1.    #1  
    I have looked in to this in the past and there were no really clean solutions but I thought I'd pose the question again.

I use three computers, work desktop, home desktop, and laptop and would like to keep my address book and iCal up to date on all of them without going the .mac route.

I also have a 10.3 OS X Server at my disposal.

I wish I could somehow make it function like .mac where all my clients use it as the primary address book and iCal but the only thing I can do that I know of is phpiCal for publishing my iCal and nothing for address book.

Would I get into trouble having one of my computers set to synchronize everything, and the others set such that Treo overwrites Mac?

The downside would be that I could only update items on the client that was set to sychronize. The others would only be able to read from the Treo.

I wish there was a solution to what I'm sure is a common problem.
    of course the easy way is to just get a .mac account. I sync with a Treo 600 to my PowerBook and a Tungsten C to a iMac with a .mac account and all four stay in perfect sync.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by stineb
    I use three computers, work desktop, home desktop, and laptop and would like to keep my address book and iCal up to date on all of them without going the .mac route.

I also have a 10.3 OS X Server at my disposal.
    I believe it's possible with all 3 of your computers (even the laptop) to choose one of them to set up as a WebDAV server in which they can all sync to (or even publish to and serve). This is already built into OS X.
  4.    #4  
    From what I understand is that problem is that iSync doesn't just use a simple WebDAV protocol otherwise it would be fairly easy to just turn on WebDAV on 10.3 Server and point iSync to it as opposed to .mac
    Certainly you can publish and subscribe to calenders on WebDAV, but...

Stineb could be right about actually syncing to WebDAV Apple would probably not make it easy to forgo a service they actually make money off of.

Might try checking around the net. Maybe try macosxhints.com
    You can use You Synchronize for this. Works for me.

http://www.yousoftware.com/synchronize/
    Work is the province of cattle
    --Dorothy Parker
  7.    #7  
    Interesting idea. So what you do is keep a primary copy of your address book and iCal calendar on a server and use that software to syncronize the client computers?

It is going to be so easy to sync with multiple computers with Bluetooth since don't need a USB cable for each one.

It would just be nice to be able to keep them all up to date using the Treo650 as the primary source of current information and have it update each of the client computers.

iSync and .mac will do that because each time you sync the treo it updates your .mac files and snycornizes though them.

That is the sort of functionallity I'd like to have w/o the $70someodd bucks that .mac wants each year.
    Quote Originally Posted by stineb
    Interesting idea. So what you do is keep a primary copy of your address book and iCal calendar on a server and use that software to syncronize the client computers?
    Yeah, basically I keep my Palm synched with my desktop G5 via bluetooth, and then use You Synchronize to keep my PB in sync (via my 802.11 network). I would think that bluetooth would work just as well. Never tried it.
    Work is the province of cattle
    --Dorothy Parker