Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. RJR
    {I apologize up front if this has been answered already, but with 48 pages of thread topics available to me, the task of searching is daunting.}

I come from using Palm Pilots, Clies and the dreaded Blackberry and now I'm working with a Treo 650. One of the nice features in Blackberry thumbboard typing is that you don't have to constantly go to the Shift Key to get uppercase letters (you spend enough time with the "Alt" key to get numbers, etc.) With the BB, you can press and hold a key to make the letter uppercase and back with the Palm/Clie, there was a Hack for the area of your Graffiti field that would get you uppercase letters as well.

Is there any equivalent shortcut/hack/freeware/shareware that I could use to ease my typing thumbs?

Thanks in advance.

-RJR
    I like SmartCell's TextPlus predictive text application. They just released a verson for the T650 and it works great. (I'm not sure if this addresses your specific issue, but thought I'd pass it on...)

You can download a trial version at www.smartcell.com
    search for keycaps 600. It will do exactly what you want, as well as giving you other options (like a rapid double click to get the number or special character). I don't use the shift key ever, and I only use the option key if I have a long string of numbers to enter.

Best part: it's free!
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I tried Keycaps600. I works exactly as described; the problem I had was that I was typing double letters too quickly and getting the option key item instead. I just couldn't 'teach' myself to type slower! Ended up disabling it.
    ratsey:

The double click time is configurable. I can set it so short that it's impossible to double click fast enough to activate the special character, which would give identical functionality to the Blackberry. What I've actually done is set it short enough that my normal typing pace doesn't trigger the double-click action, but I can still double-click more quickly when I want to.

If you really don't like the double click, you can also configure keycaps so that holding the key down cycles through the various options: lower -> Upper -> Option (so pressing and holding it will first show a lower case letter, holding it a little longer switches to upper, and holding it still longer gives you the number/special character).

It's very configurable.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  6. RJR
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    search for keycaps 600. It will do exactly what you want, as well as giving you other options (like a rapid double click to get the number or special character). I don't use the shift key ever, and I only use the option key if I have a long string of numbers to enter.

Best part: it's free!

Sounds great, I'll give it a try, THANKS!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Bob - I've changed both settings to 200ms. Will see how I get on with that! Out of interest, what do you have yours set to?
    200ms works great for me.
    When I try to use Keycaps on my 650 it turns the general sounds back on, and when I try to turn them off again I can't, they stay at volume 1, not OFF!?
    ^ atif, that is happening to mine too. general sounds don't seem to stay off with keycaps enabled.
    can someone explain this.... according to Sprint's own www site the treo 650 already has predictive text already on it!!

"Predictive Text Input- Compose your messages easier and faster with predictive text input using the phone's built-in dictionary. Predictive text input lets the device predict the text you enter, and makes sending message simple and more efficient."

If this is true how the hell do I turn it on?!
    Quote Originally Posted by iSyncT608
    can someone explain this.... according to Sprint's own www site the treo 650 already has predictive text already on it!!

"Predictive Text Input- Compose your messages easier and faster with predictive text input using the phone's built-in dictionary. Predictive text input lets the device predict the text you enter, and makes sending message simple and more efficient."

If this is true how the hell do I turn it on?!
    i think that's a case of clueless marketdroids (is there any other kind?) pulling it straight out of their bum.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    I don't have a Treo 650 yet, because I have to wait for the GSM version. However, the only reason KeyCaps600 touched the system sounds at all was to deal with a special case for the 0/Alt key. Since Alt has it's own key now, I don't believe that's necessary. The only change in the version attached here is that I've commented out anything having to do with the system sounds. I expect this should fix the problem (though I'm not sure why it's happening in the first place.)

Let me know.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    I've been having success with ShortCut5.
    I think the blurb about the 650 dictionary was talking about the SMS QUickText feature...
    Thanks metsfan. I will try it out. I was wondering why sounds were always funky on my 650. Didn't connect it to KeyCaps.

BTW, seems like your team now has my favorite pitcher. Congrats (I guess. I think NYM overpaid).
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Thanks metsfan. I will try it out. I was wondering why sounds were always funky on my 650. Didn't connect it to KeyCaps.

BTW, seems like your team now has my favorite pitcher. Congrats (I guess. I think NYM overpaid).
    So do I. In fact, I'm pretty upset we got Pedro at all. I don't think the Mets will be terribly good the next four years.

/offtopic
    Quote Originally Posted by metsfan
    So do I. In fact, I'm pretty upset we got Pedro at all. I don't think the Mets will be terribly good the next four years.

/offtopic

Well pray to gawd you don't get Sosa then! You guys will be really hurtin' then!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    So has anyone tried the new KeyCaps here? Does it fix the sound issue?
    So far so good. Doesn't mean it's perfect, but it seems okay so far. FYI, for all those upgrading, go into the sound panel and turn the system sound to 1 and then back to none. As it is, it's set to none but still makes the sound. This will reset the setting.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast