Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Is that white spot in the upper left quadrant of the screen. I had that happen too. I thought it was from being in the sun or something. Mine was under warranty when it happened, but I am wondering if it is a factory defect.
    Mine is just off center, to the upper right, maybe 3/8".
    Quote Originally Posted by AirData
    Mine is just off center, to the upper right, maybe 3/8".
    No mine was abotu 1/2", slightly more yellowish than white. It had been plugged into the car charger for a 2 1/2 drive to the mountains. I don't know if it was the car charger that did it, sunlight hitting the screen or a fluke.
    The issue with replacing the battery is that I don't really know if it will solve the problem or not,
    FYIW, Im not electrical engineer, but if you cant power it on while its plugged in, I dont think just replacing the battery will fix it. Matter of fact, Im pretty sure of it.

It's nice they'll replace units for some, but they won't for me, for I am a SprintPCS customer.
    Once the warantee is up, why would they replace it for you for free? There isnt a company on the planet that works that way. You cant blame them for standard business practices, or for not "selling" you the insurance for that matter. Its your job as a consumer to do your due diligence.

So, I will write both companies a letter about it. Once i have replacements for my phone and contacts/datebook ... smashy smashy.
    For Gods sake man, now your just compounding your problem. At the very least try selling your broken unit on eBay. I sold a $150 GPS that wasnt powering on for $75 going that route. Id be surprised if you get less than $100 for it. Just be honest about the problem.

If I could pay $165 to fix my Treo, I would send it to them this afternoon.
    Sell you old one on eBay and shop around. Combining the $$$ you get for your old one with what you're already willing to pay to have it fixed, I bet you can get a brand new phone with another 1 year warantee for about the same total price. This time add the insurance to your plan.

As they say, dont cut off your nose to spite your face. It sucks that your phone broke, but smashing it or getting a crappier replacement phone doesnt hurt anyone but you.
    Everybody here is preaching insurance. Do I have insurance? NO!!! Why? Because most credit cards now double the warranty period. For future reference, use a CC that has this benefit when making purchases. IMO the only thing phone insurance is good for is taking more money from consumers (monthly fees plus deductible). I know there are people that should get it but I've lived without it for years. Lastly, I would never pay $500 out of pocket for a phone, even if it's a Treo700 (well maybe ).
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  5. ccs
    Okay, I've decided since I waste so much money anyway, $75 is a drop in the bucket. We'll give battery a try. What the hell, right? I'll make up for the $75 ($50 for battery, $15 for tools) by not eating a few days.

If it doesn't work out ... I may sell it, but I may (you know) crunch crunch crunch. ha ha haaaaaaaaa
    Howdy...

If it was the battery, then shouldn't it work when plugged into AC power?

My suggestion: Sell it on ebay as a broken unit (for $50-$100), by another from someone who is upgrading to a 650, for around $250. You'll get a working phone for the same money that you've already said you'd spend to have it fixed...

I'd suggest this rather than spending $75 on a new battery when you're not even sure that's the issue...

Just my 2 cents..

- Ben
    If that's the case, let me buy it for $75 if the casing is still in good condition.
    Last edited by ChemEngr; 12/03/2004 at 12:44 PM.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    ccs, check your private messages.
  9. ccs
    Okay, now I've made it more interesting:

I ordered the battery, and NOW people are telling me it won't work. Sheesh.

So, I have a choice. I can "return to sender" the package when it gets here, and skip the battery experiment, or give it a go.

I don't do "ebay". Too much effort. Smashing things with a hammer is much more fun (trust me) and makes me feel better about living in this awful world with all the awful humans, BUT, perhaps a lucky soul will benefit from my misfortune with an extra phone. I will report back in a few days.
  10. ccs
    And why would I ever buy a Treo again? New or used, it just wasn't worth it. It's far too delicate for the price. Free phone and cheap PDA are just fine with me. Oh well, my first and last "expensive toy" purchase. I learned my lesson.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    Everybody here is preaching insurance. Do I have insurance? NO!!! Why? Because most credit cards now double the warranty period. For future reference, use a CC that has this benefit when making purchases. IMO the only thing phone insurance is good for is taking more money from consumers (monthly fees plus deductible). I know there are people that should get it but I've lived without it for years. Lastly, I would never pay $500 out of pocket for a phone, even if it's a Treo700 (well maybe ).
    You're correct in principle. Looking back, I wish I had purchased my phone on a cc but instead, I upgraded from another phone and SPCS rolled the hardware cost into my monthly bill (which was paid by check). But $4 bucks per month or $50 bucks per year is not unreasonable for a little piece of mind if you don't have the cc protection. Bottom line is that most people depend on this little bugger for a lot of their business and personal lives (communication, record keeping, planning, information gathering, etc) so one way or the other, you need to cover your own arse.
  12. ccs
    Quote Originally Posted by ttgchicago
    Once the warantee is up, why would they replace it for you for free? There isnt a company on the planet that works that way. You cant blame them for standard business practices, or for not "selling" you the insurance for that matter. Its your job as a consumer to do your due diligence.
    I thought I'd let this go, but I just can't.

I NEVER said I expected a FREE anything. I'm willing to pay for someone, ANYONE to FIX THE DAMN PHONE.

Sprint does NOT fix hardware. Instead, they replace your phone with a used/refurbished Treo. That's what I meant. Because I am a SprintPCS customer who DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THE INSURANCE, I cannot get replacement OR repair, FOR ANY PRICE. PERIOD.

And, YES, I CAN AND DO BLAME THEM FOR NOT OFFERING THE INSURANCE, because they could have said "if your phone dies for any reason, the only way to get it fixed or replaced is through the insurance". I've never heard of such nonsense - due dilligence of the customer - what planet are you from that this is acceptable to you?! Don't try to be helpful - you fail miserably at it.

I've had Palm devices die on me, and if it takes $200 to fix a $200 device, well obviously you throw it away and get a new one. But $200 to fix a $600 device (I know I said it was $500, but I was wrong, here is my order invoice):

The following items HAVE BEEN SHIPPED to date:

Treo Laptop Travel Cable
    (3152WW ) 1 @ $ 24.99
    Treo 600 with USB cable - Sprint
    (HSTR600HK) 1 @ $ 599.00

Item SubTotal: $ 623.99
    Shipping and Handling: $ 9.15
    Tax*: $ 54.61
    Duty**: $ 0.00
    ---------
    Total Charged to Date: $ 687.75

So, yes, my wife (not me, but my wife) paid over $650 for the phone, thanks to the fact that I was not purchasing a plan, but rolling over an exisiting plan. The phone only has a one-year warranty (yes, in hindsight, I should have stopped right there, but I really wanted to consolidate my phone/pager/PDA into one device) and I was NOT OFFERED ANY INSURANCE, probably because I was rolling the plan over.

If I buy a VCR or video camera, and it dies, I can take it to a shop and get it repaired (for a fee, which I'm willing to pay) because the repair shop can order PARTS from the MANUFACTURER. With the Treo/Sprint combo, this is an impossibility. I cannot speak for the other service providers.

The point of this thread is twofold: to warn other Treo/Sprint users what happens if they don't buy the insurance (some of them may not have known about it, like me) AND to learn if anyone knows a way I can salvage the phone. I do NOT want to hear "should have" "could have" BS from people. I already know what I should have done. Telling me what I already know just makes me want to hunt you down and beat you with a shovel.

A couple people have offered to take the device off my hands. I may oblige an offer, but only after the battery experiment has failed or I decide to skip it, week after next. Thanks for the constructive comments, no thanks to the MMQ's.
    I say smash it! Then mail half to Sprint, half to PalmOne. Include a nice nasty-gram in each. It probably won't do any good, but think of the great therapeutic results for you!
  14. ccs
    Troz,

Check your private messages. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    Don't confuse "insurance" with "warranty."

I doubled my warranty with Amex, which works cool IMHO. I also am flipping for the insurance on the Treo because Amex likely won't bail me out if I drop the phone, lose it, have it ripped off...

As one who has broken a few Palm screens over these past 7 years, I feel the odds are against the house when I pay $48/year ($4/mo) for $50 deductible replacement insurance on a $650 phone. If the phone fails on it's own after the PalmOne warranty is up, then Amex usually buys me a new device (and the $48 I paid Lockline over the year was well spent for the peace of mind - PalmOne wants about $150 just for a screen replacement!).
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    My service has been active 9 months today on my Treo 600, and my phone still works fine. I guess I lucked out, since it has been dropped a few times, even onto concrete. (A few scrapes, etc, as evidence).

The reason I'm going to be going away from Treo as of March 11th is not because of the Treo, but because Sprint service isn't good at my home, though most places in town it is decent.

And at this point, I don't want to spend the money required for a new 650 (Cingular) when it comes out.

I'll see how things are going in a year. I may be able to buy an used 650 by then, or decide that the Moto V551 is an adequate replacement.
    ccs, check your PMs... I sent you one on the 9th.
  18. ccs
    Troz,

Sorry about that, had a busy few days. I'll be checking in more frequently. Check your messages. Thanks.
    I don't know if it's because I have a Handspring Treo600 and not a PalmOne version, but I've had mine since early April with narry a problem. It's been dropped a couple of times, once hard, and it's still kicking.
    Brand new from Best Buy (with their extended warranty on it, hopefully I'll never find out if works or not.. ), Version C hardware, and outside of a couple of soft resets from bad software (my stuff), no problems.

Just lucky???

GB
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Mine acted up for one whole day.. then went back to acting normal. Once the phone hit 50% battery, it wouldn't make a call out. It would go "dialing" then "no service" then hang up and back to 4 bars of signal... plug it in, works fine. It's been working fine ever since, but I can't say I trust it to make it much longer. I don't have insurance at the moment but I think that was my signal that I should be adding it ASAP (tomorrow). I like the phone, but it most definitely has its bugs. I've had problems out of it that required soft resets (probably once a day or so) and problems that required hard resets (twice in 6 months). I still love it but I won't be buying another when it dies. I've decided I'm just going to go the small BT-capable phone + BT capable Windows Mobile PDA.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12