Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys! I was at Office Depot today and the guy said that they just got in the new "Blueberry". Is that better than the Treo 650?
    WTF is a blueberry?
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pcsnpixels
    Hey guys! I was at Office Depot today and the guy said that they just got in the new "Blueberry". Is that better than the Treo 650?
    We need more info than that.

In my opinion, the Blackberry/Blueberry makes an "ok" PDA, but makes an outstanding email device. The Treo is a pretty impressive PDA, and a pretty good wireless web device, but only a fair email device (assuming no additional 3rd party packages are used).

What are your priorities in a device? There are no perfect PDAs.
  4.    #4  
    Ok - here's the situation. I was in Office Depot trying out the smarter.com SMS price comparison service on my Treo 600 when the astute young man who works there told me that he thought the new "blueberry" was better than my Treo. I tried to tell him that you eat blueberries and talk on Backberries. He wasn't convinced.
    You are asking a very BIASED crowd.
    Ok - here's the situation. I was in Office Depot trying out the smarter.com SMS price comparison service on my Treo 600 when the astute young man who works there told me that he thought the new "blueberry" was better than my Treo. I tried to tell him that you eat blueberries and talk on Backberries. He wasn't convinced.
    What are backberries?
    Quote Originally Posted by alee
    We need more info than that.

In my opinion, the Blackberry/Blueberry makes an "ok" PDA, but makes an outstanding email device. The Treo is a pretty impressive PDA, and a pretty good wireless web device, but only a fair email device (assuming no additional 3rd party packages are used).

What are your priorities in a device? There are no perfect PDAs.
    That's a very fair statement. But anyone who tells you that Treos are completely incapable of better-than-BB email is either ignorant or is trying to fill a quota.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    here's a great comparison chart I made, and others helped me fill in.

Basically, the blackberry is a workhorse for email, but the Treo is an all around great organizer/mp3 player/phone/email device.

for some reason, i can't post the excel file here, but send me your email address and i'll email it to you.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    That's a very fair statement. But anyone who tells you that Treos are completely incapable of better-than-BB email is either ignorant or is trying to fill a quota.
    Chatter email (when up and running) works better than BB! I say this as a 4 year BB user who switched to the T600 and Chatter 2 months ago - comparisons are not close!
    Some people are calling some of the 72xx and 75xx series blackberry units "Blueberries" because they are blue in color instead of the traditional BLACK of the older 65xx series devices.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    The BBs are almost ***** proof and rugged. Handle email pretty well if you dont mind the lousy screan. Also cheaper than the Treo

Companies like them for all of those reasons plus there is not much you can add to it 3rd party wise that could cause problems for IT guys.

Treos as they are cannot really compete with the use most companies put the BBs to, Treo is more expensive, more fragilie, and can be messed up with apps that cause crashes. The RIM deal with the Treo will allow upper managment types to use a Treo on the same system that the lower level workers use their BBs.
    he's probably talking about the blackberry 7100. the one that looks more like a phone...
    well I will be interested to see RIM actually come out with BES 4.0 and work well with the Treo 600/650 and do exactly like what BB's do. I have heard promises from BB in the past to be able to put there email capabilities on other devices and it has not come to pass. Even when it does, the Treo's will not have the same capabilities on BES 4.0.

For a BB experience on a Treo go with Good Technology. My company just did, and it works great. It works with Microsoft outlook and go's above and beyond what I had with the BB.

Goodbye and Good riddance to the BB.
    I would really like to get the 650, as I currently carry a phone and a T3 Palm, but need something to handle extensive email for work. Others in my small office have blackberries but they have trouble with attachments (not enough memory I am told, plus you can't edit attachments). I thought the 650 would fix that problem, even if it means I need to buy a memory card. However, I read on another thread that there might be a 2MB limit on file attachments, and that would be a problem for me.

Assuming that limit exists on the 650 (which I assume is the case based on the prior thread), does that same limit exist on the blackberry?

Does that limit actually exist on the 650 and does third-party software fix that problem? Thanks much!
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo
    Chatter email (when up and running) works better than BB! I say this as a 4 year BB user who switched to the T600 and Chatter 2 months ago - comparisons are not close!
    I am a GSM 600 user who would be moving to a PDA2K were it not for Chatter. Despite wifi and the other powerful features on the PDA2K, I don't think I could find a PPC solution that gets me something close to Chatter.
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah
    he's probably talking about the blackberry 7100. the one that looks more like a phone...
    I agree. Having trialed the 7100t and being fairly unbiased between P1 and BB, I find the 650 to be of superior build quality and a far more flexible device. However, it is 3x the price (the BB was $150 - I do not know if this price still holds). I returned the BB primarily due to my need for stronger attachment handling and stronger PIM functions than the BB offered, but the 7100t was a really strong device for the money.

