Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin
    And yet every poll on TC seems to contradict this. Most folks seem happy with theirs. Personally, I'm what would be considered a "power-user", yet I have over 10Mb free (thanks to ZLauncher). It seems that folks who are unhappy want to convince themselves that they're the majority, and try to bully everyone else into silence.

Okay, you can now post the inevitable "shut up...you're a Palm tool...you're obviously not as much a power user as me...." message.
    I use my 600 to assist me in my business. I can not at present transfer all my data to a 650. Do you think I have a legitimant complaint? This board is riddled with 600 users having transfer issues. So much so P1 found it necessary to address it. I ask you, were the hell is the progress?

As for your zlauncher solution, it's patchwork.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 12/02/2004 at 11:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmossberg
    Just to set the record straight: I paid for my Treo 650, and for the Treo 600 before it, with my own money. And I paid full price. It is unethical for journalists and reviewers to take free products, or even discounts, or to keep for themselves items lent for review. I never do this. If I want a product, I first return the review unit, then buy one for myself at normal retail prices. I do have an expense account, of course, but when it comes to very personal products, like the Treo or iPod, I buy them with my own money so they are my own property and not the Journal's.

-- Walt Mossberg
    Wall Street Journal
    Uh, yeah, suuuuuuuuure "Walt".
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    Mr. Mossberg, you have presumably read this entire thread concerning your article. You can see that many of us are interpreting it in widely varying ways. Some think you are being quite positive, saying that very few will be affected, and some think you are pointing out a serious flaw and that you are disappointed. Tell us, please, how bad a mistake do you feel PalmOne made with this memory issue? Is it just a minor little problem, or a "disaster" or somewhere in between?
    Lama, don't be a sucker.

"Walt" is laughing it up.
    Mr. Mossberg, you have presumably read this entire thread concerning your article. You can see that many of us are interpreting it in widely varying ways. Some think you are being quite positive, saying that very few will be affected, and some think you are pointing out a serious flaw and that you are disappointed. Tell us, please, how bad a mistake do you feel PalmOne made with this memory issue? Is it just a minor little problem, or a "disaster" or somewhere in between?

Disaster.

- Malt Wossberg
    Mall Street Journal

Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Lama, don't be a sucker.

"Walt" is laughing it up.
    Or should it be "llama"?
    Uh, yeah, suuuuuuuuure "Walt".
    Aw come on!

It COULD be him - really!

Giggle.
    Hand writing matches. I just checked it against the NYT.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Aw come on!

Giggle.
    Well, there ya have it!
    Oh ye of little faith. Notice that "Walt" stuck to the issue of purchase and didn't get into slamming or praising. Now, if I were to want to impersonate ol' Walt, I might have gone off on some tirade positive or negative. Otherwise, what's the point? Play along, kids. Ya never know.....
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Aw come on!

Giggle.
    Yes, it could be him.

And I could have winged monkeys (ala Wizard of Oz) flying out of me arse.
    Doesn't that hurt?
    Oh ye of little faith. Notice that "Walt" stuck to the issue of purchase and didn't get into slamming or praising. Now, if I were to want to impersonate ol' Walt, I might have gone off on some tirade positive or negative. Otherwise, what's the point? Play along, kids. Ya never know.....
    The only faith I have is in Faith Hill (insert rimshot, or maybe moneyshot is more (un)appropriate)

As the Enemy of Scammers, Lama, you of all people should know how it's done.

Soft post, to gain credibility, then lead you down the garden path (and not to enlightenment).

Moss is hardly up at 11:30 at night, trolling the TC boards to defend his honor. He writes for WSJ...this is TC. Now while I know we think a lot of ourselves, let's not go to far.
    Doesn't that hurt?

It only hurts when I laugh, which is happening quite a lot lately.

"now Bubbles, if you don't behave, it's back to Neverland Ranch for you!"
    Now you have Bubbles coming out of your arse??
    As the Enemy of Scammers, Lama, you of all people should know how it's done.
    Look, the real Mossberg never answered my emails. Can't I at least have a dialogue with the Fake Mossberg? It would make me feel ever so impo'tant!! Besides, the real one will get wind of the imposter and be forced to grace us with his presence. Thanks for ruining MY scam!! ;-)
    Look, the real Mossberg never answered my emails. Can't I at least have a dialogue with the Fake Mossberg? It would make me feel ever so impo'tant!! Besides, the real one will get wind of the imposter and be forced to grace us with his presence. Thanks for ruining MY scam!! ;-)

A thousands pardons! You smart fortune cookie. Always two steps ahead of poor mikec.

In future, I not let the cat out of the bag (but it will end up on lunch menu)
    Well, it sounded good as a face saving maneuver, didn't it?

Nice to see you dine at the same fine establishments I frequent...
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    What Mossberg and others keep missing, IMO, is that, in the long run, it will NOT be the power users that willl be hurt most by the memory problem, but the average guy.

The power users know how to use ZLauncher and play with the SD cards and are able to swap apps back and forth and will, otherwise, find ways around the problem.

The average guy has no inclination or desire to go throough all that even IF they understand how to do it. Sure, at first they will be ok (IF they dont have TOO many contacts) But just wait until they add a cool mapping program, or vioce dial or a South Beach Diet database. Then they will start having problems and they won't be able to work around it like the TC folks will and wouldnt want to even if they could..
    I agree with you midmofan. What the P1 Apologists refuse to admit for some reason is that the average user doesn't want to have to buy an SD Card (i.e. Sprint PCS still officially denies that it will provide these for free to users despite the chatter to the contrary), buy a program such as Powerrun to move the bulk of their programs to a card, and pray that their card doesn't fail when they need to access one of their programs residing on the card. Also, anything on the card runs a bit slower, even with a so called "high speed" SD Card. Very few people could truthfully state that they could use their phone to the extent that they want to without buying an SD Card and a utility program.
    Quote Originally Posted by finkkatz
    I agree with you midmofan. What the P1 Apologists refuse to admit for some reason is that the average user doesn't want to have to buy an SD Card (i.e. Sprint PCS still officially denies that it will provide these for free to users despite the chatter to the contrary), buy a program such as Powerrun to move the bulk of their programs to a card, and pray that their card doesn't fail when they need to access one of their programs residing on the card. Also, anything on the card runs a bit slower, even with a so called "high speed" SD Card. Very few people could truthfully state that they could use their phone to the extent that they want to without buying an SD Card and a utility program.

I have to agree here.

Does the purchase of an SD card, the installation of Power Run, and associating the applications to the SD card pretty much cross one over the threshold of "power user".

I mean, really ... how many soccermom's out there are going to do this?

Without the power user, the Treo's userbase is insufficient to keep it solvent.

It's would be like SGI ignoring the worstation power user and aiming for Joe and Jane that just like to surf the web and check email.

Sure, it's a more powerful machine than that $500 Pentium III machine, but will this marketing strategy fly?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345