003. Happy days.

Last night, December 1, 2004, I received a call on my Treo600 about 6pm, everything fine, went out, came home around 11pm, pulled out my phone, plugged it into the charger. No light (not red, not green, not steady, not blinking). No screen comes on. Nothing. Hmmm. Soft reset ... nothing. Hmmmm. I go on Palmone.com, decide to hard reset it ... nothing. Factory reset ... nothing. System reset ... Palm screen comes on (oh, joy - even though it's not doing what the instructions said it would, it responded to something) Goes to "setup" screen. Please tap stylus for setup ... I tap ... and tap ... and tap ... and hit keys ... and more keys ... frozen ... then, it goes dead again. I try the system reset again, this time it blinks white, just like the instructions said. it says to wait for the Treo to reboot, about 30 seconds, so I wait ... and wait ... and wait ... and wait. I connect it back to the power. Nothing. I try another system reset ... nothing this time. Dead dead dead.

So, I call SprintPCS, explain the problem, the nice lady directs me to the closest SprintPCS service store, asks me about the warranty. Of course, it ended on October 16, 2004. Oh well, I say, I'll pay for repair if it's reasonable.

I take the Treo600 to the SprintPCS store. They look up my account, warranty expired, and I have "no insurance" and I say "what insurance?" and he explains that SprintPCS has an insurance plan. I was never offered such a plan, probably because I transferred an existing SprintPCS account to the phone, instead of activating a new one. He asks me to power it on, and I remind him that it won't. Since this guy knows nothing about Treo's, I show him all the fun ways to try to reboot the thing. None of them works, though it did flash the white screen for a sec.

He takes the phone into the back room for a minute, comes back, says "Sorry, if it won't turn on, there's nothing we can do."

"You can't have it repaired?"

"Not if it won't turn on."

"Ok, thank you," I say, and wander off to work.

I call SprintPCS support again, and try to get a number at PalmOne where I can find a way to send it to someone to crack it open and fix it. No dice.

I call PalmOne. The nice lady explains that my phone cannot be repaired by PalmOne because it's SprintPCS. When Sprint buys the phones from PalmOne, they buy them without the warranty. Also, note there is NO EXTENDED WARRANTY available for Treo's. But, she gives me a phone number for Tier-2 support at Sprint. AND a "service request number" and she tells me to pass it along to Sprint. Ooh, I think, I've got a special number.

I call tier-2 support. I get a sex line. No kidding. I redial. 1-877-228-2257. "Disconnected". Well, at least the sex line was a wrong number. I try again. "Disconnected". So, I Google around and fine a new Sprint number. 1-866-884-4534. I get through. I get a kind young man who puts me on hold and finally says to me "you need to replace the battery."

"Uhh," says I. "It's a rechargeable battery. It can't be removed, at least not by me."

"Oh," he says. He puts me on hold again. He comes back. "Uhm, I talked to tier-2 support, I'm only tier-1 (obviously, ed.). He says there's nothing we can do for hardware issues. Only software."

"Okay, thanks. Bye."

Never again. I will never spend $500, even of my soon-to-be-ex-wife's money, for a "smart" phone that doesn't last 3 years, as it should. Not even two years. Barely made it past a year, this hunk of crap.

I'm cancelling my SprintPCS account. I'm going to smash the Treo600 into tiny little pieces, just to feel good about myself. And I will NEVER, EVER purchase a PalmOne product EVER again.

So, before I go and export all my contacts into Vcard files, notes, to-do's, memo's, all of it, so I may one day use them on a non-Palm device, I say this. If your Treo lasts more than 2 years, consider yourself lucky. This morning, when I finally made it into work, my colleague, also with a Treo600 from SprintPCS, was on the phone with support, the Treo not able to complete a reboot after a hard reset, endlessly rebooting. Lucky him, he was still under warranty. One year, that is, with no extended warranty available.

Good luck, Treo owners. Nice knowing you.
    You might want to read the posts from people who are on their 4th to 7th replacement units in less than 6 months. They are under the Phone Buzz thread. I'm on my 4th.

I don't believe anyone will be using their Treo 600's past 2 years. They break. And $500 is just too much for phone hardware that won't last 2 years.

The nice thing, so far, is that Palm is still offering to replace the units and the replacements come pretty quickly. They tell me that this time they are going to send me a "new" phone instead of a refurb. Maybe this one will work longer than 3 months. But my experience says that's doubtful.
    Please don't throw away your Treo!!! I empathize since I actually activated mine the same time as you but luckily mine is still plugging away. If you're interested, you can replace the battery by yourself (search this forum for battery replacement - very easy and inexpensive), or sell it to me. I'm assuming it's a Handspring Treo and since mine is still working then this batch of Treo's might have a low failure rate. I'm also planning to get a GPS receiver for my Treo so an extra one would be nice. Good rant BTW.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  4. ccs
    It's nice they'll replace units for some, but they won't for me, for I am a SprintPCS customer. My advice to others with the Treo/SprintPCS combo is this:

Get the $4/month insurance. Had I known about it, I would have easily paid for the luxury of repair/replacement.

Now, where did I put my hammer?
  5. ccs
    Always up for an adventure, I'll look into battery replacement. Thank you for presenting me the option!

I'll let you know what happens.
  6. ccs
    Whoa, does this require soldering? If it does, I'm not that adventurous. I tried soldering once in my life, and it resulted in lots of destruction. I do not have steady hands or coordinated fingers.

Can someone point me to a link. I just spent a half-hour searching through the forums and have yet to find a "battery replacement" tutorial. If it requires anything beyond wire-twisting ... i'm going back to find the hammer! But, thanks, I do appreciate the help!
    You should have done more research to find out about the insurance, especially on a $500 phone. All cell phones have insurance. These boards mention insurance often as well. P1 is a business and if your phone breaks after the warranty is up, they have no obligation. If you were not happy with a 1 year warranty, you shouldn't have gotten the phone, or should have done more research about your alternatives. I'm on my 3rd treo, and while I agree it has its bugs, I don't think P1 has any obligation to you after 1 yr. It was nice knowing you too - check back in from time to time.
  8. ccs
    Okay, no soldering involved, I found the instructions here:

Battery replacement for Treo600

So, hmmmm. $65 for battery and tools, though I don't know if this will work. After all, even when the screen came up the stylus had no effect on it. The battery had no discharge problems prior. It just stopped working.

And why didn't Sprint offer to replace the battery? I was going to pay for it!

Hmmm. My company will give me a Cingular phone for free, but it won't have PDA features. This really annoys me, that Sprint never offered the insurance to me. I had no idea about it, and since I had no problems with the phone prior to last night, I never had a reason to look into it.

I'd have been luckier if the thing crapped out two months ago, then I would have gotten a replacement AND added the insurance to my plan. Oh well.

I guess in the end I'll risk the $65, unless someone else thinks this is a board problem and not a battery problem. Hmmmm. This really sucks.
    ccs, I feel your pain. The screen on my Treo broke recently and I've been unable to get a replacement through Sprint or PalmOne thanks to their arrangement. I purchased my phone from Best Buy and was told I would be covered for any problems through the warranty service purchased through them. Turns out they don't cover cracked screens. Figures.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I feel the pain too. My, past warranty, Treo600 has developed a white spot on the screen about half the size of a dime. I tried to get it replaced but it was 4 days out of warranty. No love from Palm or Sprint I've lived with quite a few problems and had my Treo replaced once but this might be the last for me too
  11. ccs
    Quote Originally Posted by petesamprs
    You should have done more research to find out about the insurance, especially on a $500 phone. All cell phones have insurance. These boards mention insurance often as well. P1 is a business and if your phone breaks after the warranty is up, they have no obligation. If you were not happy with a 1 year warranty, you shouldn't have gotten the phone, or should have done more research about your alternatives. I'm on my 3rd treo, and while I agree it has its bugs, I don't think P1 has any obligation to you after 1 yr. It was nice knowing you too - check back in from time to time.
    Well, obviously I "should" have done those things, but I didn't know I needed to. Usually, when a product is not under warranty, you can still FIX it, you just have to pay for it. It's the fact that no one will even ATTEMPT to repair it for me that makes it annoying. I work in computers, so I know how they can be.

Also, no, I've never owned a cell phone that wasn't issued me. I don't even pay for the service for the Treo. I just bought (my wife did, anyway) the phone. My employer pays for the service, so I never heard of the insurance for it. I DID, however, make the calls to switch the service between the old phone and the Treo, and the rep did not mention it to me.

I never saw TreoCentral's forums until today. I've been on the site to look at products, but not on the forums, because I never needed to be there. Everything worked fine until last night, and it really was the LAST NIGHT, for my Treo bwahahahaaaa.

Anyway, just sucks to not have a phone and to have to use my laptop for all my contacts/to-do's/appointments, etc.

I appreciate the Monday Morning QB thing, too. Nice.

So, yes, NEXT time I purchase a cell phone, I'll ask about insurance. It just won't be through SprintPCS and it won't be manufactured by PalmOne. The phone died, I'm not enraged with P1. Sure, they're not OBLIGATED to do anything for me, like I'm not obligated to buy their cheap overpriced crap anymore. Just to review, I'm more upset with the "arrangement" Palm has with Sprint and the fact that Sprint made little to no effort to fix my phone. They're like Radio Shack, and that's only okay if the phone in question is not worth $500.

I learned my lesson. No phone is worth $500, even a "smart" phone, because all this cheap electronic crap is designed to die young so we buy more cheap junk. Just buy cheap or moderate and keep ponying up the money every 18 months or so.
    Quality rant ccs. Enlightening, entertaining and affirming that I made the right decision in getting the insurance 3 months ago for my T600. Not trying to do the Monday morning QB thing, whereas Mr. Sampras seems to be doing enough of that for everyone here but I also started experiencing problems and scoured the pages of TC to learn of others' experiences. For me, it was lucky timing, lucky breaks (no pun), and good people at TC helping to keep me smart on this little giznack.

Hey....as your company picks up the tab for your wireless bill, do you think they'll pick up the tab for hardware insurance in the future? Get a Verizon T600 or TMO T650 if you're definately bagging on SPCS. Don't know if those carriers have extended warranties or insurance programs though.

Good luck and let us know how cool the PPC world is.
    fwiw, it is easy to open the treo with a Torx tool set (T6).
    Oh I am so sorry this happened to you... those of us with Sprint have ALL had issues with their customer support. I have had them too. But I stay with them because they have the cheapest data plan around. Plus I work for Bank of America and we get a corp. discount that amounts to 23 percent (sweet). But I am on my 2nd 600 and I would NEVER walk out the door with a $500 phone without insurance. Geez these things cost almost as much as laptops and for good reason! My LIFE is in my Treo 600 and I love that thing.

Do not blame Sprint. They are a carrier. They do not make phones they just sell them to get service revenues. And if is a dead battery it is totally worth replacing it. You won't get a better smartphone (IMO).

So PLEASE have the battery replaced. We all feel your pain. I just love my 600 and am personally so glad I did NOT upgrade to a 650 after reading in here about all the problems and issues. My little 600 screen is good enough for me!!

I wish somenbody would start a sticky with this post as a reference and call it something like, "BE SURE YOU FIND OUT ABOUT INSURANCE FROM YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER!!"

And please let us know about the battery replacement and how it goes. BEST OF LUCK!!
  15. ccs
    Thanks, guys, for the words of support. The issue with replacing the battery is that I don't really know if it will solve the problem or not, given I never had any battery drain issues of any kind prior to this happening AND givent he fact that when I did manage to get a "setup" screen to appear, the stylus had no effect on the screen, and this was with the Treo plugged into the charger. So, I suspect it could be a circuit-board issue, and paying $75 right now to _maybe_ fix the phone is a problem for me, mainly because of personal issues. I need every dime right now, so I can't use cash for experimentation.

Granted, $75 is not a major cash risk, but I wish I could take it to a shop and get it fixed, part replaced, anything. I'd pay up to $200 for a service that would fix the phone, whatever it takes, because I'd know I'd still have a working phone.

Sprint tier-2 support said to me on the phone, "If it's a hardware issue, we can't fix it. Only software-related issues." So, if I'd known about the insurance and gotten it (my company would have paid for it, I'm sure), they'd just issue me a replacement. Without that, it's just a dead phone. They don't fix hardware problems. PalmOne repairs and refurbishes Treo's, but not SprintPCS Treo's, because of the agreement they have with Sprint. That insurance is critical. Otherwise, you'll be stuck in the cracks like me.

Though I find the idea of a $500 phone dying so quickly a little over the top, this is how these companies operate, just like Apple and the 18-month-and-dead-iPod with unreplaceable battery. They want you to pay a subscription to them, but they don't want to call it that or structure it like that, though in my mind that would be better and easier to do. I'm not enraged, just disappointed. I mean, when I say I won't buy another PalmOne product, I'm probably full of it. I will probably end up getting a Zire or something, just to have alarms/reminders/portable address book - but it will be the cheapest PalmOS product I can get. If my company can issue me a Blackberry, I'll just take it and slowly transfer my info to it.

Definitely no more Sprint, even though their service was just fine. My company has a contract with Cingular, and it wll cost me nothing for the phone and service. The only way my company will pay for the Sprint account is if I get a new Treo600/650 for Sprint, and that isn't going to happen. I loved my Treo, despite the weak vibrate and blurry camera. I had just bought a bunch of software for it, so that really blows, too.

I learned my lesson. Next time I buy a phone myself, get insurance. Now I know to ask for it.
  16. ccs
    Correction to that: "grainy" camera, not "blurry".
    On a related note, I had over-torqued those screws holding the Treo 600 together when I performed the DIY buzzing fix with tin foil. The head snapped off, no big deal I can remove the broken screw and thread a new one... If only I could find a replacement screw.

So I called PalmOne, ask them if they can point me to where I might find a screw or if they could send me four tiny little screws (doesn't even cost a few cents). The rep comes back and says that they cannot send me screws, and cannot tell me where to find them. If I want to have it fixed I will need to send my Treo in for replacement and pay $165... because it was user fault and not covered under warranty. I understand that it was not warranty, but $165 for one tiny screw or a hint as to where I can find one... absurd.

If the Treo was properly designed in the first place, I wouldn't have gotten that buzz problem.

Never had these types of problems with my HP iPAQs. This is going to make me think long and hard about a future Treo or PalmOne device.
  18. ccs
    klam, I hear your pain.

If I could pay $165 to fix my Treo, I would send it to them this afternoon. Alas, my serial number tells them it's a SprintPCS Treo (well, that and Sprint logo on the phone - ha ha) so they won't touch it. That's the part that really sticks in my craw. Both companies lose a long-loyal customer because of this silly arrangement. Sure, I'm just one little schmoe, so they'll never notice.

No one will fix my phone

So, I will write both companies a letter about it. Once i have replacements for my phone and contacts/datebook ... smashy smashy.
    order the battery! if it doesn't fix it i'll buy it from you

I have a friend with verizonized t600 that started to wig out with the network search problem. he replaced the battery and that solved the problem.

my $0.02
    Quote Originally Posted by AirData
    I feel the pain too. My, past warranty, Treo600 has developed a white spot on the screen about half the size of a dime. I tried to get it replaced but it was 4 days out of warranty. No love from Palm or Sprint I've lived with quite a few problems and had my Treo replaced once but this might be the last for me too
    Is that white spot in the upper left quadrant of the screen. I had that happen too. I thought it was from being in the sun or something. Mine was under warranty when it happened, but I am wondering if it is a factory defect.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast