1.    #1  
    Hi all,
    On my desktop I am a compulsive backer-upper, and I image my hard disk so that I can pretty much recover from a complete HD crash with a single click by just reloading the most recent image.

Is there an equivalent thing to hard drive imaging on a Treo? In other words, let's say I have to hard reset my device and I lose all my data. What is the best way to bring everything back to the way it was in the least amount of time?

Thanks!!
    Make sure you're completely sync'd with your PC and then just do a HotSync... it'll install all applications, ringers, etc... at least that's what I've been able to do on my 600 - haven't had to hard reset my 650... yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrack
    Make sure you're completely sync'd with your PC and then just do a HotSync... it'll install all applications, ringers, etc... at least that's what I've been able to do on my 600 - haven't had to hard reset my 650... yet...
    wow you're lucky. i'm re-synching right now, had to hard reset on the train last night... went into a reset loop using AOL and switching between phone screen and IM screen
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  4. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I have had to hard reset my Treo at least a dozen times. A simple Hotsync with my PC restores everything (at least up to the point of my previous Hotsync). This works great if you are at home and have quick access to your PC. Away from home it ain't going to help. There are programs to back-up your data directly to an SD card so you don't need to Hotsync. I have read that this product is good but I have no first hand experience with it:

BackUpBuddy
    Some time ago I asked this question and I was told that I needed to install a program called Syncall. They indicated that there were some things that did not get backed up on a normal hot sync.
    Anyway, I installed syncall and sinse have had to do a couple hard resets and two new Treo 600's and a hotsync (with sycall installed) brought everything back 100%.
    Curt
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
    ok.. how is it that you do a hard reset?
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonslayer76
    ok.. how is it that you do a hard reset?
    - Open the battery cover
    - Press and hold the End/Hang Up button on the front of the phone
    - Press the reset button under the battery cover
    - Continue holding the End/Hang Up button until the round "Palm" logo appears on screen
    - Release the End/Hang Up button
    - Press up on the 5-way.

This should restore the original out-of-the-box configuration.
    You can try a program like Backupman.
    It backs up images of your phone onto the SD card and you can then restore the whole image or individual files back to the phone.
    Backupman is my preferred SD backup app on the Treo 600. However, I'm not sure if the latest version is compatible yet with the 650...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for all the helpful responses, everyone
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    The latest, greatest version of BackupMan for the 650 has been posted over on the Bits 'n Bolts page.

ERic
    Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    You can try a program like Backupman.
    It backs up images of your phone onto the SD card and you can then restore the whole image or individual files back to the phone.
    I noticed that everyone seems to use the word "image" when referring to backup files. Did something in the technology change? Are "images" complete files backups or are they just what the name implies, a "picture" of what the file looked like?
    Or was there just a switch of the name itself to images?
    Nobody Died when Clinton Lied!!
    If you do a regular hotsync, not everything gets restored, in particular some preferences and some serial numbers.

I was the one who suggested using syncall in another thread, I am not sure if it is compatible with the 650, I have not tried it yet, but it sets the backup bit of everything on the palm (including rom files) to backup on.

Backupman has been my favorite utility for the 600 where I had backups scheduled every night at 3am, that way with any crash I had during the day I could restore to the state of my treo that morning. Also it allows you to restore individual files (as opposed to the whole image) in case you mess a single file up.
    They are working on 650 compatibility, from what I know there is 1 version and a few beta out there, but people have had positive and negative experiences with it. I got my 650 yesterday so I am going to try backupman tonight, I will let you know what my results are.