Head-to-head in a "my phone is better than your phone" contest, however, the 650 would be the winner, hands down.
    HP 95-LX > Pilot 5000 > Cassiopeia 105 > Cassiopeia 115 > Handspring Visor > Palm M505 > Toshiba e740 > Palm Tungsten C > Palm Tungsten T3 > Dell Axim X30 > Treo 650
    650 might be superior but depends on needs as many companies only support blackberry and the current 650 isn't capable as a global phone.due to the many issues reported here,many of the features of the 650 aren't features in that they aren't functional for many...eg Bluetooth
    Hello. Some input from old Europe. I do have a Treo 270 (equivalent to US 300) and a Blackberry 7730 (latest model, large screen, black though).
    Treo is very user friendly, wih touch screen and possibility to load 3rd applications running on Palm OS. On the negative side, less reliable re network connection (looses connection or does not reconnect), battery (less a problem for 650 I understand) and tends to freeze.
    The Blackberry is a corporate one, with IT support from my firm. I will never use it as a smartphone as 1. no touch screen 2. very few 3rd party application available as it runs on Blackberry OS. This said, absolutely reliable, excellent e mail capabilities with attachments especially and smooth integration/sync into my office Outlook (mail and calendar).
    To sum up: if priority is user-friendliness, phone/PDA integration and 3rd party applications, go for the Treo. If you need mostly safe e mail and calendar and only rarely the phone part, Blackberry is a strong choice.
    Agreed that Blackberries have limited third party applications though progress has been made:

1. Word/Excel/PPT editing
    2. Good choice of games (e.g., via. Magmic Texas Aces Holdem)
    3. Other utilities (e.g., password safe although not as needed on a Blackberry).

On the later BB's you can install Java apps so there are a host of applications like Reqwireless that are available (and run amazingly well). The Java run-time is included in the platform.

In addition, applications that I would go to a third party for on the Palm (separate alarm from calendar) are built-in to the bb I use (7100T).

One feature that I really like on the bb is that you can read attachments from email (natively) and there is a view changes feature that allows you to see redline changes to Word documents (excellent for reviewing contracts under a deadline when you are stuck in a cab in NYC, Paris, London, etc.) as well as the way the bb reads email from the server grabbing what is needed as you read an email (vs. pulling the whole email and attachment if not needed).

The bb phone bluetooth performance is outstanding. My Motorola 820/7100T allows me to walk around the first level of my home (within reason) as well as keep a connection on even when I walk upstairs (with our without static depending on where I am upstairs).

I miss the T600 touchscreen somewhat but once you get used to the quirky navigation shortcuts on the BB it is manageable. The addeded benefit is that the phone stays much more presentable (without fingerprints).

After making the switch from T600 to the 7100T I could see starked quality difference in the way the 7100T outperforms the T600 on stability, call quality and core features for a business user (especially working blue tooth). I consumed the grape cool-aid for a year (mostly due to the strength of this forum and my enjoyment of the tinker factor the T600 provided) but realized that my key goal for a device is to reliably support me in my business, provide a good call experience to my customers/associates and become more accessible (globally and via. email). My Treo 600 wasn't providing what I (in my situation) need.

I love the concept of the Treo line (I've owned a T300 and T600) and am hoping for bb support and stability/higher quality before moving back.
    Quote Originally Posted by camartin
    Agreed that Blackberries have limited third party applications though progress has been made:

1. Word/Excel/PPT editing

...One feature that I really like on the bb is that you can read attachments from email (natively) and there is a view changes feature that allows you to see redline changes to Word documents (excellent for reviewing contracts under a deadline when you are stuck in a cab in NYC, Paris, London, etc.)
    Wow, maybe I really missed the boat on this when trying the 7100t - Are you referring to a 3rd party app that allows this? I was only able to view Excel attachments (and not very well) on the 7100t. I was under the impression that the attachment handling of MSFT Office files on the BB was not even close to that of the Treo using Docs to Go.

The bb phone bluetooth performance is outstanding.
    Agreed - it is a solid performer - especially for the price.

...I miss the T600 touchscreen somewhat but once you get used to the quirky navigation shortcuts on the BB it is manageable.
    As I remember, there was a lot of debate re: the 7100t using the BB keyboard shortcuts. I thought that due to the unique keyboard, 7100 did not use the same BB shortcuts.

I missed the touchscreen a little as well. The keyboard on the 7100t I found to be cumbersome. I know everyone says that after a few hours, you will love it, but (maybe because I am now past my mid-30s) it seemed to be more trouble than it is worth. Especially having to switch back and forth from predictive to multi-tap quite often. It had advantages, however, when just dialing a phone # (due to the larger keys compared to the Treo) and was fine for looking up contacts. This is clearly a matter of personal opinion

The first time I had to use a dial-by-name voicemail directory, I freaked on the 7100t only to figure out that the BB sent the letter equivalent tone when typing a letter - ie, when you type "B" it sends a "2". This is genious. Why doesn't P1 put this in the Treo? I hate having to pull up the on-screen keypad to dial by name when I have a qwerty keyboard right there. Maybe they do and I again oblivious.

The 7100t keyboard felt soft and somewhat cheap to me - again for $150 - to be expected.

...7100T outperforms the T600 on stability, call quality and core features for a business user (especially working blue tooth).
    They originally crippled the BT on the 7100t due to TMo's implementation - I did not find the BT any better on the 7100 than the 650.
    HP 95-LX > Pilot 5000 > Cassiopeia 105 > Cassiopeia 115 > Handspring Visor > Palm M505 > Toshiba e740 > Palm Tungsten C > Palm Tungsten T3 > Dell Axim X30 > Treo 650
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast